Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Problems connecting with NetGear WGR614v6 router

by Fly67 / December 1, 2006 1:51 PM PST

I've tried the NetGear WGR614v6 router setup wizard CD quite a few times with no success. I have a Dell E1705 running Windows XP with an Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG. The setup wizard for the router recognizes my modem and broadband (DSL) connection as active when plugged in directly to the computer. I then have followed the various steps in disconnecting then reconnecting and powering up the modem and router. All the necessary lights are on. Once I get the screen ?Restarting Your Network?, the progress bar continues to a level less than 100% then automatically clicks to the next screen, which is white/blank and seems to stop. This has happened about a dozen times.

I run Norton Personal Firewall and Antivirus but disabled both before attempting the setup. Also, the DSL provider is BellSouth while I use AOL?s software to login to the Internet. I can also use Internet Explorer for the Internet.

Is there anything else I need to do to the wireless setup on the computer before I try the router setup again? Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time and trouble.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems connecting with NetGear WGR614v6 router
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems connecting with NetGear WGR614v6 router
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This might help
by PudgyOne / December 1, 2006 3:15 PM PST
Collapse -
How do I change the ip address on the Netgear router?
by Fly67 / December 2, 2006 12:28 PM PST
In reply to: This might help

Thanks Rick...sorry but these issues are new to me. I use a Westell modem as well (not sure what model)provided by BellSouth DSL. How do I go about finding the ip address of the router and how do I change same? Thanks for your time and trouble.

Andy

Collapse -
It's been a while
by PudgyOne / December 2, 2006 8:58 PM PST

so I had to find this,

Please follow the steps to change the ip address of the Netgear router.

1. Connect the modem into the internet/wan port of the router. (The port that is closest to the antenna.)
2. Connect your computer into any of the lan ports on the router.
3. Plug the power cable into the router.
4. You should see 3 lights on the router (power, internet and lan connection).
5. Now, take out the power cable from the router and from the modem also. And plug the power back to the router, just to the router.
6. You should see 2 lights on the router (power and lan connection).
7. Open Internet explorer and in the address box type http://192.168.1.1/basicsetting.htm or http://www.routerlogin.com/basicsetting.htm and hit enter.
8. This will take you to the basic settings page of the router.
9. Click on apply button on the bottom.
10. Login to the router (User Name = admin Password = password unless you have changed it).
11. Click on ?LAN IP SETUP? on the left hand side.
12. Change the lan ip address or local ip address to 192.168.7.1 and click on apply.
13. This will give you page cannot be displayed.
14. Now, connect take out the power cable form the router.
15. Plug the power cable to the modem and wait for the modem to come up properly, and when the modem is up then plug the power cable to the router.
16. Go back to the computer and try to access the Internet.

This should work. Let us know how you make out.

Rick

Collapse -
Right on the money!
by Fly67 / December 5, 2006 6:25 AM PST
In reply to: It's been a while

Rick, your step by step instructions did the trick! I was able setup the router and now my laptop is finally wireless. Thanks so very much for your help!

Andy

Collapse -
Next step is
by PudgyOne / December 5, 2006 7:27 AM PST
In reply to: Right on the money!

to check and see if anyone else in the neighborhood is using any routers. If so, see what channel they are using. You may need to change channels.

After you have everything running, then secure your network.

Go to

http://www.routerlogin.com/basicsetting.htm

sign in,

Go to Wireless settings

click on wireless settings

then check

WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key)

then add your password.(after you do this, you'll need to reconfigure your wireless connection on the computer(s) using the wireless newtork. It will ask for a password, which can be saved. Network will be secured for the most part.

click apply.

also go to

set password and change it to something only you know. It will help you prevent anyone from changing these settings.

In wireless settings, do NOT ever uncheck those two boxes. Some people do and then need someone to fix it for them.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Collapse -
explorer :page not found but router is funcioning properly
by plauro / January 9, 2007 10:37 PM PST

im new rick question,i would apreciate a response to my email,as well[plauro@hotmail.com]i recently helped someone hookup there router i have done it a hundred times,including for my self.ocassionally i run into the same problem the netgear router shows status as working the computer clearly is picking it up,but the explorer reads page cannot be found ive solved this a number of times by using setup wizard,adjusting lan etc,but this time ive tryed and still cant get the explorer on her computer to work? what options are left,could it be an ip thing?the router is regestering on the computer it is on status excellent signal???/

Collapse -
I had a blip at on 1/1/2007
by PudgyOne / January 10, 2007 4:23 AM PST

I just turned off everything.

I then turned on the DSL Modem, Netgear router, Wireless adapter then I turned on the laptop.

I can't remember but I think everything then connected on its own. If it didn't then I had to repair it.

Also these portable phones(cordless) use the same frequency as the routers do. If you and/or a neighbor are using a phone that has the frequency of 2.4 - 2.5 Gh, then try changing channels on the portable phone. Also look when you search for wireless connections and see what channel the neighbors are on. A new connection may be disconnecting you.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Collapse -
Rick is the man
by Latinlabel / November 23, 2007 10:30 AM PST

Rick, I was having the same exact problem. Netgear's website make's it so not user friendly. You did the Job I followed your simple step by step instructions and I worked. Thanks buddy!!!

Enrique

Collapse -
Thank you
by Gandydancerman / October 5, 2008 12:07 AM PDT

Rick,
I have had this netgear router for sometime. Sat on the top shelf for a while after not being able to get it to work. Had another go before throwing out (eg sell on ebay or something). Found your instructions and am now using for wireless. Thank you for posting your instructions/procedure.

While it may seem easy to you , do not under-estimate the importance of the help you give to others.

Thank you

Hugh

Collapse -
You're Welcome
by PudgyOne / October 5, 2008 2:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you

We made a Forum Sticky that is also helpful with all types of wireless devices.

Rick

Collapse -
Netgear WGR614v6 unable to connect
by aaron2788 / February 27, 2010 9:49 PM PST
In reply to: You're Welcome

Hi Rick
Hopefully you can help me?? I have a Netgear WGR614v6 Router

My problem is that most of the day I can connect to the web and then at the night time it takes so long to connect and most of the time it says Page can not be displayed...

If I plug my laptop into the Modem all is fine...Do I need to replace the router or is there something I can do.

I have had the Router approx 3 years and all of a sudden I now get these problems.

Hope you can help me

Aaron

Collapse -
You didn't tell
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2010 10:06 PM PST

How your setup differs from the Forum Sticky. That's the first thing to start looking at possible causes for this issue.
Bob

Collapse -
Hi Rick,
by sep0834 / May 21, 2009 7:55 AM PDT

I purchased a Dell Studio XPS 13 and I followed your steps through my Dell Dimension E510 desktop to create a wireless network. I'm currently using a Westell 6100 modem for Verizon DSL and a Netgear 54 Mbps WGR614 wireless router. My modem and router have the same IP address of 192.168.1.1.

I noticed a few things that didn't match up with your steps:

At Step 9, after I clicked on apply, the wireless light on my router came on, is this normal?

At Step 12, after I changed the Lan IP address and clicked apply, a window popped up and it said, "Please do ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew and enter the new IP in the browser in order to access the GUI again if LAN IP subnet will be changed." I clicked OK and went on with the steps. Normal?

At Step 13, instead of saying page can't be displayed, the middle part of the setup wizard(in between the left and right side margins) just went blank. I went on to steps 14 and 15.

Finally, after all steps were complete and everything was connected, I could not access the internet.

I was wondering if you could help me out, it would be greatly appreciated, I've been trying to set up wireless for the past 3 nights.

Thanks,
Steven.

Collapse -
Thanks
by jakob12345 / December 11, 2009 1:27 AM PST

Thanks a lot rick - created this account just to thank you for providing a solution to my netgear router login problem. FINALLY

THANKS THANKS THANKS and THAAAAAANKS - i now have wireless :-D

Collapse -
Netgear Router Issues
by sherj102 / January 1, 2007 10:52 AM PST

Hello,

I applied the instructions you suggested but the screen takes me back to the Netgear Smartwizard mode instead of basic settings. Is there a way around such? Thanks.

Compaq
Windows XP

Collapse -
A THOUSAND THANKS
by gvane09 / November 23, 2007 11:22 PM PST
In reply to: Netgear Router Issues

WOW.. THANK YOU SO MUCH. I WAS SO FRUSTRATED A FEW MINUTES AGO, AFTER UNSUCESSFULLY TRYING TO CONNNECT... FINALLY! I AM WIRELESS.
THANK YOU TAKING THE TIME TO POST THE INSTRUCTIONS STEP BY STEP.

Collapse -
netgear router not connecting wirelessly
by desertgoat9 / May 7, 2012 11:24 AM PDT

I had much of the same problems and steps I tried. I finally found the reset button on the back of the router. I held it down for about 20 seconds and released it. Suddenly my wireless connection was working! Worth a try.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.