Mac Applications forum

Question

Problems with Mail

by haajaa / May 12, 2012 9:05 PM PDT

*Mails have not been received: For weeks on end during the last few years. Then suddenly, they arrive again, but not the ones I didn't receive. Sending has worked ok.

*Mails disappear: When I open them on my iPhone, being close to my iMac, they sometimes suddenly disappear. In fact, all new ones vanish, both on the Mac and on the iPhone. I suspect interference from radio waves.

*Anyone sending me mails gets an "undeliverable" message, but the mails arrive!

Is there anyone out there who can explain these problems, or suggest how to solve them?

Much obliged.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems with Mail
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems with Mail
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Frankly? Try Gmail.com
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 14, 2012 4:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Problems with Mail

I can not explain ANY of the issues you noted given the details so far. But I would head to gmail.com on a web browser and try a gmail account next without using ANY MAIL APP!
Bob

Collapse -
Problems with Mail
by haajaa / May 15, 2012 4:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Frankly? Try Gmail.com

Thank you, I have already been using gmail for some time, but I would prefer to keep my old email address.
Thanks anyway.
Haakon

Collapse -
Then back to that email provider.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2012 2:36 AM PDT

The undeliverable part of the issue will be something they will have to fix. It's not a MAIL issue.

Collapse -
Problems with Mail
by haajaa / May 17, 2012 4:15 AM PDT

That's right, but the real problem is: I can't find a single contact point at Apple for my problem!
It's deeply frustrating - do you know something I don't?
Haakon

Collapse -
So far, I don't see why to contact Apple.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2012 4:18 AM PDT

I re-read this discussion and the mail server was not revealed or I missed it.

We know that RoadRunner does this a lot and frankly? Good luck in getting them to fix that!
Bob

Collapse -
The mail server
by haajaa / May 19, 2012 2:55 PM PDT

The mail server for incoming mail is mail.me.com, Apple's own. That's the reason I thought they would be able to fix it.

Outgoing server is smtp.me.com.

I looked into RoadRunner's site. I may be daft of course, but I couldn't find a way to register to get past the opening page?

Collapse -
I just took a look at my @mac.com email settings in Mail
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 20, 2012 12:05 AM PDT
In reply to: The mail server

and they are NOT what yours are!

Remember that the whole dot Mac thing moved over to the iCloud and everything changed, including the mail server settings.

Might be an idea if you made sure that your iCloud account is configured correctly in the System Preferences/iCloud

Then go to www.icloud.com and make sure that your dot Mac account has been migrated to the iCloud.

Then take one of your other computers and delete the .Mac account and add it back in again.

P

Collapse -
What is the end part of your email address?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 17, 2012 9:35 PM PDT

the part after the @ ?

Don't post your whole address, just the end part of the one that you have problems with.

P

Collapse -
(NT) Good question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 18, 2012 12:39 AM PDT
Collapse -
The end part of my email address
by haajaa / May 19, 2012 2:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Good question.

is @mac.com.

Thanks.

Haajaa

Collapse -
Answer
stop using mail app
by datarecovery2012 / May 15, 2012 1:22 PM PDT

you can try to stop using mail app. maybe it is helpful.

Collapse -
Problems with Mail
by haajaa / May 15, 2012 4:27 PM PDT
In reply to: stop using mail app

Thank you, I have switched gmail some time ago, but I would like to keep my old email address.
Thanks anyway.
Haakon

Collapse -
Answer
We can't explain it. That's up to the folk that run email ..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2012 4:32 AM PDT

That's up to the folk that run the email servers. We can discuss how email servers work but since we don't administer such we can't fix it.

The message is very common when a mail server is overloaded. The sending server will notify the sender of the email that it didn't make it but most servers will try again later. That's why it may go through.

But while all that is interesting to know how it all works, it won't be any one company to contact and even then it's unclear they will be able to do anything (such as Roadrunner?) since most of this is all about the SPAM emails that flood the servers. If you could cut out the spam, we'd likely have more than twice as much email server than we really need.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
PS. I don't want to sound as if there is no solution.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2012 6:25 AM PDT

But if your email is on some cranky server, all the above can happen. But the small details are not here so we have to discuss what we can based on the supplied details.

Collapse -
The small details
by haajaa / May 19, 2012 3:24 PM PDT

My system is OSX 10.6.8 Snow Leopard on an iMac with a 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, and several others; MacPro, MacBook Pro 17", MacBook Pro 15", Mac Mini at four different locations and on the road. The Mail version is 4.5. No machine is older than three years. The iPhone is a G3, two years old, System version 3.1.3.

I have been using Macs since my first Plus in 1989, and I have never, ever experienced anything like this!

Most problems I could fix myself, and that is one reason why I have stuck to Mac: I love it, but this is really enervating.

Thanks

Haajaa

Collapse -
Ahh. Mac.com email.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2012 3:32 PM PDT
In reply to: The small details

Even I have a backup email account. Gmail, yahoo and the company address. Not one client seems to be upset or concerned when the email comes from one of my three accounts.

Just like our data files, we have backup.
Bob

Collapse -
See my reply above,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 20, 2012 12:06 AM PDT
In reply to: The small details

regarding the dot mac accounts and the iCloud.

You should now have a dot Me account as well.

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.