Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Problem - Windows XP updates will downlaod but not install

by Greatwazoo42 / December 22, 2007 11:00 PM PST

I performed a nearly full hardware upgrade on my PC some months back. Almost everything except the case and the floppy drive got updated with new equipment. Instead of doing a clean install on the new HD and then moving all the data over one piece at a time I used a program to duplicate my old HD completely onto the new and larger one. The old HD was set a the C: Drive and the new one temporarily was designated D:. After all the data was transferred over I verified the PC worked and then hooked it up to the web to run updates to XP and any associated programs. The updates downloaded but failed to install.

Some investigation showed the new HD was still designated D: even though the old original had been removed already. I changed the drive letter to C: and tried again. Again the updates would only download and not install. Also, during this process, all the old updates to the OS seem to have vanished. I?m now pending 87 updates and they will not install on the PC.

How do I resolve this?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem - Windows XP updates will downlaod but not install
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem - Windows XP updates will downlaod but not install
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is the new hard disk set as a master?
by Kees Bakker / December 22, 2007 11:13 PM PST

Not clear from your post.

And why not do a clean install? Most of the time, it's necessary if you install a new motherboard.

Kees

Collapse -
The Master it is.
by Greatwazoo42 / December 22, 2007 11:22 PM PST

It's set for master and is currently the only HD in the unit (the original is sitting in a box in the closet).

I opted to try cloning the old drive since the new one came formatted and blank. The thinking (or lack there of) was that the OS would be cloned directly from the old drive so no need to install it only to over write it.

Collapse -
Have you activated this new setup?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 23, 2007 2:32 AM PST
In reply to: The Master it is.

With such extensive changes to hardware I would expect XP to require activation again.

Mark

Collapse -
Nope
by Greatwazoo42 / December 23, 2007 6:26 AM PST

Nope. It didn't ask to be reactivated.

Collapse -
Same problem
by mutualin4mation / December 23, 2007 9:42 AM PST

That has happened to me as well although I haven't upgraded or anything. The only way I have found to circumvent it is to ignore automatic updates all together and go to the upgrades section of windows downloads and download each one individually and manually install them

Collapse -
Just gave that a go....
by Greatwazoo42 / December 23, 2007 10:10 PM PST
In reply to: Same problem

No luck. I wonder if there's some way to blow out the folder that has the files downloaded or if I need to mod part of the registry to get it to work?

Collapse -
Try this
by PudgyOne / December 26, 2007 5:49 PM PST

Go here and see if it works

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/

fix any issues, then validate it.

If it still doesn't work try this

Re-register the Windows Update DLL with the commands below
Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
Type the following commands. Press ENTER after each command.
regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wups2.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Attempt to run Windows Update

Now what do you get?

Rick

Collapse -
Reply to Rick (PudgyOne)
by Greatwazoo42 / December 27, 2007 11:53 AM PST
In reply to: Try this

IT WORKED!!! IT WORKED IT WORKED IT WORKED!!! WOOOHOOO!!!

Thanks Rick!

Collapse -
Glad you got it fixed
by PudgyOne / December 27, 2007 1:16 PM PST

Thanks for posting back.

Rick

Collapse -
THANKS!!!
by carey_m / January 2, 2008 5:19 AM PST

Thanks for your help! It worked.

Mo

Collapse -
Thank U very much.............!
by kivi226 / January 7, 2008 10:19 PM PST

It worked for me too. I was very frustrated with the updates problem and your post helped me resolve it. Re-registering with the windows dll commands helped me.

thank you Rick.

I als want to describe my problem in detail in case someone has similar situation.

I have a Dell Dual core with 80gb HD with Xp Home. I then bought a 400gb HD and using the software that came with the new HD, I transferred all the contents of the old HD to the new HD INCLUDING THE OS AND THE SETTINGS. Then I set the new HD as my primary boot sequence and disabled and removed the 80gb. Everything worked fine.
Then I bought XP professional Upgrade and upgraded to Professional, that also worked fine.

My problem started when the Auto Update downloaded the updates and then I clicked on that icon on my task bar. After a few minutes I got this pop up window that said, "the following updates were not installed" and a long list of 30 UPDATES.

I came the Cnet Forums and started reading and then enabled "show hidden updates" option on the "auto updates set up window" and tried several other options. Still updates did not work.

finally Rick's suggestion of re-registering the Dll's helped. Success.
-;)

Collapse -
Windows XP: Problem - Windows XP updates will downlaod but n
by gmternes / January 12, 2008 10:43 AM PST

Your are the greatest!! I too upgraded my motherboard to an ABIT IP35 Pro. Spend a better part of the day trying to get updates to install. I was truly between a rock and a hard spot. Thanks again for the superb technical information, straight forward and easy to understand.

Glen

Collapse -
Thank-you Rick :)
by indianna / January 16, 2008 8:26 PM PST

Hello Rick,
This windows updating problem was such a major headache for me and you fixed it in minutes with your clear and easy(what I need)instructions. I just wanted to express my gratitude to you. You saved me doing a fresh install. You're THE BEST! Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you. Loads of kisses from me XXXXXXXXX Happy
Em.

Collapse -
Amazing - That fixed it
by gene_ca / January 23, 2008 1:24 AM PST

Thanks so much for the help. I have been trying to find a solution for a couple weeks. The re-registration thing fixed the problem. Any idea what caused the problem and how did you come up with the fix?

Collapse -
Fixed mine too!
by K-Havenor / May 8, 2008 9:07 AM PDT

Thanks a bunch. I have had the problem since doing an XP-2p2 repair 2 weeks ago! I had 91 critical updates plus SP3 that would not install. They are doing it right now.

Collapse -
It worked
by daycom / January 30, 2008 8:01 PM PST

Thanks very much for the list of DLLs to re-register and instructions - after searching for this problem I found this thread on CNET - ran your suggestion and what was a baffling and frustrating problem was solved right away. Thanks again.

Collapse -
Windows updates download but will not install
by aznhalfbreed / February 7, 2008 1:52 AM PST

Go here and see if it works

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/

fix any issues, then validate it.

If it still doesn't work try this

Re-register the Windows Update DLL with the commands below
Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
Type the following commands. Press ENTER after each command.
regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wups2.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Attempt to run Windows Update

Now what do you get?

AMAZING WHAT THE COMMAND PROMPT CAN DO

FIXED ISSUE NO PROBLEM

Collapse -
Fix was already posted
by PudgyOne / February 7, 2008 5:59 AM PST

if you read the full post.

PudgyOne and tallin have the fix. The person has to choose what works.

Rick

Collapse -
Win Updates will not insatll
by Big Pete Suth / May 6, 2008 10:14 PM PDT

You are the saviour! - My system is now up to date.
Your fix works!

Collapse -
videos will not play correctly
by pwag68 / June 16, 2008 4:36 AM PDT

I use Windows XP with service pack 2
I use Firefox and IE as browsers. On a site with a business tour using Firefox when I get to a place to play a video Firefox closes.

In IE one of the videos is really slow, jerky and the sound of course is also jerkey. Other people don't seem to have this problem with the same video.

Collapse -
thank you!!
by pwag68 / June 16, 2008 4:46 AM PDT

I just fixed my update problem with your suggestions. Thank you.
Now if you could just tell me what to do to be able to play a video on a business site that runs really slow and jerky.

I use Windows XP service pack 2 I use Firefox and IE

thank you very much!

Collapse -
My suggestion is...
by PudgyOne / June 16, 2008 5:05 AM PDT
In reply to: thank you!!
Collapse -
I tried most of your suggestions
by pwag68 / June 25, 2008 5:09 AM PDT
In reply to: My suggestion is...

So far the videos haven't improved. Should I change back to IE6--you mentioned you didn't have IE7, are there problems with that?

Thanks!
Patty

Collapse -
"video on a business site that runs really slow and jerky."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2008 5:12 AM PDT
Collapse -
thanx
by abualjim70th / June 24, 2008 7:47 PM PDT

Rick..you dont know me but you helped me fix my windows update problems..thanx to you very much for being here

Collapse -
oops
by t26l / July 2, 2008 5:17 AM PDT

I am so sorry - PudgyOne this is. I don't know what the heck I was reading. Shame on me!

Collapse -
A Genius
by Sailorski / July 26, 2008 8:18 PM PDT

Rick, my very sincere thanks! I had spent hours trying to get the updates to install on an absolutely clean install of XP Pro from the original discs. I have had computers since 1982 and have even programmed but this defeated everything until I saw your cure.

Two questions:

1. How can there be a "standard" fault like this on a perfectly straightforward update - it was SP3 that caused it. Does MS know about it or do they do care?

2. How can you know such a very difficult "cure"? Are you a very advanced programmer?

In any case, my thanks again - the laptop was in serious danger of being thrown out of the window and thanks you too!

Thomas

Collapse -
For some reason
by PudgyOne / July 27, 2008 2:14 AM PDT
In reply to: A Genius

Windows update dlls don't re-register after a repair or a clean install. I had this problem about 2 or 3 years ago. Had to search high and low for a way to fix it. It's more common today that people are using it more and more. I have quite a few posts with this solution and you'd be surprised, I subscribe to the posts and I get many thanks.

I should take time to thank everyone for thanking me. I am sometimes too busy but I'm just glad everyone got their computer working.

Rick

Collapse -
Thanks!!!
by carey_m / July 27, 2008 10:39 AM PDT
In reply to: For some reason

Thanks Rick, your suggestion solved my problem also. I couldn't install updates after I upgraded to sp3.

Morris

Collapse -
please help
by aliasgar100 / August 16, 2008 5:20 PM PDT

Hey Rick,
Impressed by all the testimonial you got, i tried out the dll but when i enter commands it say "regsvr32wuapi.dll" is not recongnised as an internal or external command, operable command or batch file. Please help... I cannot update win xp or ms office. win xp is on c drive and ms office on the d partition.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.