iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

Question

Problem with Itunes Match, Iphone and Itunes

by stevevb / April 6, 2012 3:22 AM PDT

I've got a problem that's driving me crazy. I have a library of about 2500 songs which uses about 10gb of memory. When I set up Match, for some reason it duplicated my whole library. Now, the same library is using 24gb of memory. This has wreaked havoc on my Iphone which is now maxed out. The situation gets stranger. Now, when I go to play music on my laptop, quite a few songs say the song can't be played because the original file can't be found. Yet all the songs play when I use my phone. What's more, the songs don't APPEAR to be duplicated on my phone, yet they must be there because it is using the memory. Also, although the songs that won't play on my laptop, they must still be on the computer somewhere, because it shows 24gb of memory used there as well. I'm perplexed and can really use some help. Thanks in advance!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem with Itunes Match, Iphone and Itunes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem with Itunes Match, Iphone and Itunes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Is this that Apple product?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2012 3:35 AM PDT
Collapse -
Clarification
by stevevb / April 7, 2012 11:40 PM PDT

The issue involves an iPhone 3G and a pc. Now here's an update... After watching about a 1/3 of my music disappear, I found a file in my system that contained music files. I moved that folder to my desktop for easy access. Now get this, I went back to iTunes, and discovered that as I deleted the songs with an ! Next them, they started to reappear, and play correctly. So now I have all my songs back, but they are all duplicated. Now I need a way to get rid of the duplicates so it doesn't take up so much memory. Your thoughts?

Collapse -
My first thought is backup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2012 6:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Clarification

My second and third thoughts are to backup.

Only then would I look at duplicate finders which appear to be plentiful.
Bob

Collapse -
iTunes can be problematic on a PC
by Pepe7 / April 8, 2012 1:47 PM PDT

IME assisting users with iTunes issues on PCs, a good way to solve the problem is to buy a bigger hard drive if possible. (Can your laptop be upgraded?) iTunes is still a bit of an unwieldy beast.

Backups are always crucial, but that doesn't solve the underlying problem of corruption among the libraries that can lead to problems with duplication. I've yet to find a third party program that's always capable of fixing this issue. Some work, but they require some degree of trial and error. My own preference is to upgrade the drive after backing up/imaging everything well first. Second choice would be to re-build the iTunes library from scratch.

-Pedro

Collapse -
Clarification
by stevevb / April 9, 2012 6:11 AM PDT

I appreciate the ideas. My laptop has plenty of memory to handle to the load. The problem is my Iphone. I've got a total of 32gb of memory on my phone, and my music is using 28.5gb. Also, regarding back-up, everything is backed up on Carbonite, and tonight I'll back it up on a flash drive. Now that everything is playing again, I'd love to get rid of the duplicates, save what's left, and then delete all the music folders on my system and start fresh.

Collapse -
Ahh, the light is now on.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2012 7:38 AM PDT

I find some folk want to carry EVERYTHING in the iPod, phone, thing.

Here I have one of the older 20GB iPods and learned to not pile it all on the pod.

You may also find out that the iThing slows down as we put it all on the device. No free space and it's going to drag a little more.

I can't guess if you are the type that must have it all on the portable.
Bob

Collapse -
Bob, you missed my point
by stevevb / April 11, 2012 6:45 AM PDT

I totally understand what you're saying. Having been in the radio biz many years, I have a collection of cds and records that number well over 10,000. I would never need all that in my system. I only had about 2500 songs (and really, probably closer to 1700). That should only take up about 10-12gb. The problem is that Itunes Match, has duplicated everything. That has doubled the size, and that's why I have problems.

Collapse -
And why we get to look at backup then duplicate finders.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 11, 2012 9:21 AM PDT

Itune duplicate finder scripts and apps are too plentiful for me to point out any of them.
Bob

Collapse -
Just be happy you don't have a *really* big library
by Pepe7 / April 11, 2012 11:46 AM PDT

I've had to help folks with much larger libraries, and it can be messy sometimes ;(.

As a radio guy, at least you had the common sense to pare it down to a more manageable song list(!) My own library is a hot mess, at best, and it includes more and more lossless content.

Collapse -
Definitely use a local backup ahead of Carbonite
by Pepe7 / April 10, 2012 1:41 AM PDT

I suggest you use a local backup ahead of anything up to the cloud, such as Carbonite. It's a lot more reliable IME, and you can control the whole process if you need to. External hard disk space is so cheap now, along with the 16GB flash drives that are starting to flood the e-tailers, it makes little sense not to use that as a primary backup. FWIW, my experience with Carbonite is a mixed bag. YMMV.

Collapse -
Definitely use a local backup ahead of Carbonite
by someone3974 / April 22, 2012 12:03 PM PDT

Learn from this, thanks!

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
OK, start at this link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 11, 2012 12:02 PM PDT
Collapse -
This technology is definitely in it's infantile stage
by Pepe7 / April 12, 2012 12:51 AM PDT

I have no doubt it will get better in the future. I won't count on Apple to be the one to fix it though, given their track record with the iTunes software alone(!) Wink

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.