TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Problems connecting surround sound to LCD TV...

by listerinestrips / July 30, 2006 12:49 PM PDT

Hey I have a 26" LCD TV from Polaroid and a Philips DVD home theater system. The DVD works great with the surround sound but I can't get the TV to send the signal to the system to play the TV audio over the surround sound. I use the red and the white cables to connect the audio out from the TV to the audio in on the DVD player. The surround sound connects to the DVD player so I assume the DVD player acts as the receiver. Anyway my TV connects straight to the cable source for basic cable, no cable box. For some reason I can't get the TV sound to play on the surround sound no matter how I connect it. I set the DVD player to TV mode, still nothing. I connected a gamecube straight to the DVD player and that plays the audio fine. Is my audio out on the TV messed up or can I not use the phono cables for my TV? Would it work if I use coaxial which both my TV and DVD player have? Thanks for any responses or help with this issue.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems connecting surround sound to LCD TV...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems connecting surround sound to LCD TV...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
basically, Tv's are stupid
by masterying01 / July 30, 2006 12:53 PM PDT

it doesnt know if you want to use the tv speakers or audio out.

all you need to do is going into the Audio setup on the tv and TELL it to output the sound via the RCA cables instead of through the speakers. (tell = changing a setting. not sitting there screaming at it).

Collapse -
???
by RoadRunner6 / July 30, 2006 1:10 PM PDT

I am a little confused by your post. You mention "surround sound." Are you talking about the receiver that speakers are hooked up to? Your either have a separate "receiver" (the control center) and separate DVD player or they are both combined in one unit.

Anyway on the back of the unit that your speakers wires are connected to (this is the receiver) there should be audio in jacks (left and right) marked for TV. This is where the TV audio output cable should be connected, and not to the DVD player if it is separate.

He is correct that you should make sure that you have the TV speakers turned off to enable the audio output jack on the TV.

RR6

Collapse -
this is annoying
by listerinestrips / July 30, 2006 3:48 PM PDT
In reply to: ???

I don't have a receiver. The DVD acts as the receiver, as in they are the same unit. Anyway I know I would normally have to switch to the speakers but there is no option to switch.

Collapse -
One more thing
by listerinestrips / July 30, 2006 4:15 PM PDT
In reply to: ???

Also the TV manual says that using coaxial cables only works with HDTV(cable/air) mode. It also has optical cables listed as an option with no warning but my DVD player/receiver only has the coaxial input. Would I have to buy a coaxial, coaxial to optical converter and optical cable? If anyone knows, can you please point me to some ideas of the cables I would have to buy? Thanks again.

Collapse -
OK
by RoadRunner6 / July 30, 2006 5:19 PM PDT
In reply to: One more thing

It looks from your somewhat confusing description (no offense intended here, but you need to be very clear about exactly what cables you are talking about, audio, video, single RCA cable, two RCA cables, etc...the model numbers on both the TV and SS system might help) that you have a receiver or integrated amplifier/processor with a built-in DVD player. Not sure if this is an HDTV LCD TV but problably not since you have a straight cable hook-up with no cable box (unless this TV has a built-in cable card for HDTV).

It seems that you would then be connecting the cable directly to the TV with a regular antenna cable to the TV cable input connection. You should now have picture on the TV and sound from the TV speakers.

You would then connect the audio out RCA jacks (there are two, red and black or red and white) from the TV to the RCA audio in jacks on the rear of the control unit (DVD player as you call it or int amp or receiver combo unit). Now these in jacks would normally be labelled TV or you can use any other line level in jack. You would make sure the function selector on the combo unit is set to TV or the specific in jack function you actually use. The sound from the DVD to the amp should be an internal connection.

You should now have TV sound thru the combo unit to the speakers. The DVD video out jack(s) would run to the TV video in jack(s)((these would probably be component cables (3 RCA cables) or s-video or composite video (1 RCA cable), depending on your particular video hook-ups on both the TV and DVD)).

However, you would normally turn off the TV speakers with a menu switch on the TV or sometimes just turn down the TV sound manually. Sometimes there is more than one audio out set of jacks, one is fixed and one is variable (you would use the fixed jacks). Make sure you read the TV manual to verify this.

This should work. However, you are mentioning ''optical'' cables. Presume you are not talking about ''video'' cables but rather optical and coaxial digital audio cables (these are two different type of cables that are used for the same thing). These are for digital audio signals used for Dolby Digital sound from a DVD or HDTV sound.

If you still can't figure it out please give us the Polaroid and Philips model numbers.

RR6

Collapse -
This is what I have
by listerinestrips / July 31, 2006 1:01 AM PDT
In reply to: OK

The model numbers are the following. Polaroid- FLM-2632 and Philips- HTS3450
The TV's NTSC tuner is hooked up to a coaxial RF cable to the wall which receives basic cable. The ATSC tuner(The TV obviously has HD) goes to an antenna picking up the HDTV. Sound for the NTSC tuner works fine on the TV but it just won't work connected to the DVD player. I mean it plays on the TV's speakers still and won't play over the surround sound. The cables are connected properly. The composite audio out from the TV is going to the audio in on the DVD player. I checked them a million times and they are correct. I checked every single menu on the TV and there's no way I can switch to different speakers. I just can't figure out why the TV audio won't play on the surround sound. Like I said I even hooked up my gamecube's sound composite cables to the DVD player and that played fine over the surround sound. It has to be the TV's audio out, correct? I mean the only explanation would be that something internal is broken. Also I know Coaxial and optical are digital alternatives for sound and they probably wouldn't work since it's still being run on the analog signal. I can get a tech support guy from Polaroid take a look for free since it's still under warranty but I was wondering if there was anything I can do.

Collapse -
google is amazing
by masterying01 / July 31, 2006 4:22 AM PDT
In reply to: This is what I have

polaroid's website provides the users guide.

Go to the HDTV menu in your TV. where it says SPDIF Type, change it from PCM to Bitstream.

Collapse -
WIll it work with everything else?
by listerinestrips / July 31, 2006 4:51 AM PDT
In reply to: google is amazing

Even if this does work with the HDTV will it also work for the other inputs(TV, component1, etc.) Although I definitely will try it when I get home. Thanks!

Collapse -
I just tried it
by listerinestrips / July 31, 2006 8:45 AM PDT
In reply to: google is amazing

I tried changing it from PCM and all there was was off and dolby digital. I tried all 3 and none worked. I just don't understand why this won't work?! I'm starting to lose it. I tried eeeeeeverything. I tried unplugging, powering down, yada yada yada... No matter what it won't work. Any final suggestions before I bash everything in with a hammer..... Ok I won't really but it's soooo freaking annoying.

Collapse -
same problem with surround sound
by madamelaflamme / March 25, 2008 11:45 AM PDT

I just hooked up my new sharp aquos lcd hd tv and everything is working but the I have the same problem as you.I have a DVD player with surround sound ( called a home theater system) and an integrated receiver. I used audio out on the tv and audio in on the Dvd. set the DVd player to TV, set the TV to all the inputs ( I tried them all) and turned off the sound on the Tv. The surround sound on the TV is set to on. What am I missing? What do I need to set on the TV to get the sound through the DVD speakers? ( Yes the DVD player is turned on) I am at my wits end too and have almost given up. The speakers work cause when I play a DVD the sound is fine. Anyone else out there have a sharp tv with thsi problem?

Collapse -
Which cables?
by HTHMAN / March 26, 2008 7:47 AM PDT

You will not get 5.1 surround sound from your TV or any other souce unless you are using Optical, Digital Coax, or HDMI cables from the TV to your receiver. The input you select on your receiver will be the same as the input you plugged into. If your TV does not have an Optical, Coax or HDMI OUTPUT, you can not do it through your receiver.

If your TV provides surround sound, you probably have connections for surround speakers or it provides a simulated surround sound from its built in speakers.

Read the owners manual for specific information.

Collapse -
RF Modulator
by akachunk / April 2, 2008 5:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Which cables?

All you need is a RF Modulator. Its acts just like a VCR, the Coax goes in and comes out as RCA , yellow, Red, and White. All you have to do is plug the red and white( sound) to the receiver or DVD, and the Yellow (Video) to the Video input on the TV. That simple. Then switch input on TV to RCA. and the receiver Function to TV/Video for the sound. Hope that helps

http://hometheater.about.com/cs/dvdlaserdisc/a/aadvdrfmoda.htm

Collapse -
sharp aquos
by 675jvp / August 11, 2009 1:22 AM PDT

hi i have a sharp aquos lcd tv and i dont seem to be able to get my kef kit 120 home cinema system to work either its ok with dvd .
tried all combinations but nothing !

Collapse -
sd v hd
by geekfreak123 / December 19, 2008 8:05 PM PST

the red and white cables will only send out standard definition signal they will not send a signal that is coming from optical source or hdmi

Collapse -
surround sound question
by alsemerci / July 16, 2009 2:27 PM PDT
In reply to: sd v hd

hey, im not quite familiar with all that technical stuff so yeah.
ive got a lg plasma television, lg surround sound with sub, and a lg dvd player.
i connect my surround sound dirrectly to my dvd player(got a section at the rear) and when i watch dvd movies it works perfect.

i also got foxtel and watch normal tv, how do i connect my surround sound dirrectly to the television or link it to the television so when i do watch foxtel and normal tv, surround sound would work?

Collapse -
Getting 5.1 Surround Sound out of the TV audio-out
by coffeejunkie / August 11, 2009 3:26 AM PDT

You TV has only two speakers and can generate only simulated surround sound. The audio outs coded red and white are probably also labelled LEFT or RIGHT. If so, they are only simple left-right channel stereo audio. You can get your DVD player to produce simulated surround sound from them, but no real 5.1 Surround Sound. I assume you do get left-right channel stereo from your TV through your DVD/receiver.

If your DVD player has audio-in, you may have a DVD writer. All DVD writers I've seen seems to dumb down both video and audio signals, meaning that it probably offer S-video for audio input while it puts out component video for your TV set; and let you record only stereo audio while it can produce 5.1 Surround Sound from a DVD movie. I think DVD writers do that to help enforce DVD movie copy-right rules.

Having said that, if your DVD/receiver indeed has a coax audio input, then you may be able to play 5.1 Surround Sound from your TV, assuming it's connected to a coax audio out from your TV. If your DVD/receiver is meant to receiver either analog or digital sound, you may still need to set the audio channel for DIGITAL audio.

Collapse -
similar problem having surround sound from TV.
by ravivchandran / February 17, 2011 9:13 PM PST

I have a similar problem having surround sound from TV.
I have a samsung LA-40c530 lcd tv which has digital optical out and analog audio output.
I also have a hometheater system Philips-HTS3555 with digital coaxial input and RCA audio(white and red)inputs for TV.
I have connected TV's analog audio out to RCA input of the hometheater. I am not able to get the surround sound- split sound from all the 5 speakers- when i watch any TV programme.Sound comes only from two speakers and woofer.
how will i get surround sound when i watch tv programme?
and How will i connect digital optical out of TV to digital coaxial in of hometheater?

Collapse -
Similar Problems with connections
by Icepanther2001 / June 18, 2015 2:42 PM PDT

I am also Having problems that are similar. I have a Sony BDV-N5200W Bluray Home theater system and a Polaroid 46GSR3000 LCD TV. I cant seem to get the connection correct to get the sound to work when on TV.

Collapse -
9 years later.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 18, 2015 2:58 PM PDT

I'd start a new post with full model numbers so members can toss up ideas.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.