Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Problems Installing HP Printer With Dell PC

by GeminiKat / April 7, 2013 3:47 PM PDT

I wonder if someone can please help me, I have an older HP PSC 1401 All In One (printer/scanner/copier) that works for Windows XP & Windows 2000 from when I had my older HP desktop. Then I got a new Dell (Inspiron 560, Windows 7 Home Premium) a couple of years ago and never hooked up my printer as I didn't need it right away. Time went by and I tried printing one day I got an error saying it wasn't installed; I remembered that I never installed it on this Dell PC when I set it up. I soon found out that it was 'not compatible/supported' and of course this was after (it figures) I had just bought new ink for the printer, so now it sits with brand new ink cartidges (already opened so can't return) and can't connect to my Dell. I looked all over for help then after over an hour with them HP finally told me there is no way that their printer is compatible with my Dell (I just don't buy that.). I can understand if the OS requirements aren't compatible. I can't afford to just buy a brand new printer right now so any help is greatly appreciated. I also have a follow up question about ink if it's not going to work at all. Thank you!

GeminiKat has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems Installing HP Printer With Dell PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems Installing HP Printer With Dell PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by GeminiKat

Collapse -
Re: HP PSC 1401
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 7, 2013 8:36 PM PDT

It's somewhat strange.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=1103491& is the driver download page. Drivers are available for Windows XP, Windows Vista 32 bit and 64 bit and Windows 7 64 bit. Not for Windows 7 32-bit (although it's a very common version of Windows 7). You don't tell the bits-version of your Windows 7.

Try the printer install wizard on http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02691615&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=1103491&rule=7118
It might find a driver.

If not, you can see if Dell is able to supply a 64-bit version of Windows 7 for your PC. Or you can call HP again and ask if it's really correct they do support Windows 7 64 bit and don't support Windows 7 32 bit. Or you can buy another printer.
That's about it, I'm afraid.

Kees

Collapse -
OS
by GeminiKat / April 14, 2013 7:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: HP PSC 1401

Sorry thought I'd said that, it's Windows 7, 64 bit.

Collapse -
Answer
If it's not compatible
by glb613 / April 7, 2013 7:50 PM PDT

it won't work, period. Time to buy a new compatible printer.

Collapse -
Won't work
by GeminiKat / April 14, 2013 7:26 AM PDT
In reply to: If it's not compatible

Since the OS is different that's what I was afraid of. =/

Collapse -
Are you open to free workarounds?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2013 7:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Won't work
Collapse -
Your Link
by GeminiKat / April 14, 2013 8:46 AM PDT

I'm on that page and selected 64 Bit...I don't know really what to DL or what to do. I am usually pretty good with this stuff but have had a rough few weeks and just can't think straight.

Collapse -
Then seek local support.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2013 8:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Your Link

I noted the file it appeared to be but if this is not enough I have to defer to your local support folk. You've done the basic research so you only need them to finish the work.
Bob

Collapse -
HP Deskjet and Officejet Full Feature Software and Drivers
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2013 7:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Won't work

"HP Deskjet and Officejet Full Feature Software and Drivers

PrintPrint
Feedback

Download
By downloading you agree to HP's
Terms of Use

Overview
How to install
System requirements

Description
This download includes the HP Deskjet and Officejet Software Suite (enhanced imaging features and product functionality) and Driver.
Release details
Released:
2009-10-21
File name:
AIO_CDB_NonNet_Full_Win_WW_130_141.exe [1/1, 362.68M]
Version:
Compatibility:
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)"

Are you saying your Dell is not using one of these OSes?

Collapse -
OS
by GeminiKat / April 14, 2013 8:47 AM PDT

Yes mine is Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit, I see it in the list on the web page.

Collapse -
Answer
Driver bundles
by Willy / April 8, 2013 4:20 AM PDT

Others have pointed to what maybe a cause. I had a PSC 1350 and found it didn't install at first during its install under Win7. I found it need access to the WWW and allow it to get required drivers from "online sources", meaning MS support. if no drivers for your version of Win7 exist or it fails again, try the directly installing method pointing to WWW/web sources, it will do this once started and give it time as it needs several items to finish.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.