Computer Help forum

General discussion

Problems with Loading Pictures on Internet Explorer

by azuth82 / April 4, 2004 12:38 AM PST

Hi,

I'm having some problems with loading pictures on internet explorer. My OS is windows xp, home edition. I'm using a laptop, Pentium 1.6 Ghz centrino chipset. I'm using IE 6.0. I had no problems until a few weeks ago, when certain pictures from yahoo.com and cnet.com would never load, I get cross signs instead. The webpages also took very long to load. I checked for spyware using Adaware and viruses using an updated norton, and i still had the same problem. I could still view pictures on other websites/webpages. It's only for cnet and yahoo that I can't get any pictures. I checked my Java Virtual Machine version and it's updated. I tried uninstalling internet explorer but I couldn't find it under add/remove programs.

What's wrong? Please help.

Thanks.

Azuth

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems with Loading Pictures on Internet Explorer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems with Loading Pictures on Internet Explorer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Problems with Loading Pictures on Internet Explorer
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2004 12:55 AM PST
Collapse -
Re:Re:Problems with Loading Pictures on Internet Explorer
by azuth82 / April 4, 2004 1:21 AM PST

I tried the steps in the link provided. I didn't have any problems reading emails in html format. However, the same problem for internet explorer still persists.

Collapse -
''Red X''
by Cursorcowboy / April 4, 2004 8:57 AM PDT
Collapse -
by BigD / April 29, 2004 11:38 PM PDT

Go to Start | Run and type this command
regsvr32 /i shdoc401.dll After a bit
it should come back with a message that the DLL was registered.

If that doesn't fix it, and it probably won't, open regedit.exe and navigate to
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg (note the dot before jpg)
For Content Type is, it should say "image/jpeg"

Same for .jpe and .jpeg

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.gif
For Content Type is, it should say "image/gif
Also, check [HKEY CLASSES ROOT\.gif]
"Content Type"="image/gif"

[HKEY CLASSES ROOT\.jpg]
"Content Type"="image/jpeg"

[HKEY CLASSES ROOT\.jpeg]
"Content Type"="image/jpeg"

(and so on)

It turns out when I had this problem, my content type for both .gif and .jpg were listed as "image/bmp".I changed these to "image/gif" and "image/jpeg", respectively - and that fixed it!!See if this works for you.

Collapse -
Red X
by flcrist / September 23, 2005 10:57 AM PDT

Tried what you said......didn't work for me! Trust it didn't mess anything up.

Collapse -
by TDB / May 1, 2004 2:20 AM PDT

When you started having the problem with the blocked pix, had you recently installed a pop up blocker or web accelerator with pop up blocking?? We had installed an accelerator on our computer with the blocker turned on and gor the red X's you describe.
You might check on this.

Collapse -
by cmccarle2000 / May 1, 2004 4:40 AM PDT

I had this problem too. Got a rectangle where the image should be and a little red X in the upper left corner. This went on for 3 days and it finally fixed its self some how. I didn't do anything to fix it

Collapse -
by kinseeker / May 1, 2004 10:34 AM PDT

Well, I have tried everyones suggestions and still no luck with the pix. Grif, all of my settings were just as you advised. It's annoying but its only usually a joke so that is not like I am missing out on something important. Thanks for all the advice

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Problems with Loading Pictures on Internet Explorer
by terpy / May 3, 2004 12:43 PM PDT

I had this problem and tried everything anyone anywhere on the Web suggested. Finally posted an email to MS support and they actually responded. Unfortunately, their advice was to reformat my hard drive and reinstall XP. That is what I was finally forced to do, because I needed to see the graphics at one site in particular for work stuff. Sigh. Good luck.

Collapse -
Problems with Loading Pictures on Internet Explorer
by newarah / December 13, 2008 8:29 PM PST

sometimes, z very simple solution will work, as it did for me.
Tools-internet options-Advanced---under multimedia check the show pitures option.
zat's it, i found it from MS support site.
hu knowz..

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.