Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

problems saving files with photoshop6

by DBL0SVN / June 17, 2010 9:23 PM PDT

Hi, recent problem with photoshop 6. Working well before for years. When I open a TIF file and save as jpeg, somtimes I won't be able to re-open the jpeg. I get an error message that says 'could not open "C:file path\filename.jpg" because the file is locked. Use the 'properties' command in the windows explorer to unlock the file'.

However, even when looking under the properties command for that file, I can't find anywhere to 'unlock' the file. I can't delete the file either. I've also tried to open as a TIF or to open with other programs such as paint or picasa, with no luck. I then uninstalled photoshop and re-installed it - no improvement.

System - Lenovo T61 laptop T7500@2.2 GHz, 2GB RAM, WinXP Professional SP2, Photoshop 6.0

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: problems saving files with photoshop6
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: problems saving files with photoshop6
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: locked
by Kees Bakker / June 17, 2010 9:28 PM PDT

Indeed, there's no way in Explorer to 'unlock' a file, as far as I know.

The next steps:
1. Can you open that file after a reboot?
2. Can you open that file after you close Photoshop? If no, continue with:

3a. Download and install Process Explorer from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx.
3b. Use it to find if there's a program having it open.
3c. If so, delete that program from Task Manager.
3d. See what happens.

Also try unlocker from http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Unlocker.shtml and see how that works.

Tell your experiences.

Kees

Collapse -
by DBL0SVN / June 17, 2010 10:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: locked

1. No
2. No
3. I've downloaded process tracker and got it running. On the display there was another program within photoshop called AOM.exe which I deleted. No improvement. How do I go about finding out which program is keeping my file open?

Collapse -
Just a thought.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 17, 2010 10:09 PM PDT
In reply to: locked
Collapse -
useful?
by DBL0SVN / June 17, 2010 11:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Just a thought.

That looks interesting but it says on that webpage that the other way to get round the 'locked' file issue is simply to reboot the computer. Unfortunately, that doesn't work for me, so will 'who lock me' still be useful?

Collapse -
Did you change your question?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 18, 2010 12:03 AM PDT
In reply to: useful?

If you just need to unlock it, research UNLOCKER.

And YES who lock me can help you figure it out and will help those that are trying to sort this out if you share what you find.
Bob

Collapse -
virus
by DBL0SVN / June 18, 2010 12:55 AM PDT

Ok so before downloading any other tools, I ran McAfee. It's still running but so far has found 'W32\rimecud!mem' in 3 locations so far. I presume this may explain my problems? I will let McAfee finish then try again with photoshop.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.