Computer Newbies

General discussion

problems troubleshooting Laptop toshiba sattelite using HDMI

by jj4910-23715565097435327483161396642019 / September 27, 2010 8:20 AM PDT

Hello, figured out how to hook up the HDMI cable between my samsung 640 LCD to my laptop, but not sure if my laptop being old and refurbished several times is HD compatible.. Where and what must I start to look for the specifications in my pc system? Also , the infolink I could not configure through the simple steps in the tv manual so I guess that is due to either my cable isp issues or firewall. Lastly, is FIOS better than this cablevision for watching internet media/etc. ? I already returned the cable inbox and planning to cancel cablevision for FIOS because I heard FIOS is better quality all around my northern new jersey area. tia

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: problems troubleshooting Laptop toshiba sattelite using HDMI
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: problems troubleshooting Laptop toshiba sattelite using HDMI
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
laptop
by manmur / October 2, 2010 7:09 AM PDT

What model of Toshiba Satellite laptop you are talking about? There are different model numbers within that line. So with out the model number we cannot help you out as much.

This is an example. If you have the same model that I have (L305D) you will not be able to connect a HDMI to that laptop. However, If your TV has the VGA port. You can connect them with the VGA cable.

manmur

Collapse -
Satelitte A45 S121 to Samsung 40" LCD
by jj4910-23715565097435327483161396642019 / October 2, 2010 9:32 PM PDT
In reply to: laptop

Manmur, thank you for a reply ..okay ..this is my first and only laptop that I had had refurbished ... Toshiba satellite A45 S121 It has an HDMI port in the back..so I used an HDMI cable connector to my samsung lcd flatpanel.. I can drag my window over to the set monitor but audio the only on my laptop.. I am not sure how to switch audio to the samsung if it is possible.. also another question I have,is it possible to watch an internet movie using the laptop to LCD samsung and at the same time open another window for another site simultaneously? Lastly, would it be necssary or worth buying a new laptop if I wanted a higher resolution or HD programming through the internet? tia, john

Collapse -
The OS matters too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 3, 2010 2:00 AM PDT

While I do this HDMI to HDTV without issue on my Vista and 7 laptops I find XP to almost be a non-player in such connections. In Windows 7 I only need to right click on the little speaker in the toolbar and select Playback Devices. If my HDMI devices are proper I can switch the sound output to there.

But all this is OS and driver dependent and why no one can nail down exactly what the steps are unless they have exactly your machine and OS and maybe the HDTV on hand to sort it out.
Bob

Collapse -
still can't find answer to my inquiry
by jj4910-23715565097435327483161396642019 / October 4, 2010 1:15 AM PDT
In reply to: The OS matters too.

I'm using windows expert vista os, where is the help search for my inquiry using vista? still have a problem transferring the audio from laptop to samsung hdtv monitor through the HDMI connection.

Collapse -
Your reply only scratches the surface on details.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 4, 2010 1:43 AM PDT

You may never find an answer given so few details. Maybe I was too gentle when I hinted details were needed.

While I have set this up too many times, there is NO STANDARD here so it is up to us to share all the details we can. I know you posted in the newbie area but omitting the make, model, OS and such only slows down the replies or makes a direct answer impossible. Maybe you have to call in some tech to show you how or prove your machine can't do this?

But do try the old right click on the speaker on the bottom tray and see if the HDMI sound is an option in Playback Devices.
Bob

Collapse -
no HDMI sound option in playback device?

Bob, I tried the old right click on the speaker bottom tray, it just says device is working properly.. but what is wierd id this old laptop has an HDMI port for connecting to my new lcd flatpanel samsung 640 40".. I get to minimize windows and drag it onto the tv screen but, the sound I can not get on the tv .. so i guess I need to consult somebody on the phone that can help me. thanks anyway, john

Collapse -
How about a picture?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 4, 2010 9:03 AM PDT

I've NEVER had Windows tell me the device is working properly when right clicking on the speaker in the tray. That message is usually when we are in the Device Manager but I don't see any words that's where you were.

Look at this picture:
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w146/rproffitt2000/WMP_Speaker_NOT.jpg

Not only must we set Windows to use our HDMI speakers but WMP has this setting buried!
Bob

Collapse -
windows vista
by jj4910-23715565097435327483161396642019 / October 4, 2010 1:24 PM PDT
In reply to: How about a picture?

the third window looking at it on the right.. so what you instructed me so far is at the bottom right tool clicking right on speaker icon brings up a box and clicking on playback devices, i see speaker properties and inside the box is intel(r)82801db/DNM AC 97 AUDIO CONTROLLER .. from there, if I click on the intel audio controller, a smaller box below that opens saying no jack information available ..ty for walking me so far! this is taking time but interesting

Collapse -
Ahh.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 5, 2010 12:54 AM PDT
In reply to: windows vista

We don't want to use the AC97 audio controller but an HDMI speaker. If the HDMI is not listed on the output devices then audio is not supported over HDMI on your system.

This is not uncommon in XP systems and many others. For example a new user was trying to get HDMI sound but didn't reveal they actually had a DVI connection they had added a DVI to HDMI adapter. Then meant no HDMI sound for them.
Bob

Collapse -
is it a hardware , os or both?
by jj4910-23715565097435327483161396642019 / October 6, 2010 12:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Ahh.

kinda thought it was some kind of audio issue, but are you saying all is needed is a separate audio jack? tia again ,john

Collapse -
No audio jack here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 6, 2010 12:42 PM PDT

I have an odd machine in the office with no audio card and no jacks. It's pure HDMI.

My last reply was about another member that was confused about a DVI to HDMI adapter and they lost a month trying to get audio over HDMI.
Bob

Collapse -
no audio jack here either i guess
by jj4910-23715565097435327483161396642019 / October 6, 2010 10:36 PM PDT
In reply to: No audio jack here.

Probably too old a model and doesn't have an audio card option to support the HDMI connectability it has?.. But I was stumped because I thought HDMI transmitted both audio and video? Bob, If I were to want to upgrade and not spend too much and knowing I'm not a gamer, what pc or laptop would you suggest? I would ;ile to be able to get the best HD video to my samsung HDtv screen. And also which OS is best for internet tv? tia

Collapse -
Just guessing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 7, 2010 12:11 AM PDT

While I have yet to see any issue with a stock laptop with the Vista OS that has a HDMI port there are instances where the owner has "updated drivers" and removed the sound over HDMI feature.

To go back is not always possible and repair of such updates is iffy at times.

-> That is, we've spent this much time to see if the right parts were there but it looks like there is something non-stock with drivers.

As to your new question I use a laptop many times (we have many at the office) to connect up. It's never an issue here.

Maybe an Apple TV is the right thing?
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.