Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Problems with loading a program on a drive other than C:

by Dizzyt / March 17, 2012 10:37 AM PDT

Guys what the main problem on this computer is thats it a windows XP motherboard trying desperately to run Win7. It can to a point, but is having issues as Win 7 improves etc. etc. Now my gaming rig is Win7 has a far better graphics platform but has a small C drive. Initially it ran Rfactor (online car racing, and I organize races for a team of guys, we do this weekly and consequently I have several other related programs) and that was all it was going to run.
So since then another group of us play BF3 and I've always liked the golf games so I ported those to games across to the gaming rig - hence the reason they are on another drive. I could get another larger drive and start again from scratch but it is to damn awkward at the moment because of the racing season has started.

Obviously there is a problem with TW writing log files to my I: drive but I would have thought Origin Had thought of that when they are saying that you can install the game on another drive (other than C: Drive)

It looks like BF3 gets around the issue by having a cloud save. But TW12 is having issues with that and is not allowing me to get on Line - I just want a fix....................

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems with loading a program on a drive other than C:
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems with loading a program on a drive other than C:
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm confused.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 17, 2012 10:22 PM PDT

I can't see where you have stated the problem. Sorry.

"You 'ported' these games to the gaming rig". What does that mean?

I will just say that moving program files from one OS to another rarely works. It may have worked in Windows 95, but Microsoft stopped that when they moved to shared DLLs and other things.

We always say this in these forums. If you want programs and applications, (including games), that are installed on one computer to work on a different computer, then you need to "Install them" onto the new computer.

Whether the programs are installed onto the root drive or some other drive or partition shouldn't matter, although some applications may baulk at that. I can think of Adobe products that insist on being installed on the C drive, and there may be others.

Collapse -
Clear the confusion
by Dizzyt / March 18, 2012 2:52 PM PDT
In reply to: I'm confused.

Ok basically what has happened - Battlefield 3 (BF3) and Tiger Woods Tour 12 (TW) were running on one of my computers. There was graphics problems etc..
1. This computer is a XP motherboard trying and sort of running with difficulty Win7.
2. Both of these games were bought thru Origin online.
3. I have another computer running rfactor (Online Car Racing Game) which has a small C: Drive (80G) [Gaming Rig]
Now the gaming rig C: drive has quite a few programs (which are needed) to run rfactor and to keep records (I'm an Admin for the group that play this) and the seasons is now running.

Now thru Origin I can reload these programs onto another of my computers (no probs) but because of there not being enough room on C: Drive it allows me to load to another drive. Now, both programs run happily without any problems BUT with BF3 it doesn't want to save the data and to keep it after the computer has been turned off - even though it supposedly saves it to the cloud storage (now I can go back to the game where I left off if I haven't turned the computer off) which is weird. Which means I have to start all over again.(I'm playing this (Campaign Mode -offline)so as to get used to the game before going online).
I'm wondering is there a reference file/folder that is missing in C: Drive ??? I cant seem to find one even on the problem computer.
Also to compound the issue TW runs offline but not online(because it tries to create an update log file) and says it cant so it will not let me on line. Again I have tried to find the file Location on the problem computer but cant.

I do have a larger drive now in the gaming rig but I'm reluctant to start with loading win7 and then trying to reload all the data/programs because it is going to create to many problems. If there was a way that I could transport C:Drive to the larger drive that would probably solve the issue. But how and I'd want it to work, no ifs or buts.
And funds do not allow me to update motherboard/cpu/ram on this computer(problem one)

Sorry about the length of this but at least I think its now been explained relatively clearly.

Collapse -
A good description of the problem
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 18, 2012 9:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Clear the confusion

and thank you.

But I'm stumped. It seems these games, BF3 and TW 12 installed properly onto a 2nd drive and work well, BF3 online and TW 12 offline, but BF3 doesn't allow you to return to the game even though it saves data to the cloud. With TW 12 you cannot play online because it tries to create an update file.

I'm guessing now and I suspect you're going to have to ask about these problems elsewhere, eg BF3's own forums and TW 12's own forums, if they have them. But back to guesses;

BF3 - You mentioned Campaign Mode offline. Off the top of my head I wonder if you need to be online for cloud storage to work and if that means using a different game mode, then so be it. Does the game's Setup pages have any options for saving logs and data?

TW 12 - Won't let you play online. What is the error message for that?

Game data is going to be held in the Windows Users' personal files (the Users folders in Win 7 and Documents and Settings in XP). I know that in XP users were able to 'move' their Documents and Settings to other locations, a description of that HERE. I am unsure about Users folders in Win 7, but it is discussed HERE.

On the face of it that would seem to solve location problems for those two games, but then it is most likely going to mess up your Online Car Racing Game settings.

Your main question though, transporting the 80GB C drive to a larger drive is certainly possible. There are two methods;

1] Use a software utility like Acronis TrueImage. This can take an "Image" of your C drive which you can then restore or install that image onto a larger drive using a bootable CD created by Acronis.

2] Clone the 80Gb drive using a utility like Clonezilla and clone it to a larger drive. The larger drive should immediately be usable.

Thee is more about that in the discussion below;

I hope that helps, although it's not much.

Have a look at the Games' own forums for any other ideas.

Collapse -
Good description
by Dizzyt / March 19, 2012 6:44 AM PDT

Thanks Mark

I've managed to create enough space on C:drive for TW12 (3.0G) but its still having the same issues trying to create a log file. I've just cleaned registry etc now ant reloading it having checked everything that could have created problems in Origin Settings, so we'll go from there.
I'll have a look at trying to create the C: Drive with Acronis as I do have that program but clonezilla appears to be maybe a better option?????

That will then eliminate the smaller C:Drive - thought its seems a scary option.

I have put the problem up in the game forums - nothing yet but some useless related comments nothing constructive so, we'll see how I go. I have a look at that Cnet forum on cloning

Thanks m8

Collapse -
Re good description
by Dizzyt / March 19, 2012 6:55 AM PDT

Just finished d/l TW12 , went to run - it checks for updates says there is one I click install updates - "there was an error creating the log file" message.

and will only let me play offline

Collapse -
I'm not seeing any
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 19, 2012 10:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Re good description

similar errors in Google.

Are you installing into the default directory, (where the setup defaults to without changing it)?

Another thought: What about your firewall? I wonder if that is preventing you from running this online, and if so, whether this is also preventing a 'call-back' of some sort to an online web site to create the log?

Collapse -
I'm not seeing any
by Dizzyt / March 20, 2012 6:37 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm not seeing any

hi again - I'm going to check that m8 got word back from EA to do the same.

I found a couple of files that had logs in them and one had an error file in pointing to a file missing and its location (log file) so I created the file but that location did not exist. Then it dawned on me there was that particular path in the main program it had been created in the wrong area so, I moved it and then put the created log file in there BINGO alls running well.

Maybe the firewall played up with is who knows - but will check the fire wall anyway even though it appears to be running OK. Happy

Collapse -
Wow, brill.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 20, 2012 10:25 PM PDT
In reply to: I'm not seeing any

That's great Dizzyt. I'm really glad you got it working.

Thanks for letting us know, and good luck with the other games.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.