Computer Help forum

Question

Problem with sound

by Maki21 / April 3, 2013 4:06 AM PDT

Hi, I think this is the right place to post this.
Recently I built a new cheap comp as my 6 year old one was on it's last legs and i figured the cost it would take to upgrade it I might as well build a new one. Since making this one my speakers make a random popping noise, far too irregular to time but it happens maybe 2-3 times a day, usually just 1 loud static pop. a couple of times it's made several low pops rythmically over the space of a couple of minutes before stopping.
Yesterday when removing a usb stick a load of static came from the speakers, it was a bit of a struggle to pull the stick out, but once it was out the static stopped and didn't occur while it was fully in either.
Installing and uninstalling seemed to make the sound briefly stutter although i put that down to a spike in cpu usage that briefly stopped the sound data transferring smoothly.
The popping did occur with my old computer but it was far less frequent, i had a larger issue with bad static randomly for several minutes while watching stuff on youtube with my old comp.
Any ideas on what could be causing it?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem with sound
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem with sound
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Sadly it is usually 1 or 2 things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2013 6:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Problem with sound

The worst thing I encounter today is really terrible Windows installs. Here we are decades later and the usual OS from the usual source still can't find and install the drivers for us. Maybe this was acceptable long ago but the industry has had a very long time to sort this out. READ YOUR POST and no mention of make, model so my guess is this is the issue. Fix? Work with the machine's maker to find the set of drivers to install and hope for the best.

The second issue I encounter is onboard audio issue. For this reason I carry a 2 to 3 buck USB audio stick to step in (the ones I use require no drivers for most versions of Windows) and see if the problem continues. I've lost count how many of these sticks stick.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Since It Happened On BOTH Computers...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 3, 2013 7:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Problem with sound

...have you tried simply swapping in a known good pair of speakers.. The speakers you're using could be bad, the speaker wiring could be bad, or the connector to the speakers could be bad. Swapping in a different pair of speakers is a good test.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks for the theories
by Maki21 / April 4, 2013 4:32 AM PDT

Well I built the computer myself, spent a while updating the drivers so unless they got corrupted by something else I installed I think they are fine.
For reference my motherboard is an asus P8Z77-V LX, using the onboard sound from that.
Today i got a continuous low level crackling noise, tried unplugging the usb that i thought caused it yesterday, didn't change it, i muted the speakers and still got it, then i tried unplugging the speaker leads and until they were fully disconnected i got a load more static and distortion coming out of the speakers, plugged them in and the crackling didn't return straight away. The speakers are fairly old so is it more likely the speaker cables are worn and dodgy?

Collapse -
Didn't I Suggest Such Previously....?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 4, 2013 4:47 AM PDT
"have you tried simply swapping in a known good pair of speakers..? The speakers you're using could be bad, the speaker wiring could be bad, or the connector to the speakers could be bad. Swapping in a different pair of speakers is a good test."

The easiest way to test is try a different set of speakers, wiring, and connectors. If that doesn't get it done, and reinstalling the drivers doesn't fix things, then the onboard sound card is faulty.

Hope this helps.

Grif
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.