Networking & Wireless

Question

Problem with new samsung laptop

by Prspangler / March 4, 2013 6:33 AM PST

Hello,
I have just recently purchased a new Samsung laptop. The laptop has the intel advanced n 6235 chip inside of it. When I set up the laptop I was at a friends house and it connected to their router perfectly fine. Now that I am home I cannot connect to my wireless router at all. I have tried restarting the laptop and the router and tried everything I could find online. The router was the basic router supplied by verizon when we got fios. The laptop does work when the Ethernet cable is connected directly from the laptop to the router but the second it is removed the wireless stops working right away. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem with new samsung laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem with new samsung laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
is there an on/off switch
by itsdigger / March 4, 2013 6:43 AM PST

for the wifi?

Collapse -
There isn't an on off switch
by Prspangler / March 4, 2013 10:31 AM PST

The problem is that it shows that it is connected to the network expect every time you try to do something like load a web page it drops the signal and then gains it right back whenever I'm not trying to do something on the internet. Whenever I run the repair tool in windows 8 it tells me that the problem is the router but the router works with all of the other computers in the house and they never have this problem with the wifi so i'm not sure what it is.

Collapse -
My new Samsung did same.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2013 2:51 AM PST

It was fixed by Samsung installing the latest driver from their web site. I can't tell if you checked that.
Bob

Collapse -
I installed all new drivers
by Prspangler / March 6, 2013 1:11 AM PST

I talked to samsung and went through and installed all new drivers and even uninstalled and reinstalled many of the drivers and it is still not working. I have talked to many people at samsung too and they still cannot give me a straight answer about what is the problem besides that it's probably the router. Which i know it isn't since every other computer can still connect to it.

Collapse -
I installed one driver.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 6, 2013 1:24 AM PST

I can only guess what would happen if I did more than that. I'm a bit old school in I don't fix it what's not broke. I don't install an audio driver if my WiFi is not working.

-> There's a lot more to cover here. For example, some Netgear routers do have connect issues. Now some folk can't read beyond the page but here it is.
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21865

Here's the beyond the page if you don't extend it yourself. My Samsung and my Kindle Fire HD 7 were having trouble too so I checked into this and found some advice about rolling back a version in the router. That helped immensely.

-> Also, I think it's proper to have connection issues under the scenario you painted above where you had the Ethernet plugged in and then disconnected it and tried for WiFi without a reboot. There are some that think it should work but again, you are relying on some thousand programmers which are like links in a chain to get it right. I would not have expected that scenario to work.

Hope this helps,
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.