Office & Productivity Software forum

Question

Problem with MS Word 2003

by johnshunt / December 7, 2012 10:43 PM PST

I am running Word 2003 under Win7. Until yesterday no problems for over two years. All of a sudden, I can not access the main toolbar within Word. When I click on "File" or any other option, the drop down expands briefly then disappears and when I hover over it I get a + (with arrows top and bottom).

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Word, repaired it and done all the usual troubleshooting problems recommended by Microsoft:

"This article shows you how to use the Troubleshoot utility to turn off the following components. These components

are typically loaded during Word startup:

The Word Data registry key
The Word Options registry key
The Normal.dot global template
Add-ins and templates
COM add-ins
The Options registry key"

None of these cures the problem. I can run Word from the command prompt in the safe mode, but . . . .

I have scanned for viruses and found none with Trendnet.

Can anyone suggest something else??

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem with MS Word 2003
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem with MS Word 2003
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Word 2003 issues
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 7, 2012 10:53 PM PST

The first thing to try: run it in a new Windows account. If it works there, something (unknown) is wrong with your current account. Just copy all your files to the new account and continue using that.
If it doesn't work their either, it's a Word problem. Then uninstall and reinstall should work. There's no good reason why a new install wouldn't work in a new account.

Only delete the old account after some time, if you're sure you don't need it any more.

Kees

Collapse -
No Luck
by johnshunt / December 7, 2012 11:51 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Word 2003 issues

Set up new user and installed Word 2003 - same problem.

As my "old" user, I have uninstalled and reinstalled (3x) and repaired (4x), all to no avail.

Anyone with any other suggestions?

Collapse -
Word etc. etc.
by pgc3 / December 8, 2012 12:10 AM PST
In reply to: No Luck

If you are fighting it that hard then just download the newest version of OPEN OFFICE, it not only has a very functional word processor but has attributes VERY similar to MS Office, many use this, it is a free download since it is open source software. I have used it for several years on different systems, XP, Vista and Win 7. It is a very simple download, takes a little time but is well worth doing and is compatible with pretty much everything.

Collapse -
Answer
Besides Word 2003 I need one more thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 8, 2012 12:26 AM PST

Microsoft issued a SP3 for Office 2003 and without, it's not working in all ways on my Windows 7 laptop.

I don't see where you mention that.
Bob

Collapse -
MY BAD
by johnshunt / December 8, 2012 12:47 AM PST

I should have said I'm up to date with patches, including SP3 for Office 2003.

Collapse -
Issues
by pgc3 / December 8, 2012 1:57 AM PST
In reply to: MY BAD

All the more reason to just download Open Office and give that a shot.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.