Samsung forum

Problems with image on Samsung UN55ES6500

by neowire / November 5, 2012 10:22 AM PST

I've contacted Live Chat on Samsung's support site two times about a problem I am experiencing with my Samsung UN55ES6500 and am so far quite disatisifed with the responses I am getting from their technical support.

Here's the issue, and I've described to them in great detail what the issue was already:

Whenever I connect a device to the TV via HDMI (1, 2 or 3), regardless of if it's connected directly or via my receiver, if the device is set to output to 1080P, which the TV will read 60P in the top-left corner, I get this strange image jumping. I'll get little black and kind of green streaks that go across the screen. The devices that I am connecting to the TV are a PS3 and PC, both support full 1080P and both have worked flawlessly since getting the TV in July 2012. It seems a week or so after applying the October 2012 update, I am now having this issue. I've tried new and different HDMI cables, I've reset the picture settings and the entire TV to default settings, but with my devices set to 1080P I still get the screen defects. Now, if I manually set these devices to output to 1080i instead, there is no image artifacts on the screen.

The only thing I've gotten out of Live Chat have been to reset picture settings. The second person I spoke with recommended I could schedule a service request. I informed them that I didn't really want to have someone come out to fix the issue because I don't personally believe it's a physical defect. Not if I can make it disappear by modifying settings; especially seeing that it seems that it was a software update that threw it out of whack. I asked them if there was a possibility of having someone remote into the TV, if they could possibly see the things that I'm seeing, and they stated again that I would have to set a service request (whereas the first person I spoke with said that she could provide that service if it was necessary).

Follow up note. I've already updated to the latest firmware, made available November 1st, and that was a bust; it hasn't remedied the issue. I know the devices are fine, they work fine with the same settings on other TVs I have in the house; just not this one.

Again, since I have a workaround in place by setting my devices to 1080i instead of 1080p, I'd prefer not to go through the hassle of scheduling on-site service. Instead, I'd rather have someone actually 'Listen' to what I'm saying, and even attempt to escalate the potential problem up the chain to the engineers that develop the firmware updates. Not sure if these forums are still monitored by the HDTech guy, but if you are still there, any input you might have on this situation? It would be greatly appreciated.

Any others out there with the UN55ES6500 experiencing any strange artifacting since updating to the newer firmwares?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems with image on Samsung UN55ES6500
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems with image on Samsung UN55ES6500
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
This post is now closed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 13, 2013 2:21 AM PST

As you can't reply to folk's due to the depth, this thread is now closed.

Please start a new discussion about your issues.

All Answers

Collapse -
Please read this recent discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2012 10:53 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: Problems with image on Samsung UN55ES6500
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 5, 2012 10:33 PM PST

Hi neowire, I've listened, and I'll forward the information along. - HD Tech

Collapse -
A thought....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 6, 2012 2:14 AM PST

When we get strange issues like these a visual always helps, any chance you could take a video and upload it to YouTube and then provide a link here?

HD Tech

Collapse -
by neowire / November 6, 2012 3:17 AM PST
In reply to: A thought....

Thank you for your responses. I'm in process of uploading a video, waiting for it to be processed.

Collapse -
Youtube link
by neowire / November 6, 2012 4:04 AM PST
In reply to: A thought....

Due to conversion, the video does not really do the problem justice...

But if you look close enough you can see what I'm talking about. When it really gets going, it's annoying as all heck.

The video I took was mostly to show that as soon as the input switched from 1080P to 1080I, the problem went away.

I can take another video of the issue with an actual image on the screen if that might make it easier to see.
Collapse -
Re: YouTube link
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 6, 2012 4:13 AM PST
In reply to: Youtube link

Thanks for that! It was a little hard to see at first, but after a little bit, I saw them. So I sent that video along as well!

HD Tech

Collapse -
Re: YouTube Link
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 6, 2012 4:14 AM PST
In reply to: Youtube link

Oh, and if you want to make another video, that's fine by me. More data never hurt anything. -- HD Tech

Collapse -
Same issue
by Garandhero / November 7, 2012 6:32 AM PST
In reply to: Re: YouTube Link

PLEASE.....HD-Tech, Help us. I AM HAVING THE EXACT same issue.

I just bought my TV 2 days ago and immediately did the software update. Now I have this problem with "tearing" graphical artificating at resolution 1080p. It's ruining the TV experience for me.

If you can provide instructions on how to roll-back to the last firmware even that would be great.

Collapse -
Re: Same issue
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 7, 2012 6:47 AM PST
In reply to: Same issue

Hi Garandhero,

As a temporary workaround, I'd suggest switching to 1080i. As far as a previous version of firmware is concerned, I'm sorry but that won't be possible. The TV's OS is designed to not accept previous versions.

Also, for those who feel inclined to help me gather more data, contact me:

As most people use Facebook, I'll suggest you go there and use the support form. Ask for me by name and provide your model code, serial number, and firmware version.

HD Tech

Collapse -
by Garandhero / November 7, 2012 7:11 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Same issue

I posted on Facebook.

Give us some hope HD-Tech...think they can fix this quickly?

I really don't want to have to return the TV just because of faulty firmware...

Collapse -
by neowire / November 7, 2012 8:01 AM PST

Per your advice I have as well submitted a ticket via your Facebook page. Thank you for your time in looking into this matter.

I'm sorry to hear you're having this issue too. But like HD_Tech said, it seems if you downscale your devices to only output 1080i, at least in my case, you can still view the TV in all its glory!

Collapse -
by Garandhero / November 7, 2012 9:39 AM PST
In reply to: Facebook

Yes the 1080i works for now, but I paid for a TV that should operate in 1080p so I def. want it to get fixed....

Right I mean, they gotta fix it?? Question is when. How often do they release firmware updates?

Another question is why in gods name do they not have a system for firmware roll backs..

Collapse -
by neowire / November 7, 2012 5:54 PM PST
In reply to: True

Yeah, I know what you mean. I bought this back in July and it's been great in full 1080P since then, so obviously I want to get it fixed too; but I'm not really wanting a tech to come out to work with it because I really don't think it's something with the hardware, all things point to software with me. Now even moreso since you are having issues. Since I've had the TV, it seems like they roll out a new firmware every month. I think in October it was around the middle of the month. November it was the 1st.

No idea why there is no system in place for rolling back the firmware; I presented that question to the live chat personnel, and they too said it was impossible.

Collapse -
by Garandhero / November 7, 2012 10:02 PM PST
In reply to: understood

Right... so I mean what would you do in my situation? Bring it back and just get it replaced with one that has the old firmware or wait and HOPE they know about the issue and fix it next month? I'm sort of leaning towards I have the ability to just return it since it's only 3 days old, might as well just bring it back to BestBuy say - the 1080p doesn't work with the new firmware so I want to exchange it for a new unit etc. etc. and try again.

Also, I know how to change my xbox, ps3 ect. to 1080i, but how do I change HDTV that outputs to 1080p (like football games) I don't see an option to change it on the TV and the cable company determines at what resolution they output HDTV not us right?

Collapse -
by neowire / November 8, 2012 2:27 AM PST
In reply to: Understood

Since you're within return policy, I would probably take it back. If they are saying they cannot duplicate the issue yet, then that might not be a good sign for a quick turnaround. It all depends. When you get the new one, I would probably not perform any firmware updates until checking back on this forum. If I get my situation resolved, I will post an update.

As far as your cable, I don't know. My tv is just OTA, so I get it straight from the antenna, no set top box. For that, you'd have to check documentation for your set top box (if there's any configuration possible).

Good luck

Collapse -
Good news!
by Garandhero / November 8, 2012 10:23 PM PST
In reply to: return

Just an update

I brought back the TV that had the updated firmware and replaced it with a new one from Best Buy.

This time I DID NOT update the firmware, and guess what? Working perfectly! Full 1080p display on all devices with no shuddering/static/flicker etc. etc.

At least you all know it is definitely the firmware now.

Please let me know when a STABLE firmware is released. Until then I will not be updating.

Collapse -
Hey Samsung_HD_Tech
by Garandhero / November 7, 2012 10:00 AM PST
Collapse -
Same issue
by ddgiant / November 10, 2012 1:41 AM PST

I am having the exact same issue, I have posted the question to the facebook forms and just wanted to put it here as well.

Model that I am dealing with is a UN55ES7150FXZA. It was working great till about a week or 2 ago when I noticed a jittery and a little static when watching my BD player, I realized that it was not the player when I used my PS3 today and it has the exact same issue.

Collapse -
by neowire / November 10, 2012 2:24 AM PST
In reply to: Same issue

Can you try to set your PS3 to output in only 1080i and see if the issue disappears as it does for my model?

Collapse -
by ddgiant / November 10, 2012 1:17 PM PST
In reply to: Recommendation

i changed both my ps3 and bd player back to 1080p and it gets jumpy again, change back to 1080i and the screen is stable again.

I did try a firmware update but my tv is at 001023 and online is at 1022 and thus would not install.

if you need anything else just ask.

Collapse -
New Firmware November 9th
by neowire / November 10, 2012 3:07 AM PST

Took a chance and looked online, there's a new firmware available from November 9th. However...this firmware says version 1022.2

The firmware that was just posted November 1st said 1023.2. Just to see if I could update to the new firmware, I tried both the online method and via USB, but to no avail. It says it cannot find any new updates.

Are the correct firmwares being loaded on the support site?

Collapse -
Re: New Firmware November 9th
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 12, 2012 3:21 AM PST

Hi neowire,

It's not a newer firmware; it's the older one. Sorry for the confusion. We'll have the newer firmware available soon.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Same issue
by tlampen / November 29, 2012 9:39 AM PST

I also have the exact same issue UN60ES7150 from Costco. Both with my Apple TV and PS3. Just bought the newest version of the high speed HDMI cable as well. Switching to 1080i for the moment.

Model Code: UN60es7150
Software Version: T-mst10pausc-1024.0,BT - G

Collapse -
same tv, same issue. (360,blue ray home screens/aps)
by Honsfan / November 11, 2012 7:19 AM PST

Thought I fixed by resetting tv. (it updated the firmware to the .3) Nope. It actually will work for a day, then goes back out. Im still in my 30 days with Sears, but its a hassle to haul this back up there, especially if it is a larger issue. I own 3 Samsung Tvs, this will be my last.

Collapse -
Take it back
by Garandhero / November 11, 2012 9:17 AM PST

Just take it back. I had the same problem, it's not something larger it's def. the Firmware. When I took mine back and got a new one it worked fine. It's just the 1023 firmware (doesn't matter what comes after the 3)

So yah, take it back and don't update and you'll be fine. A hassle yes, but that's why you have 30 days and might as well get one that's perfect.

Collapse -
found this-worked
by Honsfan / November 15, 2012 11:53 AM PST

A solution or workaround has been discovered by another member (MTCruiserr). See ES7100 thread for more information.

4) Disable SyncPlus which you will find in SmartHub (probably last page of app's). Also be sure to locate the terms and condition setting for this application and disable it. Firmware 122.2 installed SyncPlus as part of the update - 1023.2 did nothing to fix the issue.

You will no longer have these issues with 1080P @ 60
this is why when I reset the tv the 1080p would work temporarily (until the syncplus synced again.)

Collapse -
by tg88 / November 15, 2012 3:40 PM PST
In reply to: found this-worked

Thanks for the tip it fixed the same issue on my PN51E550D1F plasma.
Worked great.

Collapse -
Thank you
by neowire / November 15, 2012 4:52 PM PST
In reply to: found this-worked

Thank you so much for your reply. I knew it had to be related to a firmware/software problem.

I will try this over the next weekend to ensure the jittering is completely gone.

Collapse -
Re: Problems with image on Samsung UN55ES6500
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 19, 2012 5:22 AM PST

Hi All,

We have the new version of firmware 1024; it came out Friday night of last week, and I have assurances that it'll fix the issue. Sorry for the inconvenience this has been.

HD Tech

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.