Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

Problem with an abandonware system

by Blackldr2 / April 23, 2013 9:43 AM PDT

i'm having trouble getting my abandonware/legacy system. I can get the install and everything running fine to the point of the first start up when i do i get a blue screen stating : before I start I should note this is a Compaq EVO d510:

"Your multi-function device(Standard dual Pci Ide Controller) has some child devices using 32-bit drivers and some others using compatibility -mode drivers. This configuration is not supporter so your computer has been halted to prevent corruption.

After you restart your computer, Windows will use compatibility-mode drivers for each child device attache to this multi function defice. If you wan to use 32 bit drivers, you may be able to obtain an update driver for the device that caused the problem by contacting your hardware manufacturer, or you can disable the device."

The problem is I dont know the device i've taken the 2 cards out (raid card, and a graphics card, and they are not causing the trouble. I've gone and reset the BIOS and looked at other problems, but nothing is working. I got this system and added a new hard drive and ram, but i have accounted for everything i can think of.... please tell me what is causing the trouble

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem with an abandonware system
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem with an abandonware system
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I remember this message.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 23, 2013 10:42 AM PDT

I had to edit the CONFIG.SYS to remark out the real mode drivers. I don't consider that being abandoned as nothing changed from the days it was supported. That is, we were expected to know about config.sys, autoexec.bat and more.

Do you remember that Apple commercial poking fun at PC users about that?
Bob

Collapse -
my config.sys
by Blackldr2 / April 23, 2013 11:28 AM PDT

onlything in it is device=C:\windows\setver.exe

what should i have in there you think?

Collapse -
I think more needs to be told.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 23, 2013 12:25 PM PDT
In reply to: my config.sys
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?cc=us&prodNameId=97130&prodSeriesId=316517&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1093 gives me a clue this didn't support Windows 98.

It could be as simple as it has too much RAM.

You have a good point here. That is, nothing has changed in respect to the old OSes. Back then we were expected to know a lot more than we expect folk to learn today. So if we step into an old OS we are expected to know all that we had to know in 1999 or prior.

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/compaq-evo-d510/4505-3118_7-20091350.html notes Windows 2000 and XP.

So you are on an unsupported OS so you will encounter issues. Is there a reason for this 98 install? At the office we have one lone app and we run it in Virtual Box.
Bob
Collapse -
reason for the OS
by Blackldr2 / April 24, 2013 3:30 AM PDT

i have been wanting to run a true version of 95/98 for some of the older games i played (Mechwarrior 2, Original X-com, etc) I dont want to have to try and run it on a VMachinge( which i have tried and 98 crashed 2 times for me. I like working on hardware that and trying to see what i can do to fix it.

My biggest accomplishment is when i can get a new machine to run on an older system. kind of like steampunk a computer, which would be really cool

Collapse -
Answer
Let's recap.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 23, 2013 7:53 PM PDT

I had hoped to read more from you but let's recap. The machine seems to not have support for 98 as I didn't see 98 drivers for it.

As I don't own this machine I can't see what RAM it has but beyond your machine driver issues, there is a way around all this. Just install XP which is supported and then go get Virtual Box to install Windows 98 in that and most apps will work in Virtual Box.
Bob

Collapse -
ram issue
by Blackldr2 / April 24, 2013 2:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Let's recap.

I already fixed the ram issue by editing the system.ini
that was fixed because i got the insufficient memory error
I dont think this would be caused by that.

Also i dont really want a virtual machine. I tried one on my win 7 system and it kept crashing on the VM

Collapse -
Then what's next.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 24, 2013 3:40 AM PDT
In reply to: ram issue

You are now into driver hunt mode. I don't see drivers at hp for this OS for this machine so you'll have to do the old hunts the old fashioned way.

I can't do this for you but can ask if you installed the chipset driver from intel for the intel chipset in this box?

As to the too much memory issue, I found the edit you mentioned to fail as drivers didn't expect that much ram and you are back to unplugging sticks of ram.

Again, this is all stuff we were expected to know back in pre-XP days. I think it's very hard on folk that were users in a state of bliss.
Bob

Collapse -
updating drivers
by Blackldr2 / April 24, 2013 4:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Then what's next.

This is on the initial install. I got around the memory issue which did work i think. this error keeps stating the Standard dual Pci Ide Controller I figured this was beyond the memory issue i pulled out the video card and used the onboard video but that still didnt work. I havent had a change to install any of the drivers since this is on the initial boot.

Collapse -
That's exactly a message we expected back then.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 24, 2013 4:23 AM PDT
In reply to: updating drivers

The stock 98 driver is good enough to work but is as expected coughing up errors until you find a good driver.

I thought you were an old hand at 98 and dropped many subtle hints about the days of old but let's try one more time.

Did you head to intel.com to forage/hunt/capture a Windows 98 driver for this chipset then read how to install and then install it?
Bob

Collapse -
old hand
by Blackldr2 / April 24, 2013 6:18 AM PDT

I have been working on win 98 from the start. i learned most of when i was in college. I am now a little more aged, and know win 98 pretty well. I haven't found anything obviously the computer was made for win 2000 and xp i was just hoping that maybe i could use it as a 98 machine.

Collapse -
And let's make the question only this post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 24, 2013 7:00 AM PDT
In reply to: old hand

Did you go to intel.com and look for the driver for this machine's chipset and OS?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.