Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

problems/questions on IE6

by hikergirl / March 30, 2013 5:50 AM PDT

XP Pro SP3, Firefox (up-to-date); Avast (up-to-date); Internet Explorer 6 (not up-to-date)
I have been having trouble for quite some time, at boot, in that I have been getting the blue screen of death - the code is: Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. Also, most days, the computer will not boot. (A number of years ago, I had a severe problem when a paid anti-virus program was updating, a trojan took a ride and wiped out over 7000 parts of the Operating System. Microsoft was very kind and provided a repair disk but, the person who installed all the new info took it upon himself to change the boot priority to disc. I have not been able to find anyone, here or other forums, who is able/willing to tell me how to change the priority. All I got was a tutorial on BIOS - I don't care about that; just give me the facts!)
I have run the CHKDSK program - I have not seen any results so, no new is good news??
There was another program that I had run, but cannot remember its name.
I have contacted the manufacturer for the external hard drive - they have tried to help - but, unless I have .NET Fx 4 (which I don't need because I have a combo pack - I cannot run the program it suggests.)
Question 1: does IE6 have a driver? If so, where do I find a driver update?????
Question 2: Where do I find updates for IE6??? (I cannot access Microsoft, unless and until I have IE7 or IE8, so I cannot ask any question of Microsoft, on any subject.)
Question 3: If I cannot get updates for IE6, which is better/best: IE7 or IE8? (I have seen too many mentions of horrible problems with IE8.)
I am worn out trying to find information, run programs, etc. All I know is what I have learned on my own, by doing.
Is there anyone out there who might be able to help - please do not use computer language. Just laundry-list the specific instructions.
Many thanks.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: problems/questions on IE6
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: problems/questions on IE6
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Download IE8 from here
by wpgwpg / March 30, 2013 6:20 AM PDT

Get on a computer where you can download IE8 (you could probably use Firefox on your computer) from here and install IE8. I haven't had any problems with it, maybe that's because I have the latest maintenance for it. Once you get it installed, you should download and install all the recommended Windows updates (but not the optional ones).

I guess you know that MS is going to pull the plug on XP at the end of this year, so if you plan to stay with it, you'd better get it up to speed while you can. Since new software isn't likely to support XP starting next year, I'd make plans to upgrade to Windows 7 if you can.

Good luck.

Collapse -
If your computer has been restored to factory settings
by Steven Haninger / March 30, 2013 6:52 AM PDT

it's probable that drivers are not up to date. If you PC is older, it's also possible that some hardware is defective. Your error points to a hardware or driver failure. It could also be a memory issue. Before addressing the old browser, I'd do a hardware analysis using tools such as memtest86 and also a hard drive testing utility to check the disk for media integrity. You mentioned changing of the boot priority. I can only guess but it could be that your system was set to look at the hard drive first. In order to use factory restore media, the priority would have needed to be changed to first check the CD/DVD ROM device. It's easy enough to enter the BIOS and return to having the hard drive placed first in the boot order. You'd just need to know what key or keys to use during startup to interrupt the process and enter the setup screens. From there, you could also look for default startup settings to help eliminate any custom settings from being the cause of your hardware error. In any event, fixing IE won't make the error go away. You will need a more current version of update manager to get all your MS security updates.

Collapse -
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 30, 2013 7:06 AM PDT

1. There is no general tutorial for the BIOS, because different BIOS'es have different ways of getting into the setup and different ways of defining the boot sequence. Moreover, it's not clear from your post what the current priority is, why you want to change it and what you want it to be.
2. Your contacting the manufacturer of the (what?) external hard drive comes out of the blue. There's nothing in your post before that point that mentions a hard drive, nor gives even the faintest idea of why you should contact the manufacturer.
3. What is a "combo pack" and why does that mean you don't need .Net if you seem to need it to do something (what??) with that external drive.
4. Programs don't have drivers. Only hardware has drivers. What you want to do with a driver for IE6?
5. Updates for a program come from Windows updates. In IE just go to Tools>Windows update and see what they offer.
6. See the post by wpgwpg about getting IE8. It runs very well on XP.

Collapse -
boot priority, etc.
by hikergirl / March 30, 2013 8:50 AM PDT
In reply to: answers

1) "...the person who installed all the new info took it upon himself to change the boot priority to disc" I want to reverse this and have the boot priority without disc. Are you able to help with this instruction?
2) I thought the external hard drive would have a drive. The manufacturer of the external hard drive suggested a program, which I attempted to run but, without .NET Fx 4, I cannot complete the program. So, this "hardware", as you say, is what I was thinking would have a driver. So, that is why I contacted the hard drive's manufacturer.
3) .NET Framework Client Profile. This is the combo pack. I had a slew of critical updates that needed installing but I could not get them to install. I did now know why. I had previously tried the system's defragmenter - to no avail. When running another freeware to clean up the hard drive, I realized that company also had a free defragmenter - defraggler. I ran it; it worked - the defragmentation was why the critical updates would not install.
4) "What you want to do with a driver for IE6?" I asked if IE6 has a driver and, if so, where would I find an update for it. You say only hardware has drivers - OK - question answered.
5) I will try the Tools>Windows update, but I have not been able to find - or know where to find - updates for IE6. However, all available updates have recently been installed; I checked again this morning. There are no other updates available. Also, since IE6 is no longer supported by Microsoft, I must look for the updates myself. I would not know where to start looking. I did do a site search, but I couldn't understand what I was reading. There are no dates attached to the Knowledge Base articles, so I don't know where else to look. But, don't forget - if I'm not running IE7 or IE8, Microsoft will not let me into its site for any reason. Therefore, I do not know where to turn for "on-the-street" experience with either of these two browsers.

Mr. Haninger's post is incomprehensible - to me.

One more question - If I try to install IE8, will it automatically uninstall IE6????? I will have to assume IE8 will use less resources (I have to ask, because minimal storage space is why I use an external hard drive.)

Collapse -
It's extremely rare for newer software to use less resources
by wpgwpg / March 30, 2013 9:13 AM PDT
In reply to: boot priority, etc.

It happens every once in an extremely great while, but it's almost unheard for a new version of anything to use less resource. I'm sure IE8 will use a bit more, but if you don't have it, you're totally out of luck getting into the MS site and getting the rest of what you need. If you're so tight on disk space that you can't afford another .1 GB or so, then you need to get a larger hard drive.

You say you want to change the boot sequence so that it doesn't boot from any disk, but then you wouldn't be able to boot Windows which makes no sense I'm afraid. Changing the boot sequence requires you to go into the BIOS which is why you've been told about that.

Once you install IE8 and get up to date with Windows updates, you should have whatever versions of .NET you need.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Boot sequence
by hikergirl / March 31, 2013 6:55 AM PDT

The boot sequence, prior to a friend installing the repair install disc 3-4 years ago, was w/o disc (CD). And I had not had any problems, prior to the repair install, getting Windows to boot?????

I'm not able to find IE6, so far, to determine the resources used, but the IE8 uses 16.1MB + 10.1MB for the Cumulative Security Update.

I have downloaded both pieces of software, but there is no option to *save*, so that I can have it at the ready when I uninstall IE6.

I, did, finally, get into Microsoft's Forums, so I'm getting some help there. Know why I could not get into MS? MS would not accept my password, because it was over 72 days old. Sheesh! So, I'll find out how to *save* the software for installation day.

Collapse -
Re: boot priority etc.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 30, 2013 11:05 PM PDT
In reply to: boot priority, etc.

As I said, there is no general recipe to go into the BIOS and change the boot priority. You'll have to find out yourself or post more details about make and model of the PC and what BIOS it has. But since it doesn't harm at all to have the optical drive (CD, DVD) first and the hard disk second, it's totally unimportant to change it back.

External hard drives can be used without any additional driver. Those are built into Windows already.

The URL to download Internet Explorer 8 has been given above already by wpgwpg, as

After installing that, all your issues should be solved, I think. If not, tell what still is wrong.

Collapse -
Changing boot priority
by Steven Haninger / March 30, 2013 10:16 PM PDT
In reply to: answers

As simply as I can put it, you start your PC and strike a key to interrupt the boot process and enter a "setup" screen. The key you need to strike varies with each computer. Maybe if you can tell us the brand and model of the PC, someone will know which keystroke to use but it's often the Esc, Del, F1 or F2. It might be that the key to use flashes briefly when you first start your PC and you've just never noticed. Once in the setup screens, you look for a one that refers to boot order. Your desired boot device needs to be moved to the top of the listing. Often, once you're in the correct screen, instruction on how to do this is off to the right side of the current list.

Again, PCs vary and there is no way here for anyone to offer step by step. This is really something not that hard to figure out and I'd recommend you give it a try. The best learning comes from what be bang our heads on until we succeed and not what someone else guides us to do. Good luck.

Collapse -
(NT) Meant to be under "boot priority, etc. by original poster
by Steven Haninger / March 31, 2013 3:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Changing boot priority
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.