Computer Help forum

Question

Problem with custom-built gaming computer

by friedchocken / November 26, 2012 11:58 AM PST

Hi all,

I've had a custom built gaming computer (my brother ordered the parts online and assembled the computer himself) and it has worked fine for a while. Then, we transferred every part of the computer to another case, and ever since, the computer works completely fine but when running a game (in my case, Starcraft II), the computer randomly shuts down. No freeze, no nothing; it just turns off completely.

Any ideas as to what might be wrong and how to fix it?

Some specs:
Intel Quad Core
GeForce GTS 250 graphics card
Windows 7 Home

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem with custom-built gaming computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem with custom-built gaming computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Did you by chance
by Jimmy Greystone / November 26, 2012 10:48 PM PST

Did you by chance get a new case with a bundled power supply? Then use that power supply instead of moving the old one over as well?

Collapse -
no
by friedchocken / November 27, 2012 11:24 AM PST
In reply to: Did you by chance

I did indeed move the power supply over.
I'm thinking there's something wrong with the connections/slots in the internals of the computer, but that doesn't really explain why normal computer functions work.

Collapse -
Then I would say
by Jimmy Greystone / November 27, 2012 10:36 PM PST
In reply to: no

Then I would say that the new case likely has far poorer air circulation for whatever reason, and you're triggering a thermal cutoff. Some component is getting dangerously hot, and so in an effort to try and prevent the equivalent of a meltdown, it shuts the computer off to let some of the heat dissipate.

Collapse -
Download SpeedFan and check temps
by wpgwpg / November 27, 2012 11:06 PM PST
In reply to: Did you by chance

I agree this sounds like something is overheating. Download SpeedFan and check. If the cores are under 50 degrees C, you're OK, if over 65 you have a problem, in between bears watching. Make sure the fan on the CPU is spinning when powered on. Make sure the air ducts aren't blocked. I use extra fans that go into the expansion slots and are powered from the mobo - they cost around $10 and help circulation.

Good luck.

Collapse -
update
by friedchocken / November 28, 2012 8:13 AM PST

Ok, so I downloaded SpeedFan and it is a really nice tool.

Here is what it looks like when no programs are running on the computer:
GPU: 57C (fire symbol)
System: 94C (fire symbol)
CPU: 51C (fire symbol)
AUX: 26C (blue arrow down)
Temp: 94C (fire symbol)
HD0: 26C (blue arrow down)
HD1: 25C (blue arrow down)
Core 0: 47C (green check)
Core 1: 42C (green check)

HOWEVER...

When I started playing Starcraft 2, I checked back on these temperatures and pretty much everything went up, particularly both cores, which skyrocket to about the 70s-80s C.

So this is definitely an overheat problem.. any ideas on how to fix it?

I'm hoping this is the only problem with the computer, because the 5 minutes I played before the computer shut down were great.

Collapse -
When's the last time you cleaned out the dust?
by wpgwpg / November 30, 2012 12:39 AM PST
In reply to: update

Every computer, desktop or laptop will accumulate dust which acts like a blanket to keep heat in. You need to remove the covers and carefully remove the dust at least once a year. Be very careful to ground yourself first and try to avoid touching components other than fans and the CPU's heat sink. Be sure to blow the dust out of the air intakes and in between the fins on the heat sink. Remove the dust bunnies first, then use compressed gas. Also add the exhaust fan I mentioned earlier. When your temps get over 80 degrees, you're in serious danger of damaging components. I hope that hasn't already happened, but those temps you reported are alarming.

Good luck.

Collapse -
When you transplanted the components, did you remount the
by VAPCMD / November 30, 2012 8:08 AM PST
In reply to: update

CPU heatsink fan ? If not, I'd check it carefully to ensure the CPU HS fan is running and the heatsink is securely attached. I'd check the case fans too.

Personally, I'd opt for a high efficiency CPU HS Fan where you can improve the CPU cooling significantly with an aftermarket unit. Check http://www/frostytech.com as they have reviews on a majority of the aftermarket CPU HS Fans units.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Answer
Are you into doing your own work?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2012 8:18 AM PST

Such as replacing all heat sink compounds, checking fans and cutting holes, adding fans or even doing what many folk do and leaving the case cover off?
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.