Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Problems with AOL

by libelula / October 16, 2006 11:04 AM PDT

Hi,
My parents have had AOL for several years now, but recently they have had numerous problems with the program (I think that they had been using 8.0, then 9.0, then 9.0 Security Ed.).

AOL would be unable to sign them on, and after spending several hours with AOL Cust. Service, they would uninstall it, and then reinstall it.

Most recently, they were unable to uninstall it, and AOL told them that their Windows XP was faulty.
I brought the computer to my place and after unistalling all AOL applications I could, I went through and manually deleted AOL files and registry values/keys. It was time-consuming and annoying -- AOL had spread itself through to many nooks and crannies of the computer.

Are their other ISP's for dial-up (they live in a remote location) that offer good service without taking over the computer? And what can my folks do to speed up their existing dial-up service?

Thanks,
Lib

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems with AOL
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems with AOL
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Somewhat and not much...
by John.Wilkinson / October 16, 2006 3:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Problems with AOL

AOL has been given the nickname AOHell because of its invasiveness and the extreme lengths you must go to to completely remove it from your computer. They have also faced several lawsuits concerning them not letting customers go, billing them after they terminate their service, etc. In short, the former internet giant has fallen and is turning to advertising-based free software/subscriptions to stay afloat.

In regards to finding another ISP, that really depends on where they live...even providers such as Netzero/Juno (which I would not recommend) don't have phone numbers available in all regions. I've found that local providers out of regional major cities are usually the best, primarily because their userbase is smaller. Your best option may just to thumb through your local phone book.

When it comes to increasing their internet speed, there is nothing they can do. The fastest you can go with dial-up is 56K and current government regulations limit that to 53K. After that you have to take into consideration the age of the phone lines, quality of the connection, distance to the server, number of people online, etc. With that you're lucky to get to the low- to mid-40s.

My suggestion would be to contact their phone company and see if DSL is available in their area. If so they can pay around the same per month but have a connection at least four times faster than dial-up. It may not be available in the remote area but it's worth a look.

John

Collapse -
Which AOL is best?
by libelula / October 17, 2006 10:23 AM PDT

OK,
So I managed to get every little scrap of that AOL out of my parents' computer (at least that I could find...). They're looking into other dial-up ISP's in their area, but they do live in remote, rural country. If they end up having to stick with AOL due to lack of anything else, which version of AOL has tended to be the least problematic, and possibly the least invasive?
Thanks,
Lib

Collapse -
AOL should be the last choice. . .
by Coryphaeus / October 17, 2006 12:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Which AOL is best?

Every local phone company offers dial-up service. Go with who provides dial tone. Since ALL ISP providers use the local phone company for access facilities, use the local phone company. One call in case of problems. ALL ISPs lease the facilities from the local phone company. Why give money to someone else?

Collapse -
Lesser of the evils?
by John.Wilkinson / October 17, 2006 1:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Which AOL is best?

AOL settled a billion-dollar lawsuit out of court over AOL 5.0 and has been the recipient of complaints ever since, so I don't really think there is a 'lesser evil' in this case. If you have to use AOL I'd just install the latest version so you have access to the latest features and interface, but then again I wouldn't install AOL on my computer. 9.0 is about as good as any.

John

Collapse -
Dial-up for country folks!
by indigoaven / October 17, 2006 3:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Problems with AOL

I too live in the rural part of my state and do not have access to DSL. I have Netzero 3G which is fine for now. You can search Google or Yahoo for dial-up ISP service. There are links you can find that when you put in your phone number it will tell you what ISP services are available in your area.
Hope this helps!

techreader

Collapse -
Personally..
by Kornilych / October 24, 2006 5:45 AM PDT

I'd like the 7.0 because of its stability, tried all other versions, but 7.0 is the best so far, even if you get some problem its the best to deal with. The only thing I miss out is Free AOL antivirus which only 9.0 users are eligible for, and ability to save mail in AOL server thats all, the rest no problem at all..

Collapse -
Try Netscape $9.95 Month
by janenolan / October 29, 2006 6:01 AM PST
In reply to: Personally..

I used to have AOL but found it too expensive. I switched to Netscape (which AOL owns) and found it reliable, always get on around 52 kbps, and is cheap. I never get a busy signal also.

Collapse -
Does it include..
by Kornilych / November 1, 2006 11:31 PM PST

customer care service with that package u signed up for? Heard that you need to pay $10 dollars to get Live Customer Support

Collapse -
getting kicked off the aol internet
by philipcarol1 / November 14, 2006 7:51 AM PST

I posted a querie earlier and cannot find it lol but it pertained to suddenly being kicked off line and getting the error message that it was due to inactivity. This had been going on for about a week[which corelates to the time I switched from $17.95 to 9.95 unlimited AOL]. I contacted AOL tech support and was told that it is to better serve their community. If the line becomes busy, it will boot you off - the suggestion was to use a different number to access and I did and so far, I have not been booted. Oddly I noticed that now there are only 4 local phone numbers for me to access, compared to 7 or 8in the past. How long til other people also discover this? I opted for the last number on the list. I live in a rural area where dial up is my only option.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.