Windows 7

General discussion

Problem with Windows 7 & Windows Live Mail

by gonavy / March 10, 2010 12:29 PM PST

I set up a Dell XPS computer with Windows 7 pre-installed on 6 March. On 7 March, I finally figured out how to configure Windows Live Mail & sent myself a test message which came through. On 9 March, I attempted to forward a message & received a "could not connect to the server" message with an error code of 0x800CCC0E. Curiously, I can still receive messages.

I contacted my ISP & found, naturally, that all of my settings were correct. I then called Dell support, & a technician spent something like 4 hours online with my computer trying to find the problem with no success.

The only software changes that have been made since WLM worked correctly are a bunch of Microsoft updates & the installation of Microsoft Office.

I'm seriously considering doing a system restore back to 8 March, but I thought I would check here first to see if anyone else has encountered this problem. I'm not completely dead because I do have a laptop with XP that works fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem with Windows 7 & Windows Live Mail
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem with Windows 7 & Windows Live Mail
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Googled for the error code
by lacsr / March 10, 2010 11:37 PM PST

Found the following: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302339
http://www.updatexp.com/0x800ccc0e.html
I have had similar errors when using Road Runner mail from a remote location, IE: outside their domain but it would work again when on one of their domains in a different location. If this is a desktop and it is in the same location as it was when working, check to see what smtp server it is trying to connect to when sending. If you have more than one email account set up on the Windows Live Mail client software, it may pick a default setting for the sending smtp server.

Collapse -
Still have the problem.
by gonavy / March 11, 2010 2:22 AM PST

Thanks for the info, lacsr. I had read the Microsoft bulletin but ignored it because it applied to Windows Express; however, I just tried the steps outlined anyway in case it might work. No joy.

I have only one e-mail account, & the outgong mail is pointed to the correct smtp server. The thing that keeps bugging me is that I was able to send messages right after I set up Windows Live Mail but 2 days later was unable to do so. That would seem to point to a software problem, probably in one of Microsoft's patches.

Doing a system restore might be the only way to resolve this. If it is a problem caused by a Microsoft update, I'll have one h of a time trying to figure out which one it is.

Collapse -
Two things...
by John.Wilkinson / March 11, 2010 2:48 AM PST

1.) Windows Live Mail is the replacement for Outlook Express. While the two re vastly different, the error messages are the same in this case, so those articles do apply.

2.) Before performing a System Restore, try deleting the account from within WLM and recreating it, verifying the settings as you configure the 'new' account.

John

Collapse -
Been there, done that
by gonavy / March 11, 2010 4:25 AM PST
In reply to: Two things...

John, during the marathon session with the Dell tech, we went so far as to create a new user account in Windows with admin authority. Using that account, we then set up a WLM account from scratch. Prior to that we uninstalled McAfee so we could rule out any interference from the security software. Likewise we took down Spybot.

In setting up my plan for a possible system restore, I discovered that the earliest point would be prior to an upgrade of Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant 5.0 to 6.5. If that does, in fact, solve my problem, I just have to figure some way to keep the Assistant from upgrading.

Maybe the ultimate solution is going to be something I've been avoiding for, lo, these many years, & that would be to go to Outlook.

TANSTAAFL

Collapse -
Quick note...
by John.Wilkinson / March 12, 2010 1:16 AM PST
In reply to: Been there, done that

The Windows Live ID update should be unrelated, as your ISP's email account is not connected to the Windows Live login system. It's worth a try, though, as the System Restore may reverse other changes that are related to the issue.

If it does not resolve the problem, I would try a third-party email program, such as Mozilla Thunderbird, as well as another computer if possible.

Let us know how it turns out.
John

Collapse -
When you installed Office
by peacox / March 12, 2010 6:53 PM PST

the application Outlook which is part of office may have taken over as the default mail handler. In some circumstances this can create confusion in the sending of mail but have little or no effect on receiving.
In windows live mail on the Tools menu choose Options and check at the bottom of the General Page that "This application is the default mail handler"

Collapse -
Same old, same old
by gonavy / March 13, 2010 5:52 AM PST

I don't have Outlook installed so have (or had) only one handler. The reason I say had is because I just finished downloading Mozilla Thunderbird & have the same problem with it. That is, I can receive but not send.

It's becoming more & more evident that I have 2 alternatives--restore an earlier version of the system or reinstall Win7. UGH!

TANSTAAFL

Collapse -
In that case...
by John.Wilkinson / March 15, 2010 8:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Same old, same old

I'd suspect that one of three things is the cause:

1.) The ISP's SMTP details have changed, regardless of what the one representative said.

2.) The port (port 25 by default) is currently in use by another program installed on your computer. Try running the system in Safe Mode to see if the problem is resolved.

3.) The port (port 25 by default) or, outbound traffic in general for the program, is being blocked by security software. Try adding an exception in your firewall and even temporarily disabling it if necessary.

John

Collapse -
We aren't in Kansas anymore, Toto
by gonavy / March 15, 2010 12:12 PM PDT
In reply to: In that case...

John, let me take your points one at a time.

1.) I have talked to at least 3 different techs over the past week. In XP, the outgoing server was smtp.suscom-maine.net, but Win7 uses mail.suscom-maine.net for both incoming & outgoing. I am able to send myself an e-mail from the ISP's web-based Webmail; I think it it uses the same outgoing server.

2.) The port for Win7 is 587. During the marathon session with the Dell tech, we tried Safe Mode but were still unable to send.

3.) McAfee is installed on my computer. During the aforementioned marathon session, we uninstalled it & tried sending in Safe Mode with no success.

As an aside, I just pinged the server mail.suscom-maine.net & had no problems. I don't know whether that has to go through the firewall or not. Things were a heck of a lot simpler when everything was done from a green screen command line!

Collapse -
Just a few points
by peacox / March 15, 2010 4:52 PM PDT

item 1 in your post no.10, It's your Isp not win7 that decides the server names.
Item 2 it's your isp that requires authentication and therefore a secure port 587 rather than an insecure default port 25 not win7.
The error message clearly states it cannot connect to the outgoin server and I suspect it is because it is not getting the authentication it requires.
Windows Live Mail is Outlook Express renamed and all of the settings are almost identical. Your Isp has a web page giving details of the settings for Outlook Express but they skate over the settings reqired once you have checked the box for authentication of out going mail.

Collapse -
Quick points...
by John.Wilkinson / March 16, 2010 4:25 AM PDT

1.) The SMTP server is designated by your email provider, not Windows. Thus, if smtp.suscom-maine.net was your SMTP server before, it remains so unless your provider changed the server settings. Try the old one to see if it works. You may also be able to use smtp.comcast.net.

2.) Since smtp.suscom-maine.net is a Comcast server, make sure that "This server requires a secure connection (SSL)" is unchecked and that "My outgoing server requires authentication" is checked.

3.) Try using Thunderbird Portable on another computer (portable version so you don't leave your credentials or email behind) and see if the problem persists to rule out it being a machine issue.

4.) I started out on those 'green screen' machines, but my cherished memories from those days largely involve sledge hammers. Happy

John

Collapse -
Problem is solved-sort of
by gonavy / March 16, 2010 5:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Quick points...

Thanks for all of your suggestions. If I had done a little more thinking at first, I might have saved all of you a lot of effort.

John, you were right. Comcast insists that Win7 machines must go to mail.suscom-maine.net, but I am now set up to go to port 25 on smtp.suscom-maine.net. It works fine. I should have realized that earlier because that's how my laptop running Win XP is set up.

You might have used sledgehammers, but I ended with a head full of white hair & probably a couple of broken toes.

The final question I would have is who finally deletes this thread?

TANSTAAFL

Collapse -
Threads are rarely deleted...
by John.Wilkinson / March 17, 2010 4:46 AM PDT

Unless a thread violates a forum policy, it is left intact indefinitely so that future readers may benefit from the questions and answers it contains. As simple or unique as a problem may seem, there's usually someone who benefits from finding it in a Google search down the road, saving the time of asking and answering a previously-covered issue.

In any case, glad it was sorted out, and feel free to compliment the Comcast representatives on a job well done. Wink

Cheers!
John

Collapse -
Windows Live Mail drops off message content
by ChrisJBG / April 7, 2010 4:03 PM PDT

Hi John and others,

It's indeed good that this thread has been left intact because I have a problem which is similar, so your info has been "something to try" although it hasn't yet solved my problem.

Our organisation has a brand new laptop running Windows7 (Home Premium) with Windows Live Mail installed. All Windows Updates are up-to-date. Firewall and Anti-Virus are via Norton Internet Security.

The laptop is receiving emails okay. The problem is that with SOME outward emails (note: some, but not all), something is dropping off some of the header information. So the recipient gets an email with no subject-line or content, and from "Sender Unspecified".

We have narrowed these failures down slightly, but not to anything conclusive. 'New' emails (ie those newly composed by the sender and then sent) are failing [in this manner] 100% of the time. 'Forwarded' emails (ie those already received from elsewhere then flicked on) work some of the time. In other words, you can send two forwarded emails - one immediately after the other - and one will work, while the other will not.

On the laptop, I have compared the headers on the two sent/forwarded emails, and the header on the one which failed is more-or-less the same as the header on the one which worked.

But on the recipient's PC, and looking at the "blank" email, the first part of the header information (reply-to etc) is there, but a lot of the lower stuff (subject, fro, to etc) is not - resulting in the recipient receiving a "blank" email of course.

This problem is not just affecting one recipient, and other users' emails (inwards and outwards) on the same LAN are unaffected by the same problem, so overall I'm tending to think that the problem lies in the area of the laptop/Windows7/Windows Live Mail/Firewall.

Has anyone else struck this problem or anything like it? The strange thing is that we think there was no problem when we first purchased the laptop (3-4 weeks ago) and that this has only 'come on' over the past couple of weeks.

I'd be extremely grateful for any tips or suggestions. I've already gone to a number of 'help' sites, but can find nothing which really matches. I haven't attempted to report this to Microsoft yet (hahaha) - I'd rather consult with other users as I'm hoping that will yield much more help.

Look forward to hearing back.

Collapse -
Initial thoughts and questions...
by John.Wilkinson / April 8, 2010 5:15 AM PDT

1.) Do the email providers offer a web interface? If so, take a look at the outgoing emails and see if the headers and the body are intact.

2.) Try installing Thunderbird as a Windows Live Mail alternative on that laptop, then send a few test messages; seE if the problem persists.

3.) Using Thunderbird, download all of the past emails from the server and browse through those the user sent out, inspecting the headers as in #1.

4.) Is this affecting just a single account or all accounts within WLM?

5.) Tell us a little more about the account(s). Specifically, are they Hotmail accounts using WebDAV or third-party providers using IMAP/POP3?

6.) Temporarily disable Norton IS's email protection and add an exception to the firewall to exclude WLM from content filtering. Norton and others have occasionally caused such problems in the past, stripping parts of emails, webpages, etc. due to flawed signatures.

Let us know on all the above and we'll go from there.

John

Collapse -
Windows Live Mail dropping content - interim response
by ChrisJBG / April 8, 2010 9:18 AM PDT

Hi John,

Thanks for the suggestions. The laptop is out of the office at present; will try fuller experiments as soon as it's back and will let you know.

But just briefly .....

[1] Yes there is a web interface I can get to via our hosting account, good point - yes, I will check the content of the outgoing emails.

[4/5] There is only one [POP3/IMAP] account installed.

[5] I did disable the Norton email protection earlier, and it made no difference to the problem. However, I didn't try the firewall exception in conjunction with that.

Will talk to you again soon.

CG

Collapse -
Windows Live Mail dropping content
by ChrisJBG / May 6, 2010 8:37 PM PDT

Hi John,

Apologies for the delay, just reporting back on the outcome.

The problem is related to Norton Internet Security; if I untick the checking of outward emails, 90% of the problem goes away. There are still one or two emails the owner sends or forwards which get stripped (for reasons we can't quantify or fathom), but the overall situation is a whole lot better than it was.

Norton was supplied with the laptop as a 60-day free 'gift' which will shortly be requiring us to either subscribe and pay, or let it lapse. All things considered, we're intending to let it lapse and install an alternative product, because the plain fact remains that none of our other PCs are using NIS and none of them have that problem.

Having said that, none of the other PCs are on Windows7 either. NIS itself is probably a fine product, but maybe there are some funny issues specific to its relationship with Windows7. We won't really know until some alternative security software is installed.

Will add a note on here to advise of the final outcome.

CG

Collapse -
MAJOR PROBLEMS WITH WINDOWS LIVE MAIL AND ANY OF MY TWO
by JSTEINBRAKER / May 19, 2012 1:03 AM PDT

I am having major problems with windows live mail and my two hotmail accounts i have linked to it. The error i am receiving is 0x80048820 and 0x80048849 ! I NEED HELP ASAP AS WE USE THIS PROGRAM FOR OUR BUSINESS AND PERSONAL USE! PLEASE HELP!!!

Collapse -
Did you try all the above?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2012 2:34 AM PDT

I can't tell from your post.

Collapse -
solved
by JSTEINBRAKER / May 19, 2012 4:09 AM PDT

I solved the problem. the problem was my email setup using an http server and i had to change the server over to pop3 email server to get it to work. Thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.