TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Problem with Toshiba LCD TV - Picture Freeze + Sound Issue

by uncleoflies / September 11, 2011 12:34 AM PDT

In late 2009, I bought a new Toshiba LCD TV, model 40RV525U, and it worked fine for about a year. Recently, it's begun behaving erratically. At seemingly random times, the picture will freeze and the set will emit a high-pitched shriek that always startles me, and it often occurs while I'm asleep, adding extra stress.

The set becomes unresponsive, and I can only shut it off by unplugging it. After I plug it back it, the set works fine, until it happens again, several weeks (or months) later.

I have no idea what's causing this, and the set is no longer under warranty, so I was wondering if anybody here had any familiarity with the issue, and whether it would be more cost-effective to simply go shopping for a new television.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem with Toshiba LCD TV - Picture Freeze + Sound Issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem with Toshiba LCD TV - Picture Freeze + Sound Issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
by 3coursedinner / September 11, 2011 5:41 AM PDT

First of all, if it has a sleep timer, I would recommend setting it so it goes off before you fall asleep.
Seriously, I looked through the user reviews at CNET. Although 15 of 16 reviews were very positive, one person cited "a high pitched squeal" which Toshiba has not resolved. The rater said this happens when the TV is getting a signal from 2 different inputs. I don't know if the rater or Toshiba have that opinion. Have no real idea what that means unless there's an internal problem if a signal from one input leaks into another once in a while. What is connected to the TV?
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/toshiba-40rv525u/4852-6482_7-33248762-4.html?tag=userReviews;page
Since months can go by before it happens again, it may not be worth the cost of a bench check, especially if the problem can't be replicated.

Collapse -
Answer
by DKDROCK / June 4, 2012 5:44 AM PDT

Looks like whatever problem they had, they still have it. I just bought model 40E210U, and I have the exact same issue within 1 month. About a week later, it made a sizzling sound and shut down completely. It was under warranty, so I took it in, and they replaced the entire mother board. I just got it home a week ago, and the same issue just happened again. Now it's back to the repair place! My mother-in-law also owns a Toshiba LCD, and said she has the same issue as well.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.