Windows Vista

General discussion

Problems with Canon Zoom Browser EX 5.8

by themcculleys / October 27, 2008 2:21 PM PDT

I have Hp A6530 PC that came with Vista 64 bit. I can't get my camera software to work. I installed with the CD and even changed the compatability mode to XP which is what my old computer had, and I get an error every time I try to use the software for my Canon Digital Camera.

Error says: ZB module has stopped working..............etc.

I have done a complete uninstall and every time I get the same windown when I try to use it. Any suggestions?
I even tried to install a new driver but that didn't work.
Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems with Canon Zoom Browser EX 5.8
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems with Canon Zoom Browser EX 5.8
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Seems it's under discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 27, 2008 11:38 PM PDT
Collapse -
zb module vista problem with canon powershot
by lgsshedden / December 25, 2008 11:43 AM PST

solution is very simple but elusive: to save anyone else the agony of searching, installing, re-installing and messing with registry and permission, here is the best answer I could find:

1. stop ZB

2. Delete all the ZbThumbnail.info files under "my pictures" and "my documents"

3. Move out all photos and directories from under "my pictures". Move them to a temp directory. ex d:\temp -- the problem is zb being incompatible with some files in the default directory

4. Start ZB and download some pictures from memory card

5. Then start moving files from temp dir to "my pictures", testing ZB occasionally.

6. photos or files that are incompatible can be stored in another directory: not the my pictures default directory used by the zb module.

Collapse -
reply to problem solver
by a levine / December 5, 2009 1:07 AM PST

I apreciate the technical advise to work around this problem. Once that the link with the new download file in My Pictures is established, and then I return my various other files back to this directory, might I expect as return of the zb error problem. Thanks in advacne for your comments.

Aaron

Collapse -
ZoomBrowser EX bug - Root cause and a simple solution
by franz741 / February 18, 2012 10:04 PM PST

Thanks <span style="'line-height:" 115%; font-family: "Calibri","sans-serif"; font-size: 11pt; mso-ascii-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-hansi-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family: "Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font: minor-bidi; mso-ansi-language: DE-CH; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA;'>lgsshedden for the hint about removing the thumbnails!
<span style="'line-height:" 115%; font-family: "Calibri","sans-serif"; font-size: 11pt; mso-ascii-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-hansi-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family: "Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font: minor-bidi; mso-ansi-language: DE-CH; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA;'>However, I found out that it's not a picture incompatibility. The root cause of the problem is much simpler:
<span style="'line-height:" 115%; font-family: "Calibri","sans-serif"; font-size: 11pt; mso-ascii-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-hansi-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family: "Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font: minor-bidi; mso-ansi-language: DE-CH; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA;'>ZoomBrowser EX has a file name restriction of 46 characters including the extension. Means you simply have to look for file names with more than 46 chars and to shorten them. Don't forget to remove the thumbnails again after shortening the name(s).
<span style="'line-height:" 115%; font-family: "Calibri","sans-serif"; font-size: 11pt; mso-ascii-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-hansi-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family: "Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font: minor-bidi; mso-ansi-language: DE-CH; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA;'>franz741

Collapse -
ZoomBrowser EX bug - Root cause and a simple solution
by franz741 / February 18, 2012 10:13 PM PST

And again. This time hopefully without scriptings:

Thanks lgsshedden for the hint about removing the thumbnails.

However, I found out that it's not a picture incompatibility. The root cause of the problem is much simpler:
ZoomBrowser EX has a file name restriction of 46 characters including the extension. Means you simply have to look for file names with more than 46 chars and to shorten such names. Don't forget to remove the thumbnails again after shortening the name(s)

franz741

Collapse -
After all that effort
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 19, 2012 6:26 AM PST

but the thread is dated 2008. I doubt the poster you are replying to is still tracking this thread after 4 years.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.