Spyware, Viruses, & Security

General discussion

Problems with Avast?

by raduzhok / April 11, 2011 6:04 AM PDT

About 30 minutes ago, I come online, with no problems. I closed the browser after I finished at one site, and re-opened it to enter another site I frequent. Avast popped up with a 'threat detected and blocked.' Two different threats actually popped up, both with the site's url in the site detection description.

I closed down my system and rebooted, and entered my other account, to check to see if the problem was possibly IE specific. In the second acct, I opened my firefox browser, and again, I got the avast notification of a blocked threat. I closed down my computer, again, and rebooted, and clicked on avast to run a scan. It needed to update the program, and when I restarted my computer, opened my browser (in the first acct I used), and tried to go to my email. Again, Avast sent up a notification. I considered there might be a problem on my system, so started a scan.

I switched over to this computer, a housemate's system, who also uses Avast, and opened a browser, and clicked on the email (Yahoo) link, and Avast popped up with a threat here.

My question: Is Avast having a problem? I disabled it so I could post this message, because every site (dictionary.com, yahoo.com, and various other major sites) are showing the avast notification of a threat blocked.

One last piece of info. The computers are networked with a lynksys router.

Any help will be appreciated.

Rad

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems with Avast?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems with Avast?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
They have a problem with the latest
by roddy32 / April 11, 2011 6:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Problems with Avast?
Collapse -
4/11/2011 AVAST Problems Multi-Websites
by mdvaden / April 11, 2011 6:29 AM PDT

I am having a huge multitude of problems with avast today. April 11th, too. Avast is tossing up a Trojan Horse flag at Juno email, various forums I use. I can't even get into Facebook - it shuts down the connection.

This is a mess and I can't fix it yet.

Avast website is not loading either.

Collapse -
(NT) Disable the webshiel until they fix it.
by roddy32 / April 11, 2011 6:35 AM PDT
Collapse -
Avast is a mess for me too
by monalisa1495 / April 11, 2011 7:18 AM PDT

I'm having that problem... So I ran a scan and it says I have 300+ threats. Most of them are the Help files in my HP printers software, all the files to the computer's burning system, all of quickbook and some misc things. I'm starting to think AVAST needs to be uninstalled for now and install AVG. This latest update must have messed things up severely. Anyone else also have it finding tons of threats? I mean 300+ when two days ago there were none seems excessive.

Collapse -
From the Avast Blog.....
by Carol~ Forum moderator / April 11, 2011 7:38 AM PDT

"False positive issue with virus defs 110411-1"

Virus definition update 110411-1 contained an error that resulted in a good number of innocent sites being flagged as infected. Generally, all sites with a script in a specific format were affected.

Our virus lab staff discovered the problem quickly after releasing the bogus update and immediately started working on a fix. The fix was released about 45 minutes after the problematic update and has version number 110411-2. Anyone who still has this problem is kindly asked to manually update the definitions to the latest version, e.g. by right-clicking the avast taskbar icon (the orange (a) ball), and selecting Update -> Engine and Virus Definitions.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. As this typically only affected remote sites (and not local files), simply updating to the latest definitions should completely solve the issue (no local files have been quarantined).

https://blog.avast.com/2011/04/11/false-positive-issue-with-virus-defs-110411-1/

Collapse -
Note In the Above Post: 11.4.2011 - 110411-2 Released
by Carol~ Forum moderator / April 11, 2011 7:59 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.