Computer Help forum

General discussion

Problem with browsers timing out

by rnedavis1 / March 21, 2006 3:46 AM PST

Hey everybody!I have an older IBM Aptiva running 98 SE and two browsers mozilla and explorer that I use to check mail and keep the miles down on my newer computer.A little background, we have roadrunner,and my new machine and my sons both have XP and run off wireless router.The older Aptiva has an ethernet cable.Thing is the older machine when its left on for an hour or two,without using it, neither the Internet Explorer or Mozilla can pull up anything.Just a window saying server not found.The only way I can surf with it then is to re-start the machine.Both of the newer XP machines have no trouble at all so my guess is it's a setting in '98 SE.Anyone have any ideas how to fix? It runs great otherwise. Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem with browsers timing out
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem with browsers timing out
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Server not found
by Cursorcowboy / March 21, 2006 8:46 PM PST

The article [Q316894], ''Part 1'' of four, describes and offers troubleshooting tips in the following areas:

a. I get a message saying ''The page cannot be displayed''.

b. Web pages don't show pictures or play sound.

c. My browser doesn't start at the page I want.

d. Web sites don't remember me.

e. Internet Explorer crashes.

f. I get a message saying ''You are not authorized to view this page''.

g. I need to view a Web page when I can't go on line.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Any tips for Firefox
by tomron / March 22, 2006 5:45 AM PST
In reply to: Server not found
Collapse -
"Only" what may be found in . . .
by Cursorcowboy / March 22, 2006 8:21 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanx, thought something in about: config would help
by tomron / March 22, 2006 8:40 PM PST
Collapse -
Thanks Cursor!
by rnedavis1 / March 22, 2006 9:09 PM PST
In reply to: Server not found

I went through and tried the different things in the article, but it still does it,both IE and Firefox.I should mention that I don't leave my browsers on, it's only after I haven't done any activity on the computer for a while, and then try to open a browser.I'm a diehard though, and I will get to the bottom of it if it kills me, and I will make sure I post what it was.Thanks to everybody who participated in the thread, and PLEASE, if you have any more ideas......... Thanks Rick Davis

Collapse -
See if ''#8'' might correct the situation.
by Cursorcowboy / March 22, 2006 10:03 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks Cursor!

1. ''How to Connect to the Internet in Windows 95 and Windows 98 (Q138789).''

2. First, Internet requests from clients sent to a Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) host may not automatically dial a connection to the Internet if the ICS host is not configured to dial automatically and the user name and password information is missing. If it is not configured properly, the ICS host receives the Internet request but does not have the means to establish the connection without user intervention, [Q236445]. Also, please review ''Description of How ICS Appears in Network Properties (Q236465)'' and ''How to Troubleshoot Internet Connection Sharing Problems (Q238135).''

3. Second, when using an asymmetric digital subscriber line (ADSL) or a digital subscriber line (DSL) to connect to the Internet and the Dial whenever a network connection is not present setting in Internet Explorer 5 is enabled, you may not be able to gain access to Internet sites. In addition, the Connect To dialog box may be displayed when starting Internet Explorer, [Q240808].

4. Third, in the Windows Millennium edition when changing the options under Connection settings in the Internet Options window, from Never dial a connection to Always dial my default connection, the setting seems to change but when trying to access the Internet, or to view the actual connection setting, it reverts back to Never dial a connection. This issue occurs when Internet Call Waiting for PC by Bell Canada has been installed, [Q275317].

5. The article [Q169514] states the Internet Connection Wizard is included in every copy of IE and a fully automated process that takes you through three important steps to set up your connection to the Internet. After completing each step, the wizard saves Internet connection information to your computer so that you will have the proper configuration for accessing the Internet in the future.

6. The article [Q272282] states that when you click the Connections tab the Dial-up settings options may be unavailable (dimmed) and you are therefore unable to select any of the listed connections. This behavior can occur regardless of the check boxes selected under Local Area Network (LAN) settings, whether or not the Automatically detect settings check box is selected, whether or not a network adapter is installed, and occurs if the EnableAutodial registry key is disabled, missing, or damaged.

Note: The symptoms caused by the above anomaly is that IE will ignore any options as stated and attempt to connect to a proxy server when you initialize a dial-up connection. In addition a proxy server may be the proxy server that you last used to access the Internet. (The article Q220902 referenced below) states that IE 5.x may appear to stop responding (hang) when opened but the animated globe in the upper-right corner of the browser window may continue to spin and you may receive a ''Detecting proxy settings...'' message in the status bar which can occur when trying to locate a proxy server:

a. Proxy Auto-Discovery is enabled by default and this feature may make it appear as if IE is not responding.

b. Your computer is on a network that includes a Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) server that does not include Web Proxy Auto-Discovery (WPAD) information in its DHCP packets. This may prevent Internet Explorer from locating a proxy server.

7. The article [Q320162] states that after you connect to the Internet and then try to start Internet Explorer, the home page may appear to stop responding for up to several minutes, or not open at all. Or, the browser itself may stop responding and must be restarted. This behavior may occur if certain versions of the Msbb.exe file (a component of the n-CASE program from 180Solutions, Inc.) is running in conjunction with certain versions of the software.

8. ''LSP-Fix'' is a free utility that may be downloaded to repair certain problems associated with Internet software when you can no longer access Web sites due to bugs in the LSP software or deletion of software. LSP-Fix repairs the Winsock LSP chain by removing the entries left behind when LSP software is removed by hand (or when errors in the software itself break the LSP chain), and removing any gaps in the chain.

9. Supplemental reading:

a. ''How to Decrease Logon Time to Internet Providers (Q130073).''

b. ''Dial-Up Networking Does Not Obtain an IP Address (Q140460).''

c. ''How to Use Winipcfg to View TCP/IP Settings (Q141698).''

d. ''How to Improve Browsing Performance in Internet Explorer (Q153790).''

e. ''Internet Explorer Cannot Open the Internet Site... (Q175722).''

f. ''How to Remove and Reinstall Dial-Up Networking and TCP/IP Files (Q181599).''

Note: IMO, should you believe that the procedures listed at step #8 is necessary, I would suggest that the switch ''ren'' be changed to ''del'' and the second word left off the procedure so that the files are deleted rather than renamed. Why rename and leave junk on the system?

g. ''Internal Error Occurred'' Error Message Using Internet Explorer (Q188952).''

h. ''Terminal Window Opens Before Dialing Dial-Up Networking Connection (Q199166).''

i. ''Internet Explorer Appears to Stop Responding When Started (Q220902).''

j. ''Error Message: The Page Cannot Be Displayed (Q241344).''

k. ''Cannot Create or Open a Dial-Up Networking Connection (Q254332).''

l. ''AutoDial Does Not Remember Password or Connect Automatically (Q255070).''

m. ''How to Prevent Automatic Dialing (Q259031).''

n. ''Internet Explorer 5 and Outlook Express 5 Stops Responding or Experiences Performance Issues (Q268113),'' when using McAfee VirusScan 4.02 or 4.03. These versions of McAfee VirusScan add an incorrect version of the Windows Imagehlp.dll file.

o. ''Client Disconnects After Five Seconds with Netscape Web Server (Q269179).''

p. ''Error Message When You Try to Use Internet Explorer: No Connection to the Internet Is Currently Available (Q303346).''

q. ''Error Message: Error 720: No PPP Control Protocols Configured (Q312840).''

Collapse -
No go Cursor
by rnedavis1 / March 23, 2006 7:07 PM PST

I downloaded and installed the fix, but the problem remained.It's got to be some quirky little bug somewhere.Virus and spyware checks, along with a full scandisk came up clean.I'm gonna keep plugging away till I get it, but thanks again for all your help!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.