Cameras forum

General discussion

Problem with Canon PowerShot SX130 IS digital camera

by ESalek / October 22, 2012 5:43 AM PDT

I got my camera for my birthday last year and it worked fine for a while. Now I'm noticing a blurred left bottom corner on every picture. On auto setting it doesn't focus properly and pictures are over saturated. On AV setting the pictures turn out the same as any other setting (meaning it doesn't focus on one thing an makes the background blurry). Anyone has any idea if this can be fixed with changing some settings or i have to have it fixed by a pro?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem with Canon PowerShot SX130 IS digital camera
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem with Canon PowerShot SX130 IS digital camera
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Canon SX130
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / October 22, 2012 7:20 AM PDT

Check the front of the lens (glass) first.
You likely have a fingerprint on the top right quadrant of the lens (glass).
Clean with a soft lintless cotton cloth. You can breathe on the lens to add moisture.

To make sure that you haven't accidentally set something that is causing a problem you should reset your camera to factory settings. Look in the back of the User Manual at the index. Look for reset-all.

Collapse -
Canon SX130
by ESalek / November 12, 2012 2:35 AM PST
In reply to: Canon SX130

I have checked the lens and didn't see any fingerprints or smudges on it. I cleaned it anyways as you suggested. I reset the camera to factory setting and over the weekend I tested it. I took some family pictures outside, on auto settings and guess what ... out of four people on the picture only once looked sharp. The rest of the faces were blurred. I went extra mile and had the camera on a tripod to make sure it wasn't my hands shaking. That didn't help either. I had it on a timer and it seems like it detected all of the faces with green boxes but it focused on the middle only. Any suggestions?

Collapse -
One More Thing
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / November 12, 2012 7:06 AM PST

If we could see the picture, that may be helpful.
Seeing the picture and reading the EXIF information included in the picture file might give some clue to the problem.

If you could post your picture some where on the Internet and give us a link to the picture, we could look at it and extract the EXIF information.

Example:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v159/randol9p9/IMG_0149X1024.jpg
That picture was taken with a Canon A570

If you don't have a place to park your picture you can open a free account on photobucket.com and post your picture there.

When you view your picture on photobucket.com and look to the right of the picture you will see something called "Image Links".
Under that you will see "Direct Link".
That link will be the address you need to post on your reply to this message..
Then we be able to see the picture.

Collapse -
photo
by ESalek / November 13, 2012 12:31 AM PST
In reply to: One More Thing
Collapse -
Decentered Lens
by PistonCupChampion / November 12, 2012 10:09 AM PST

Without seeing an example, I can only guess. But what you describe sounds like a decentered lens.

As far as color saturation is concerned, that is an unrelated issue. Was it like that before? If yes, you can change that in the My Colors menu.

Collapse -
Sample pictures
by ESalek / November 13, 2012 12:35 AM PST
In reply to: Decentered Lens
Collapse -
Thanks for the Pictures
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / November 13, 2012 6:00 AM PST
In reply to: Sample pictures

There is nothing that is in sharp focus, and it appears that the Depth of Field is very narrow.

I need to know the shutter speed, aperture setting and ISO setting. This is all in the EXIF information.
Unfortunately the EXIF information that is normally in the image file is missing from both pictures.

I am going to guess that you reduced the size of the image before uploading it to photobucket.
Some programs that do that will also strip out the EXIF information to reduce the size of the file.

Photobucket has never stripped out the EXIF information on my uploads but they sometime reduce the size of the picture file.

Try uploading to photobucket again, but this time upload the full size images.
Then they should have the EXIF information.

If you take some more pictures, don't use those fir trees/bushes in the background.
The small needles don't photograph well.

Good looking family - they deserve a better picture.

Collapse -
pic sample
by ESalek / November 14, 2012 1:40 AM PST

thank you. I will try uploading it tonight. I'll keep you posted!

Collapse -
new samples
by ESalek / November 15, 2012 3:10 AM PST
Collapse -
Decentered Lens
by PistonCupChampion / November 15, 2012 5:37 AM PST
In reply to: new samples

Looks like a lens element very much out of alignment. I'd send it back to Canon, where you will probably have two options (if they don't cover it under their warranty.) The first is repair. I have zero idea how much that would be, but as it's an inexpensive camera and labor is costly, I doubt it's worth. The second option is Canon has a Canon Loyalty Program, where you can trade in the broken one for a refurbished one at a reduced cost.

Collapse -
Thanks for the try
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / November 15, 2012 7:09 AM PST
In reply to: new samples

But I see the same thing as before.
As if nothing changed

The picture shows to be 1024x768

Try this:
On your computer go to the picture file of the full size picture (the original) and instead of left clicking on the file;
right click on the file (use the right mouse button).

From the window that opens click on "Properties" (it's at the bottom of the list).

From the window that opens,
Click the "Details" tab.

From the window that opens, scroll down and you should find just part of the EXIF information.
That should include the name of the camera
F-Stop
Exposure Time
ISO
Focus Length
Flash Mode
and maybe a few more.

If you find that information let me know what it is.

Collapse -
properties
by ESalek / November 15, 2012 11:39 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks for the try

Dimentions 4000 x 3000
Width 4000 px
Height 3000 px
horizontal resolution 180 dpi
vertical resolution 180 dpi
bit debth 24
Resolution unit 2
color representation sRGB
compressed bits/pixel 3
camera maker Canon
camera model Canon PowerShot SX130 IS
F-stop f/4
Exposure time 1/80 seec.
ISO speed ISO-400
exposure bias 0 step
Focal length 12 mm
Max aperture Pattern
Flash mode No flash, auto
White balance Auto
Digital zoom 1
EXIF version 0230

Collapse -
Thanks for the Properties information
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / November 16, 2012 4:44 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks for the try

I was using Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 on the pictures and was able to finally determine what the camera was focusing on.,

It looks like the point of focus was dead center of the picture and out of focus radiated from that point. The worse focus was to the left and right side.

But even dead center was not a sharp focus.

On that list of items you sent shows the exposure to be nothing out of the ordinary.
f/4, shutter 1/80 sec, and ISO 400.
But look at the next to last item on your list:
"Digital zoom 1"

I cannot say for sure that is the problem but it is surely a possibility .
Digital Zoom degrades any image and should never be used unless you are trying to get the biggest zoom possible irregardless of image quality.
I never use digital zoom.

Go to pages 54 and 55 of your User Manual and set digital zoom to "OFF"
On page 55 set Digital Tele-converter to Off or Zero.

Now try a new picture, but do not stand in front of those bushes.

Collapse -
thank you
by ESalek / November 16, 2012 7:48 AM PST

Thank you so much. Let me work on it over the weekend. You have been a great help. Hopefully the digital zoom is the issue and turning it off will do the trick.

Collapse -
Digital Zoom 1
by PistonCupChampion / November 16, 2012 11:18 AM PST
In reply to: thank you

I seriously doubt it has anything to do with digital zoom. Even if it was "on," 1 stands for x1, or no digital zoom at all. 12mm x 1 = 12mm.

Collapse -
You May Be Right
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / November 17, 2012 12:14 AM PST
In reply to: thank you

I am having to do some guessing here.
The EXIF shows 12mm focal length which indicates some type of zoom was used.
That camera has a native focal length of 5-60 mm.
I would expect to see a focal length of 5.

I am thinking more along the lines of the Digital Tele-converter than the digital zoom.
See page 55 of the User Manual.
It appears it could explain the difference between the 5 and 12 mm focal length.
And it incorporates the same bad photographic effects as digital zoom.

Collapse -
12mm
by PistonCupChampion / November 17, 2012 3:01 AM PST
In reply to: You May Be Right

12mm actual focal length on the SX130 works out to roughly the field of view of a 62mm lens on a 35mm camera, a perfectly normal focal length.

Collapse -
New pics
by ESalek / November 26, 2012 6:38 AM PST
Collapse -
The same as before
by PistonCupChampion / November 26, 2012 6:56 AM PST
In reply to: New pics

I still think your camera has a lens alignment problem. Instead of keep asking on a forum, why not send it to Canon?

Collapse -
Focus Point
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / November 26, 2012 11:25 PM PST
In reply to: New pics

I took one of your photos and used software to oversharpen the picture.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v159/randol9p9/IMG_0430X.jpg

I wanted to see where the point of focus was located.

As you can see the point of focus is just about center and quickly goes out of focus as you leave the center. With the left and right being way out of focus. The entire hedge behind the subjects should look like the hedge right behind the man's head.

Your new pictures don't show the problem as well because you don't have a close object (like the hedge) right behind the subject(s).
I have to agree with others that have said the lens is faulty.
It your older photos don't show this fault, it usually means that the lens has taken a hard blow or the camera has been dropped. Something has likely dislodged one of the elements in the lens.

It is time to phone Canon Service and see if they can give you a guestimate as to the cost for repairs. Have the camera serial number handy as he will likely ask for it. First, check the date of purchase.
A new camera has a one year warranty by Canon.
That may or may not make a difference in your case.

Sorry!

Collapse -
Given the story I went and read user reviews.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 12, 2012 3:01 AM PST
Collapse -
My husband bought it for me last year and reviews were good!
by ESalek / November 13, 2012 12:34 AM PST

My husband bought that camera a year ago at Target so I don't think we can exchange or return it. He did some researcha nd liked the reviews. That's why I'm trying to troubleshoot the issue myself.

Collapse -
I like the answer above.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 13, 2012 12:49 AM PST

"sounds like a decentered lens"

The colors are, well, why I picked up a basic set of white balance cards to go with our new DSLR. That tackles a basic issue when we want better results.

Back to your issue. I'd go ahead and call it in and try the old line "It did this when it was 6 months old and I didn't have time then to call you." I can't read your warranty but it's worth a try.

The makers sometimes offer a refurb or some other deal at a cheaper cost than a new camera. Your choice on that but most of the time it's a good offer that I'll accept.
Bob

Collapse -
SX130
by withnail86 / May 24, 2013 10:34 AM PDT

I have the same camera and it's has the same problems - over saturated and/or washed out colours and blurring on the LH side and bottom of images. My conclusion is that it's a build quality issue, common to all these camera's. I thought about asking Canon for some help, but thought better of it and decided just to swap to a Fuji instead! Problem solved! Cool

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.