Computer Help forum

General discussion

Problem with internet pages not loading

by foleys / October 22, 2007 4:12 AM PDT

Hello - We've been having a problem with our PC not loading internet pages correctly ever since we removed some spyware. Here are our specs:

Dell Dimension 8400
XP SP2
Charter ISP (high speed cable)

regularly scan with/run:
ad-aware
spybot s&d
avg anti-spyware
housecall

running:
avast a/v
cyberhawk
kerio sunbelt firewall
spyware blaster

spyware removed:
smitfraud
virtumonde
Agent HZS
VBStat-C
Zlob-ZL
Morphine-G

The problem we are having is intermittent, occasionally everything is fine. But sometimes pages won't load or will only partially load (status bar says "waiting for..., loading..., transferring data from...), or take a very long time to load, or loads a blank page, or loads with funky graphics and fonts. Sometimes pages load as HTML or all gibberish/odd characters/garbled text.

Sometimes firefox tries to download the page instead of displaying it, a dialogue box opens "You have chose to open...which is a: application/octet stream"

I get error messages saying "page not found" but will display a mix of the address I am trying to access with the address of a site I previously was at. For example one I had recently was "Firefox can't find the server at results.thomasnet.com.craigslist.org." which is a mix of 2 previously visited sites.

Sometimes I will click on a link and an unrelated page I previously visited loads instead.

Other error messages I get are:
Bad Request
Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
The request line contained invalid characters following the protocol string.

or
Bad Gateway
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
Additionally, a 502 Bad Gateway error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Hitting reload sometimes helps, but sometimes seems to make the slowdown worse, until it seems to grind to a halt. Rebooting the PC and/or router or relaunching the browser (and clearing cache) sometimes helps to speed things up, but not totally.

This is a problem in both IE and Firefox, but only on this one computer out of 3 that are hooked up to our wireless network, the other 2 do not have any problem so it seems to not be a router or network problem.

I've run
cmd: ipconfig /release
cmd: ipconfig /renew
cmd: netsh winsock reset
cmd: ipconfig /flushdns
seems to help temporarily, sometimes.

Other things I've checked or tried:
hosts file is clean (127.0.0.1 local host is only listing)
can ping addresses - no DNS lookup problem.
uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox
IEFix did not help
WinsockFix did not help
changed/disabled firewall and cyberhawk and A/V, did not help
Ran ccleaner, did not help
DAFT says all file associations are OK.
tried Dr. TCP and set MTU setting to 1492, did not help
updated Java, seemed to help with some sites, but problem described above still exists
ran cmd:SFC.exe/scannow, did not help
updated .dlls using cmd:regsvr32 xxxx.dll, had an error on msjava.dll but not sure if that is related to the problem?
ran enumprocess to make sure there aren't 2 firewalls running
ran Secunia Software inspector

Can anyone help with this before we attempt to reformat? I've researched and tried many things and nothing seems to help. Any advice is most appreciated!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem with internet pages not loading
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem with internet pages not loading
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Wow, that's a lot.
by BrianZachary / October 22, 2007 4:36 AM PDT

Is there a reason you are running so many anti-ad/spyware programs at the same time? I'm not saying this is the cause, but it's a possibility. I may be wrong, but I was always under the impression that anti-spyware programs are like firewalls and antivirus programs in that if you have more than one installed, they conflict with each other. I would start by choosing which of these you want to keep running and uninstall all the others, but like I said, I could be wrong about that.

Since this is a problem with just the one computer and not the other 2, try changing the Ethernet cable from that computer to the router and see what happens, if you haven't tried this already.

It could be too that the signal may be too weak to support so many computers and you may have to get with your cable company to come out to boost the signal. I've had to have this done before.

Have you tried doing a System Restore to when you know everything was connecting? Have you tried other browsers? Also, check your internet security settings in Internet Options.

Let us know how it goes.

Collapse -
Yes, it is alot!
by foleys / October 22, 2007 5:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Wow, that's a lot.

Thank you for your reply.

After getting infected with a mess of spyware, I maybe went overboard with protection. I read here on the CNet forums that Cyberhawk and Kerio compliment each other (both are free versions). Otherwise I have an antivirus (avast) and the spyware blaster, I don't think they conflict with one another but I could be wrong. I have tried disabling each of them to see if one is the culprit but no such luck. I will try again and see if I missed something.

I will have my husband check on the ethernet cable. We do have a cable booster for the TV picture, not sure if that also works on the internet connection.

All browsers are effected, we've tried IE and Firefox, both have the same problem. I've also played around with the security settings and that didn't help either.

I think the mixing of the internet addresses is the key to the issue. I don't know what is causing it though.

It's a puzzle isn't it! I will keep playing around with it.

I appreciate any more thoughts, thanks!

Collapse -
Repair install
by f-king / November 6, 2007 12:17 AM PST
Collapse -
thank you
by foleys / November 6, 2007 2:17 AM PST
In reply to: Repair install

f-king - thank you for that link. That seems easier than reformatting, we will try that first. Thanks!!

Collapse -
Sorry. This is what happens when.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 6, 2007 10:08 PM PST

Others jump into "Your discussion." I took the liberty of chopping off the discussion where the other member jumped in.

That is, this is "foleys" discussion so we'll let them own it.

To the others that jumped in, please make your own discussion that you will own.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.