PC Applications forum

General discussion

Problems with Advanced System Optimizer "Protector" module.

by bryan762 / March 15, 2010 1:52 AM PDT

Well, to start, I've trusted the CNET download reviewers expertise and judgment for years. But every once in a while there reviews miss something that may cost the user more then just inconvenience. Still it is not in there nature NOT to be thorough.

I have been and own a life time account with iolo System Mechanic. I find the software polished, functional, and fairly effective across the board. And, with pretty good tools. Unfortunately, and for whatever reason, I could not get the pricidilo to install to VISTA Ultimate. So I had to use a different product. One that would install of course, and ,one checked out and rated by CNET. Advanced System Optimizer got my money because the CNET guys were right about it, it had every thing one could want n a utility suite. I tried it out for a bit and then paid up.

MY PROBLEM WITH ADVANCED SYSTEM OPTIMIZER "Protector":
The intire program though some what haphazardly put together works wonderfully EXCEPT for the Advanced System Protector. And THAT contains good stuff BUT it is consistently in ones face! Popping up at the most inopportune times. In fact, more then that, it's a damn pain in the ***! I've tried to "schedule" the bug out of the thing but it continues to pop up any how. I have spoken to systweak support about the issue and they say the usual " our support team is working diligently on the issue" Ahhhhhh, why don't I believe that? I mean, win7 has been released and this is as yet STILL a problem for VISTA user's.

ADVICE ANYONE? Does anyone have a potential work a round in there trick bag? Any ideas? Damn thing is driving me nuts. It didn't show itself as a problem, or didn't register in my mind as one, during the trial period, but now, I own it.

Bman

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems with Advanced System Optimizer "Protector" module.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems with Advanced System Optimizer "Protector" module.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"a memory optimizer for freeing RAM"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 15, 2010 1:58 AM PDT

I took a quick look at this title and the moment I found the free ram feature I knew this title is the usual to be avoided.

Thanks for the review in the forums and I'll keep an eye on this title as something to avoid.
Bob

Collapse -
Advanced System Optimizer
by sand0010 / April 1, 2010 6:30 PM PDT

Hey there,

Thought to reply you as I was experiencing the same trouble with this program but found the solution.

Maybe you've already got this also solved but I'll write the things needed to get the program under control ( and I don't get the support team saying to you they are working on it since in the end of the day this wasn't that hard to solve, clearly they didn't give a damn... )

Ok First go to system configuration utility ( Run ... type - Msconfig ) .
From servides unclick ASO3DiskOptimizer .
And from under Start Up unclick System Optimizer.

Usually this is enough but they've made this program tricky ( kind of strange since the program is about making things run smoother and it has lot of useful tools in it ) .

Anyhow download free program autoruns ( found f.exp. here http://www.download.fi/jarjestelma/sekalaiset_jarjestelmatyokalut/autoruns.cfm ) .

Start the program and choose Scheduled Tasks . From there unclick ASOService.job and HEY now you can only use the program when you want to, not when the program decides to come around ...

Gotta say here in the end that I also have found this program good & useful. I know people have bad experiences also with this type of stuff, only advice I got to give is that don't let any program delete any files of which you don't know what they are...

Well hope you and maybe others found this helpful : )

Collapse -
How to keep ASO from running stuff at start up
by moveup2 / February 24, 2011 2:41 AM PST

Since I got ASO in 2005 it has been nothing less than excellent. Before removing malware or whatever, it makes a dated folder and puts them in it. Then if something needs to be retrieved it's pretty direct.

Another issue I had was not stopping downloads in time, and ending up with them intrerfering with operations. But ASO has it's own start up file analyzer. You can enable, disable, or remove a program from there. I understand you can get into trouble, adding or removing registry files, so I haven't done that. There was a major upgrade about a year ago, which made it even more efficient.

Collapse -
something
by striver_liu / April 7, 2010 1:44 PM PDT

Take it easy! Everything will be ok.

Collapse -
Disable System Protector
by SystweakSupport / October 14, 2010 4:22 PM PDT

Dear Bman

All you need to do to disable System Protector from running at startup is run System Protector by clicking on Security & Privacy > System Protector. Now, go to Settings tab and uncheck the options "Auto Start" and "Auto Updater". Click on the Apply button to save the settings.

Also, do note the latest version of the product is 3.1.648.8773, if you're using an older version, please update it from the link below:

http://advancedsystemoptimizer.s3.amazonaws.com/aso3setup1.exe

Regards

Systweak Support Team
support@systweak.com

Collapse -
cannot get
by fishforlives / September 13, 2011 1:47 AM PDT

I bought a magazine subscription to get free download. No matter how I try I cannot get on and download it. there is no phone number to systweak. So I am going to cancel my subscription and change to a differant spyware.
any suggestions would be helpful. I am not great at computers but I am not new at it.
Thanks for listening.

Collapse -
That's good.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 13, 2011 7:36 AM PDT
In reply to: cannot get

Advanced System Optimizer is not one of the favored apps in these forums. In fact it is never recommended by the usuals here. So it is good you didn't get it to work.

ASO is not really an anti-spyware but a so-called "Optimizer" so I am not convinced it was right anyway.

What about the free versions of Malwarebytes Anti-malware and SUPERAntiSpyware?

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.