Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

problems creating audio cd

by No1_mom / March 15, 2007 8:22 PM PDT

apologies if I am sending this to the wrong place - I have been trying to create audio cd's on my computer - it will copy data okay using windows media, but when I try to create audio ones using media or realplayer it is unable to do so - it appears to copy only 1 KB for each file and yet is says the CD is full but has 0 bytes. when you open the cd it appears to take you back to the original file as though it is a short cut - but will not of coursew work in another computer.

I create cd's on other machines with no problem. the files I am copying are from original cd's which I have copied to the hard drive, plus music which I have downloaded.

Someone has said that it might have something to do with windows buffers but that means nothing to me - any advise would be appreciated.

Again apologies if sent to the wrong place and even more so if this seems like a really stupid question.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: problems creating audio cd
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: problems creating audio cd
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try this recent discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 15, 2007 9:50 PM PDT
Collapse -
mine is not actually copying
by No1_mom / March 15, 2007 11:32 PM PDT

This was interesting and also covers another problem I had - but in my case it is not copying at all - it just shows as though the CD has 0 Bytes, and when you click on the CD it just takes you back to the original location that - it doesn't appear to actually copy the files to the disc - just a short cut. Does that make any sense?

Collapse -
Sorry I can't use WMP.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 16, 2007 12:00 AM PDT

It fails for me too.

I do use CDBurnerXP with ease. I can rip the CD then create a new CD from my MP3 files without much ado.

-> The thing I run into is that some won't "try a new way." I'm unsure what to do in those cases.

Collapse -
That's because you are trying to copy commercial audio CDs.
by Kiddpeat / March 15, 2007 10:36 PM PDT

The 1kb file that shows up in the directory is not the music.

Collapse -
so what does that mean
by No1_mom / March 15, 2007 11:56 PM PDT

I am sorry if I seem really thick - but I copy CD's all the time on my own home computer, so that I can use copy CD's in the car rather than originals, plus to download to my ipod. the machine i am using just now is not mine so I don't know if the settings need changed. I gathered as the file was only 1 kb it wasn't the actual music as they are normaly between 3 - 4 MB - what I need to know is why is it not copying the full file - I have tried using both windows media and real player - it will copy data okay using windows just not music.

Collapse -
I think they do that so that you cannot copy tracks from the
by Kiddpeat / March 16, 2007 12:55 AM PDT
In reply to: so what does that mean

CD. Some CDs let you copy tracks. Others do not. Telling you how to overcome this would violate the TOS. Why don't you just copy the CD at home? Not your CD?

Collapse -
I don't think that is the reason.
by No1_mom / March 16, 2007 1:52 AM PDT

don't think it is for that reason that it isn't working, it is definitly something to do with this computer as I copied the files to a flashdrive and then to another machine, which let me make the cd okay. I just want to correct the settings on this machine which must be at fault.

Re the legal factor, as far as I was aware you are allowed to copy a CD if it is for personal use not for re-sale or to give to anyone else.

Collapse -
You can MAYBE copy if it belongs to you. At least no one
by Kiddpeat / March 16, 2007 2:07 AM PDT

will question what you are doing. If it's not yours, or yours, but not in your possession, and it's copyrighted, you can't copy it. That's the law.

If you copied the 1k files to a flash drive, there would be no music present for another machine to work with. Your explanation is missing some steps.

Collapse -
sorry not very good at explaining
by No1_mom / March 16, 2007 2:15 AM PDT

1) copied my cd to hard drive (Computer A)
2) tried to copy music on drive to a new cd
3) appeared to copy okay until you checked disc

A) then copied files from hard drive on Computer A to flash card
B) transfered to another computer (Computer B)
C) was able to make new cd using windows media

the music from the original cd - shows on both computers but only computer B will allow me to copy it to a blank CD - Computer A, just copies a shortcut to the original location on the hard drive - not the full file.

Collapse -
(NT) You used Windows Media on computer B.
by Kiddpeat / March 16, 2007 3:01 AM PDT
Collapse -
Hint: Windows Media "protect content" setting?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 16, 2007 4:21 AM PDT

Link about at ->

Short trip to the off switch -> Look in the Tools|Options menu. Click on the Copy Music tab, and under Copy Settings, uncheck the 'Protect Content' box.

It's enabled by default and people trip over this daily.

Collapse -
already done
by No1_mom / March 18, 2007 7:31 PM PDT

this was the first thing someone suggested and it was already unclicked.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.