Car Tech

General discussion

Problems with Fuel pump Chevrolet Blazer 1997

by jdsem / October 11, 2005 10:19 PM PDT

My 1997 Chevrolet Blazer, Model S 10506, Vortec 4.3 Liter has given me problem with the fuel pump. I have replaced it a couple of times already. It might be a problem with the voltage reaching the pump. What is the correct voltage? How do I correct that? Would a wire directly from the batery to the pump help?
Thanks for any help coming this way.
Jossy

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems with Fuel pump Chevrolet Blazer 1997
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems with Fuel pump Chevrolet Blazer 1997
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just sharing...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 12, 2005 1:18 AM PDT

A friend had that issue. There were not happy when a good mechanic replaced a gas filter and it was cured.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by jdsem / October 18, 2005 12:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Just sharing...

Hi Bob,
Thanks for sharing. I have ruled that posiblity because some time ago I replaced the fuel filter for a new one.
Jossy

Collapse -
FUEL PUMP PROBLEMS WITH CHEVY BLAZER
by gascomeng / December 17, 2005 1:34 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

I've also have terrible experiences with failing fuel pumps for my 1996 Chevy Blazer. In the last 8 months I've had to return about 4 units back to the part suppliers.

Is it possible that these pumps are defective ab initio from the manufacturers? May be due to long storage periods?

It just cant be a problem with the electrical system or the filter.

Collapse -
oil cooler problems
by mattrunner / June 7, 2010 7:26 PM PDT

my old chevy truck had recently given me huge problems with the oil cooler lines. had to get it repaired plus some other parts and overall got around $600 out of me.

Collapse -
Fuel pump problems and failure
by aws_skater74 / June 9, 2010 2:43 PM PDT

Fully ASE certified mechanic

You are probably purchasing an Airtex masters pump I doubt you have found a Delphi but Anyways with the new fuel pump they will supply you with a new wiring harness that will attach to the pump you must replace this, it is the #1 reason for Gm fuel pump failure. Second of all the main reasons why fuel pumps fail is due to incorrect installation , When replacing a fuel pump you MUST replace the fuel pump strainer , clean the tank and drain the old gas DO NOT PUT THE OLD GAS BACK INTO THE TANK , an replace the wiring harness supplied with the new fuel pump. And also replace the fuel filter there are no other reasons why a fuel pump would just fail , if you have any more questions on the proper installation procedures contact the vendor of the fuel pump you purchased they will pretty much tell you the exact same thing I have stated here.

Collapse -
delphi pumps are the best
by dutchenders / June 10, 2010 5:28 AM PDT

Hes right in that the Delphi pump is definately better for GM applications but any aftermarket pump should do for a while if you have it installed right. You might not want to do it yourself to be honest, it seems like there are some issues your having (just saying there are experience issues where a professional tech isn't going to have these problems usually). If your going to go it alone you need to be really careful when approaching the wiring harness. Electrical work is one of the most dangerous areas in repairs other than crawling under a lifted vehicle, you can get seriously hurt. Its best to have the battery cable disconnected and ground the current properly. I took a training course for the electrical work which is part of the repairsurge software, it has the US Navy's electrical training modules of which there is 24 of them. I would suggest it just for the safety aspect because you really dont want to get in over your head with this stuff. The repairsurge site is http://www.repairsurge.com. There are many other courses you could get so take your pick but definately do your research before you start messing with the wiring harness.

Collapse -
You have no Idea What your talking about
by aws_skater74 / June 10, 2010 4:40 PM PDT

Ok yeah I'll give you that Electrical work can be tricky and quite dangerous at times. And yes do disconnect your negative battery cable while doing this but the fuel pump system does not get power until the key is entered into the ignition. And no you are not going to be getting into a rats nest of wires there are four wires and the new harness wires are the exact same color so if you can match colors then you can pretty much figure it out. Yeah I also would not suggest doing this if you have no automobile knowledge then you should just step away from the vehicle before you cause more damage or hurt yourself.

Collapse -
97 chevy blazer
by MatkinsJ / February 8, 2011 2:56 AM PST

I was told to buy a delphi fuel pump if I was going to replace it myself but I am not sure exactly what to buy...is "Delphi Automotive - Fuel Pump Module Assembly
Part # FG0071" the correct part to buy? Do I need to purchase anything else? We were told it was for sure the fuel pump on my 97 Chevy Blazer...could you help me? Hate to sound like a cliche but Im just a girl and although I know some, Im not for sure on this one. Thank you for your help!

Collapse -
Fuel pump 1997 GMC Jimmy
by oldtrucker63 / December 4, 2011 9:31 AM PST
In reply to: 97 chevy blazer

Most say the Delphi fuel pump is the best because it comes with a one years warranty, This pump will cost you about $275 to $375 I'm replacing mine in my 1997 jimmy right now, I took the fuel pump out today, I will be ordering a fuel pump from E-Bay with a one year warranty for $62 and that is with free shipping, The Delphi pump might be a better pump but it only has a one year warranty for $300 or more, I will take my chances with the $62 E-Bay pump with the same warranty. And if you hold the two pumps up side by side, The only way to tell the Delphi pump from the other pump is to look at the name Delphi on a sticker that is stuck on the pump, Yes I will use the cheap one for sure, And I know of people that has used these pumps and there still going strong after 3 years and one other even longer.

Collapse -
1997 Jimmy fuel pump fuse and relay
by oldtrucker63 / December 4, 2011 9:40 AM PST

I will add this here also, Only because I have read in other places the wrong info, The fuel pump fuse on a 1997 jimmy is in the fuse box located on the drivers side of the dash board end, The fuel pump fuse is marked ECM Batt and the fuel pump relay is in the glove box, There is three relays in there it is the first one closer to the drivers side, So sitting in the passenger seat it will be the first relay on your left.....Also the cheap fuel pumps comes with a new wiring harness........The main cause of the Delphi pumps failing to start with......Delphi pump $275 to $375 the cheap pumps on E-Bay $54.90 to $110.....Buy the one you think will do the job, I will take my chances with the cheap one. Wink

Collapse -
1997 GMC Jimmy fuel filter
by oldtrucker63 / December 4, 2011 9:45 AM PST

The fuel filter is on the inside frame rail on the driver side right between the front and rear door, This filter cost about $10 to $12 and should be changed every 30000 miles, A old filter adds strain on the fuel pump and will cause the pump to over heat and fail.

Collapse -
no power to fuel pump
by boat88 / September 7, 2012 12:50 AM PDT

I have a 97 blazer n just installed the 2nd pump but i have no poewr to the pump

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.