Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Problems running 2 operating systems on one computer.

by stalkeRific` / January 20, 2010 6:19 AM PST

Well, first of all since this is my first thread here, greetings from Malaysia and please excuse my not so good English usage which i'm pretty sure would be obviously noticeable but as long as it is still understandable then it wont be much of a problem right? haha lol ~

Anyway long story short, something which also happened to my friend before as we install 2 operating systems on our computers, windows xp for games and windows 7 for work, studies, etc etc ~

Works fine in the beginning, but however after some time, it just stops prompting for which OS we would like to enter, it just goes straight into windows xp.

Thus, now i'm doubting whether or not to do it all over again as i'm pretty satisfied with my current windows 7 but just going through some games compatibility issues ~

Also, i would know, is this a known issue or are we just the unlucky ones? haha, is there a proper solution to it anyway?

Once again, i'm sorry for my terrible English and thanks in advance for your comments kay? peace ~

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems running 2 operating systems on one computer.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems running 2 operating systems on one computer.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Dual-booting...
by John.Wilkinson / January 21, 2010 3:43 AM PST

Provided you install Windows Vista/7 after Windows XP, Windows should handle the dual-boot process automatically and without issue. Thus, I ask two questions:

1.) Which OS is being installed first?

2.) Are both OSes installed to the same hard drive or different hard drives?

I will also note that you can install/run Windows XP in a virtual machine, enabling you to run old programs in XP within Windows 7. Free options include VirtualPC and VirtualBox, though you must supply your own copy of XP. You'll want at least 2GB of RAM, and 3GB+ for gaming, but it is easier and less hassle than dual-booting.

Hope this helps,
John

P.S. Don't worry about your English; it's better than that of many people who speak it as a first language.

Collapse -
options
by TaraS_WinTeam / January 21, 2010 4:07 AM PST
Collapse -
thanks a million to the wonderful replies :D ~
by stalkeRific` / January 22, 2010 2:24 AM PST

first of all, i would just like to say thanks to your replies and i really appreciate your extremely kind reply John, haha but sorry for not really making things clear enough though ~

i'm currently running windows 7 professional and i only have one 1TB hard drive and as for which windows i installed first before i just decided to forget about windows xp and move on with windows 7, i have forgotten which windows i have installed first before but anyway..

is it really that important that windows xp must be installed first so that the mentioned issue does not occur again haha?

haha and as for a virtual machine in concern, i have tried that before, the virtualbox by sun but it couldn't even detect my flash drives or external hard disks, so how am i supposed to install stuff to it right? haha ~

maybe i'm just no good at using virtual machines, i allocated 20 gb space for it and also 1024 mb amount of ram for it and yes i totally agree with u that it is far easier than performing a dual boot haha ~

also, i would like to thank Tara for the useful links that you have provided, will be looking into it very soon, however i noticed that it isn't that the older games are not working on windows 7 but it's just that it kinda lags when playing you see which was not like that when i was playing them on windows xp ~

i don't get it, i mean i am fully aware of that my computer is pretty outdated, with only 4 gb ddr2 ram and amd athlon X2 64 5000+ but it should be sufficient enough to play those old and low requirement games such as counter-strike and all right?

well anyway, once again thanks for all your replies, i really appreciate them and would like to hear from you guys soon again if it isn't too much of a trouble >.< haha peace ~

Collapse -
Quick follow-up...
by John.Wilkinson / January 22, 2010 5:01 AM PST

-> With VirtualBox and other virtual machines, you must go into the settings/options and specifically tell it to mount a particular drive; it will not do it be default.

-> Performance issues may be caused by incorrect/outdated device drivers (particularly the graphics card) as well as compatibility issues. Running the games in Compatibility Mode or in a virtual machine (which is actually what XPMode is, just pre-configured) may resolve the issue.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
more on xp and xp mode
by TaraS_WinTeam / January 22, 2010 6:09 AM PST

I am glad you find the links useful- or are going to check them out later? It really comes down to compatibility- so any lags you are experiencing are related. Here is more information about XP mode, if you are running Ultimate, Professional or Enterprise you can use it- or if it is worth it to you - you can use an anytime upgrade. More on XP mode: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-xp-mode.

As for XP being loaded first, if you are using an upgrade you absolutely should have the previous version loaded first. The upgrade has to have a previous version to install from. When going back to resolve issues make sure you don't remove XP before Windows 7, this can render your machines inoperable: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Uninstall-Windows-7-on-a-multiboot-system.

Tara

Collapse -
a hopeful solution! haha ~
by stalkeRific` / January 22, 2010 12:46 PM PST

Once again guys, thanks for really trying to help a somewhat computer nut here but sadly the compatibility method did not work as the game still lags when i launch it and play..

However, thanks John for clarifying things out for me on virtual machines and i think i just may have found the best solution which was one of the links provided by Tara haha.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/default.aspx

I have finally decided to opt to microsoft's virtual-pc.. it says there that it supports usb and hopefully this will work so wish me luck guys haha.. so that i wouldn't have to bother u guys again xD ~

Thank you so very much John and Tara, i really appreciated your replies Grin ~

Collapse -
You can bother us anytime...
by PECONET / January 22, 2010 7:14 PM PST

If you have any more issues regarding your computers, or anything else that is troubling, please post back to this forum and we will do our best to sort it out for you.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.