Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

problem with sony walkman NWA-808

by bienf / May 28, 2010 11:08 PM PDT

Hello,
i have changed computer, installed sonywalkman software on new computer, i thought my file were on my mp3 player and still usable.

now i have livrary error when turn on my walkman, i can't see the music files on the player from sony media manager software, whereas it shows only 80 mo free on the 8Go walkman, it seems that i can't access mp3 cause my library was on the old computer that is gone now.

what can i do to recover my files?
thanks a lot
Fabien

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: problem with sony walkman NWA-808
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: problem with sony walkman NWA-808
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tried looking @ the Sony...
by make_or_break / May 28, 2010 11:50 PM PDT

...using a file browser instead of the Sony software? Recent Walkmans and their content do show up in apps like Windows File Explorer. If the data is still on and is intact on the player, you may be able to retrieve the files using the file manager of your choice.

Collapse -
I can see datas from windows explorer,
by bienf / May 29, 2010 8:09 PM PDT

i can even read oma files wich are stored in randomly named files and folder like: E:\OMGAUDIO\10F00\100003A0.OMA or E:\OMGAUDIO\10F03\100003A9.OMA, wich are not corresponding to album, songs or artitsts.

i would like to be able to recover at least the good original file and folders names (library), so i can syncrhonise it back to my MP3 player.
i have no backup of my library.
Walkman says "library error... ..." since i tried to synchonize with nothing on my computer.

its seems that since my computer is new, library is lost, and i'am ******!!:(

thanks a lot if you have an idea.

Collapse -
See if you solve it the iTunes way
by fihart / May 30, 2010 6:29 AM PDT

Though not so common with Sony products your experience is common with iPod users (music file names hidden) and there are various solutions to be found if you Google the issue. Obviously iTunes is not identical but the principles are similar and may give you a clue.

It is possible to recover your music back from a player into iTunes (I've done with a secondhand iPod where I wanted to save all the music onto my computer before wiping the iPod) and I'm guessing you may be able to do the same with Sony.

I happen to have a newer Sony and though it offered the option of using SonicStage, my experience with iTunes ensured that I would never voluntarily use a program which messed with my music that way.

Collapse -
How to do this with an iPod
by fihart / June 1, 2010 5:58 PM PDT

You might peruse this and see if it helps figure out how to restore files from your Sony to the computer. Obviously the specifics are different but the principles are probably similar.

This borrowed from: http://www.soundpixels.com/

Moving your music from your iPod to your PC

1. In Windows Explorer, go to Tools > Folder Options > View. In the Advanced Settings list, under Hidden files and folders, check the radio button for ?Show hidden files and folders?. Then click OK. You?ll get a Windows security warning but it?s safe enough to disregard it as we will only be disabling this function for a short while.

2. Plug in your iPod. In Windows Explorer, a folder will now appear with the name of your iPod.

Double-click on that. Go to the sub-folders ?iPod_Control? and then ?music?. You?ll find your music there randomly scattered across multiple folders and with scrambled file names. But don?t worry, the ID3 tags are still fully intact and we are now going to ?unscramble? the files.

3. But first copy all the music from those iPod folders into a new folder on your hard-drive. Move all the songs into one single folder and discard all the folders that your iPod made. By the end, you should have one folder in your hard-drive with all the scrambled files together.

4. Open up iTunes and do the following : Go to Edit > Preferences. Under the Advanced tab, under the General ?sub-tab?, select the local folder where you have copied the music from your iPod (by clicking Change?).

Check the box ?Keep iTunes Music folder organized? and click OK. Also make sure you have wiped all previous music from iTunes so your playlists are blank.

5. In iTunes, click ?File? then ?add folder to library?. Select the folder where all your copied music is. iTunes will now re-import all your music back into the playlists. But more importantly, because you have previously clicked ?Keep iTunes Music Folder organised?, iTunes will now start renaming and organising your songs into their correct names, albums and folders. This may take a while depending on how many songs you have in your iTunes library.

There you have it. Oh and don?t forget to go back into Windows Explorer, and to Tools > Folder Options > View. Reverse what you did so the hidden files remain hidden again. You may also want to de-select ?Keep iTunes Music Folder organised? if you don?t normally use that option.

You may want to also take this opportunity (before doing the above) to wipe your iPod and revert it back to the factory settings. Lifehacker also suggests defragging your iPod (although I think that is potentially rife with problems). Then afterwards, just use iTunes to move your music from your PC back to your iPod.

Reverting it back to factory settings is good for getting rid of any crap that has built up inside the iPod and making it run faster. After all, the iPod is basically a hard-drive and like PC hard-drives, an iPod can do with a purge once in a while to give it its speed back.

Collapse -
So did you...
by make_or_break / June 3, 2010 11:40 PM PDT

...try copying the files to your computer's hard drive using File Explorer? (I'm assuming your latest computer is a Windoze machine...)

I don't know much about Sony ATRAC format audio files (.oma) or the software app that Sony created to manage the stuff. But if I were you, I'd copy the files to a folder on your computer, then open your Sony software and then try reading those files. But since I don't have a clue as to how the software works, I wouldn't be able to tell you as to how to get the application to point to the folder where you've copied the .oma files to, or where the best location/foled is for you to copy the files off your player to (My Music in My Documents?).

If you can get your old Sony software to run and to see the files on your hard drive correctly, then you MIGHT be in business. But whether or not you can get your software+device to work on your new computer (Windows 7?) is still questionable. But at the very least you might be able to continue to listen to your songs from your computer. As with most other audio filetypes like .MP3 my guess is that the song metadata is embedded in the files and IF your Sony software is working correctly on your new computer it should have no problem reading and displaying the data, even with filenames that make not sense whatsoever.

But if you get this far, if it were me the FIRST THING I'd do is find a conversion program that can convert those .oma files to .mp3 or some other non-DRM format. ATRAC is a locked-down proprietary media filetype that even Sony doesn't believe in anymore; they ditched it approximately three years ago. I'm not aware of any current Walkman that can play the stuff, and certainly no other manufacturer uses ATRAC. Those file conversions may not work with your old Walkman since Sony was pretty bad about mp3 file support on many of their early ATRAC devices and to be honest I don't have a clue as to what your device is like, but at least you can use them on any CURRENT MP3 device from ANY company when your old player finally dies.

Good luck with your quest.

Collapse -
Mp3 sony
by bienf / June 6, 2010 9:14 PM PDT
In reply to: So did you...

Thanks a lot Fihart and make_or_break for you help.

i finally decided to forget about it, format the player and buy new music and rip my CDs again, then transfert again to my player, and that obiously work now.

with sonicstage i was indeed able to play the music that was on my mp3 player, but only trhough my computer.

i tried to import everything from player to computer with sonicstage, but files were still in oma files, without any information on the files.
i don't know if metadatas were lost, i think it was sony protected format and i didn't find any tools able to recover my files as it was originally.

Sonicstage is a messy programm not easy to use and not logical in the interface, and it takes aaaaaaaaaages to transfer the datas.
I tried some substitute programms but not working with Windows7.

Next time for sure i won't buy apple or sony players, but creative or archos for exemple, wich act more like a hard drive where you can direcly copy and store your files just with an explorer, and then read them in the reals trees and folders as you stored them.

thanks again
bye

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.