Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Problems installing Vista

by boothyuk123 / February 3, 2007 4:58 AM PST

I previously had a version of Windows XP home on my system but yesterday I was trying to upgrade to Vista and it caused a few problems. Now when I boot my laptop (Philips Freevents X51) i just get a blank cursor flashing on a black background. I have purchased an official copy today of Windows Vista Home Premium and after following the installation procedure I am still stuck. After inserting the disk prior to boot-up, I get the question to 'Press any key to boot from CD or DVD" Nothing happens when i press a key!!! I have checked my BIOS and the first place my laptop boots from is the CD/DVD drive. Can anyone help/suggest to me what on earth is going on?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems installing Vista
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems installing Vista
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Question to you...
by stonehkm / February 3, 2007 7:10 AM PST

Did you check the upgrade advisor? More information about your computer would be helpful. Processor, memory, video etc.
You will get useful responses, but please remember, we need information about your rig! I have been using Vista since May 2006 with no problems of note except a few bugs in the earlier releases during beta.
Good luck:)

Collapse -
Freevents X51 Vista Problem
by mooncresta / February 12, 2007 3:52 AM PST

I also have the same problem installing Vista. It hangs on the 'press any key to boot from cd/dvd' screen.

I think there is a incompatibility problem with the current bios and requires a flash update. The problem is that phillips have not named the motherboard or the chipset. I have established via the tech guys website and from phoning them that it is an American Megatrends bios with an Intel Chipset.
I cant find out much more than that but i have contacted a company called ESupport for bios update.

Im waiting for a reply. I will post as soon as I have any news. I would be really grateful if anyone else has info on this one.

I HATE PHILLIPS - they are like the AREA 51 in terms of making laptops as they refuse to actually admit that they make them - its all a conspiracy and i feel like contacting Fox Mulder for help. It is their responsibility to provide updates but they dont even admit they make them - check their website if you dont believe me!

Collapse -
Vista Check
by mooncresta / February 12, 2007 3:57 AM PST

And yes I did the Vista check and it said all was fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! deep calm.....

Collapse -
by M3wThr33 / February 12, 2007 5:54 AM PST
In reply to: Vista Check

Do you have a XP CD? If so you may try inserting it and instead of installing go to tools.....then format your drive. Hopefully you already have backups. Then try a CLEAN install with VISTA. You have to install Vista 2 times...first time DO NOT enter the key...skip it. Second time do as normal.

Collapse -
Re: Problems
by stonehkm / February 12, 2007 7:22 AM PST
In reply to: Problems

This is a known work around and don't expect it to last too much longer! MSFT is aware of it and will block it if you are using an upgrade DVD without the correct Windows OS to upgrade from...and it is contrary to the MSFT agreement as in the EULA!

Collapse -
Thanks for the post
by mooncresta / February 24, 2007 4:37 AM PST

Yes, I have an original XP disk and tried the fresh intallation approach - didn't work. I have spoken to the Techguys (who are contracted by PC World to fix their PC's) at length on this one, and we tried have tried everything. They have even had my laptop for 2 days and Vista still would not load.

The laptop is more than capable of handling Vista - the general feeling is that its a bios problem or its one of the circuits on the motherboard that is blocking Vista.

Collapse -
windows vista installation problem
by raminrabet / February 28, 2007 12:51 AM PST

dear friends
i have the same problem with vista installation.
my laptop spec is as follow:
asus w3j
cpu:coredue 1.66
vga:radeon x1600
ram:1 gigabyte
hdd:60 pata(5400 rpm)
and has windows vista compatible logo on it
but when i put the vista dvd in its dvdrom driver
it never boot from the dvd but doesn't have any problem with
cd like windows xp and boots easily.
i thing the lens of dvd drive in most laptops is week to boot from dvd.if you have any way or methods to solve my problem please tell

Collapse -
Vista install
by M3wThr33 / February 28, 2007 6:42 AM PST

Sorry if this sounds silly. Vista is a DVD and XP is a testing with Vista would not install in my CD Player. I had to insert it in my DVD Player. If You have the upgrade Vista will it not install within WINDOWS XP?

Collapse -
Thanks for the advice but I have tried all those ideas
by mooncresta / February 28, 2007 7:17 AM PST
In reply to: Vista install

Thanks for the advice but I have tried all the ideas you have mentioned. I took my Vista back and PC World tried different versions of Vista to try and load it on to my Phillips Freevents Laptop. None would install - they all would not get past the 'press any key to boot from CD/DVD screen'
I have also tried installing it from an external DVD drive and that would not work either.
I think that its a bios problem.

Thanks again though for the tips, they are appreciated.

Collapse -
You are welcome
by M3wThr33 / February 28, 2007 8:27 AM PST

You are welcome. I tested 2 versions of Vista and I had never had a READING VISTA DVD a problem. You must be right about your is just a piece of hardware made on the motherboard and the setting may be correct but it could be defective. Did you say that XP installed? This is why I build my own PC. Will the store replace or credit you for another WORKING lap top?

Collapse -
Nothing happens on key-press?
by Morkeleb / February 28, 2007 8:33 PM PST

I had the same problem.
I had to enable keyboard (and mouse) emulation for dos in my bios.
By default dos (that is in this case the command line interface that asks you to type a key) cannot communicate with usb devices.
In most bioses (at least on desktops) you can enable emulation for them to work under dos.
That did the trick when booting up for me.

Collapse -
Bios Emulation
by mooncresta / March 2, 2007 4:34 AM PST

I have had a good look in my bios but it is so basic. There seems to be no option for enabling keyboard emulation for dos there. Its an ambi bios

I really wish there was - I have a brand new copy of VISTA sat my shelf laughin at me!!!!

Collapse -
did you ever figure things out?
by confuxion / July 29, 2007 11:54 AM PDT

Dear boothyuk123,

I noticed that it's been awhile since you had this problem w/ your system hanging at the "Press any key..." screen. I am having the exact same problem now. Did you ever find a resolution to this problem? Is so, could you email me and let me know what you did to fix things? I would so appreciate it.

Collapse -
This is how you get Windows Vista on a Philips Freevents X51
by J! / August 30, 2007 6:07 AM PDT

Just thought I?d post details of how to get Windows Vista on a Philips Freevents X51, as it is actually possible.

After a little research I found that Philips don?t actually make laptops what so ever and that the Philips Freevents name is used under licence by DSG Retail (the company who own PC World and Currys).

The laptop itself is a manufactured by a German company called Twinhead. They have an identical laptop within their range and thus produce and distribute updates for the hardware.

The problem stems from the BIOS not recognising the Windows Vista disk from boot up (it also won?t recognise Windows Vista if it on the alternative media of CD either, so don?t waste your money purchasing Windows Vista on CD in the hope it might work).

However not all is lost, as the machine is more than capable of running Windows Vista, all you need to do is upgrade the BIOS system. This is quite a simple thing to do as well.

There are eight simple steps:

1. Copy the following files to your hard drive; make sure they are just on the C:\ drive and NOT in any specific folder (by keeping the files on the root folder of you hard drive, it helps keep things more simple). These are all the files you will need to update your BIOS system.

2. Create a Bootable CD (or you can use any CD that will get you to a DOS command prompt from boot up).
3. Boot up your computer using the Bootable CD and wait until it gets to the DOS command prompt.
4. Type C:\ inform your computer you want it to read information from the hard drive
5. Then type ?afudos.exe f12dt105.rom /s? and it will perform part one of the BIOS upgrade
6. Then type ?afudos.exe f12dt105.rom /p? and it will complete part two of the BIOS upgrade
7. Then type ?afudos.exe f12dt105.rom /b? and it will complete part three of the BIOS upgrade
8. Then type ?afudos.exe f12dt105.rom /u? and it will complete part four of the BIOS upgrade

Job done!

You can then reboot your computer and you?re ready to go!

On rebooting your machine you will notice the once white screen that said ?Philips? at start up has been replaced with a black screen that says ?Twinhead?. This is because the BIOS has been replaced with an update from Twinhead. This is the only change you will notice in how the computer works.

To get started on installing Windows Vista, simple let the computer load your old version of Windows XP, when it?s loaded slip the new Windows Vista disk in the drive and you?re ready to go! Happy

You can only install Windows Vista from once Windows XP had loaded, as it downloads a number of files during the first part of the install process.

**BE WARNED, because of how the install process works you WILL NEED TO FULLY BACK UP ALL FILES THAT ARE IMPORTANT TO YOU, as part of the install process includes disabling the old version of Windows XP and all the programmes you had installed (you will need to reinstall all your programmes and person files once the installation has completed)***

The only thing you will have to do when Windows Vista is installed is reinstall the drivers for the Graphics Card. It will appear all fine without the drivers on the laptop screen, however if you want to use an external monitor it does require the correct drivers to make it all work.

Any questions leave a post and I?ll try and help. My X51 works perfectly with Windows Vista, I?m impressed!!!!

And now the legal bit? Happy

This is all done at your own risk, your house will be repossessed if you don?t keep up repayments on it and never try drugs they are likely to kill you? Blah blah blah! Happy

Collapse -
Vista on Freevents X51
by rogerlawther / March 18, 2008 12:33 AM PDT

Thanks for the above information.
I put vista on my Philips Freevents x51 by using the following method:

(1) Download the ROM file from on to your desktop

(2) Download the program AFUWIN from on to your desktop

(3) Run AFUWIN in windows and select the above ROM file

Now you're ready to install Vista. That's it!!!!

Roger Lawther

Collapse -
by PeterModha9 / December 19, 2012 11:00 PM PST

Hi - I have a Philips Freevents which has VISTA preloaded on it. I have forgotten my Windows Admin Password and need to reload the VISTA. I did not get any CDs with the laptop so I am assuming that it is possible to reload VISTA by pressing some F keys. Could you guide me please?

Collapse -
Keep in mind you hid your question in a 5 year post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 19, 2012 11:18 PM PST

Short answers then I'll lock this old post. If you can, start a NEW discussion with full details with a link to the PC's support page so folk can find out how to do a restore.

1. Admin Password.
a. I reset it for free with NTPASSWD. (see google)
b. Folk that do not want a free reset but need support use

2. Restore.
a. Usually in the product manual. Without a support page I can't look into this.
b. When faced with a machine where there is no restore media and we can't find out how to create such we obtain an USB HDD of about the same size of the current HDD then use CLONEZILLA or similar to backup the entire system.

Hope this helps and keep in mind this is a guide so you can research the options and answers.

This 2007 discussion is so old that it is now closed.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.