Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Problem with intermittent connection with Comcast Cable

by ozican / August 6, 2007 2:30 AM PDT

For the last couple of months we have had problems with our cable interent connection with Comcast.
We have a desktop PC which has the cable modem, linksys router and a digital phone adapter, all of which are relatively new and were working fine until a couple of months ago. Comcast have been out and replaced cable ends and spliter, but when they were here it was working. Its irregular with its connection, it could be working for 5mins or 5hrs and the go out for who knows how long. I can reboot modem etc, it might work or it might not. Comcast dont know whats wrong and neither do I.
Anyone have any suggestions or fixes?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem with intermittent connection with Comcast Cable
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem with intermittent connection with Comcast Cable
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
First you have to go without the router.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 6, 2007 3:13 AM PDT

This is an area where we remove what we can do without to narrow down the possible bad parts.

If it is the router, new or not does not matter. New routers arrive with out of date FIRMWARE. We also see a lot of people follow some pundit's advice and disable SSID broadcast. Sorry for WIFI I find that enabling this helps and for security we use WPA.

Good luck but given so little to work with I have only this to share.

Collapse -
Im not sure what info I should give you
by ozican / August 6, 2007 10:03 AM PDT

I have done that and had just the modem connected to the pc and it still went out. Todays been a bad day, it was down most of the day. I have contacted motorola and are waiting on a replacement modem under warranty as I can only figure that is what is causing the problem. I also noticed that Motorola make a modem and digital phone adapter in one, would this be a better option?
How often a nd how should the firmware be updated.
Thank you

Collapse -
Sorry, the only new information was "motorola."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 6, 2007 11:30 AM PDT

Given this is all volunteer efforts please think about supplying what information you can. Without make/model/firmware versions, connection setup, settings from stock and a story all I can do is share a guess. Given so little I'm usually wrong.

Collapse -
Some of us are still learning
by ozican / August 7, 2007 12:42 AM PDT

I dont know much about cable connection, modems, networking, firmware etc. thats why Im on here asking for help and advice. I understand you need more info to help with my problem, but I need to learn more to know what info I need to provide.

Collapse -
not just comcast
by cinnamon37 / August 7, 2007 3:54 AM PDT

I'm having the same problem and it's really beginning to get under my skin as school starts soon and I rely on the internet for classes. My internet is through Charter cable and was working very well until the last month. I'm having fits getting connected. Sometimes it will connect well, other times it won't connect at all. The time lengths you described are exactly what I'm experiencing. I have called Charter a few times and all they can tell me is to 1. unplug modem from power, 2. unplug cable line from modem, 3. plug power cord back in, and 4. wait one minute then plug in the cable cord to the modem. This fixes the problem for a few minutes then I'm back at square one.
The only thing I can figure is that I need to change back to high speed dial up and tell Charter bye-bye. This all began after my one year special expired. Now I am being charged regular price and they are trying to get me to upgrade to a 5m modem. Sounds kinda fishy to me. Are you just out of a "special" contract? Is Comcast trying to get you to upgrade?
Hope to hear from you soon.

Collapse -
Its driving me crazy
by ozican / August 7, 2007 6:10 AM PDT
In reply to: not just comcast

I have been with comcast for about 5 yrs and at $42 a month I expect it to work every day without issues. I own my own modem which is a Motorola SB5120 and it is about 11 months old. Im waiting on a replacement from Motorola, luckily under waranty. If this fixes the problem then I know it wasnt an issue with Comcast. I too go through the reboot proceedure, sometimes it will work sometimes that doesnt even work. Comcast have been out but of course it was working when they were here, but they went ahead and replaced the cable ends and the splitter which resulted in a stronger connection. I thought it was fixed but later that same day it went down again, so right now Im just hoping the new modem does the trick. Ive never had dial up but know its slow. How much are you paying? Do you own or rent the modem? How old is the modem? Its frustrating isnt it.

Collapse -
I'm going to try high-speed bellsouth
by cinnamon37 / August 8, 2007 12:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Its driving me crazy

I give up; yes it's very, very frustrating! I pay far too much (around $55) and I can't have this nonsense happen while I'm taking an exam just to receive a zero for THEIR inability to keep my connection decent. Way I see it is they're ripping off a large part of their customers. As soon as I get my modem (I'm buying) I'm switching to Bellsouth high-speed. It's through the phone line and I'll have a 3g modem, which is what I have now, so I'm not sure if it will be any slower or not. Shouldn't, but then I don't know. I'm a bit computer illiterate. I know how to use one and all, but know very little technical stuff. Hopefully this will be a better solution. If not then I'll have to travel to take my exams and that's just not feasible for me.
Good luck to you. I'll try to let you know how the new arrangements go.

Collapse -
Modem problem
by dahmer17 / September 2, 2007 10:36 AM PDT

I have the same problem. My Motorola SB5100 would stay on line for a few minutes or several hours no prob. Then just disconnect w/o explanation. Bought new modem and same thing still here.

Help if ya figure it out.

Collapse -
Mines working now
by ozican / September 2, 2007 11:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Modem problem

After having no luch with the techs from comcast, my huband went up in the attic and replaced a splitter and some cable ends and we have had any issues since.

Collapse -
by dahmer17 / September 8, 2007 12:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Mines working now

I just put in new splitter and it doesnt help. Now I guess I'll replace the 20' cable and see if thats the problem.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.