Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

Problem uploading large files.

by rondvorak / March 19, 2013 11:38 AM PDT

I have a client that wants to allow his customers to upload large files to his website. The web host has a file upload limit of 64 MB. What are my options for providing my client a way to upload large files?

Also, the current upload function is slow and only provides progress information for chrome. Improving on that would be a bonus.

Thank you

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem uploading large files.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem uploading large files.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
If the limit is enforced
by Sovereign Forum moderator / March 19, 2013 2:12 PM PDT

at the web host level, you will either need to talk to your web host to increase the limit or find another web host.

If it was a PHP limitation, you could increase max_upload_size and post_max_size, if it was a limitation in the CMS, I'm sure there's a configuration file that allows you to extend it, but if the web host places this limit, then you're out of luck.

A virtual private server might be the way to go or use a file sharing service.

In terms of progress bar for uploading, take a look at Plupload or Uploadify.

Collapse -
by arncus1 / April 26, 2013 4:09 AM PDT

Hi Rondvorak,

I can understand the frustrations with working with a hosting provider that limits the file uploads - quite often these are smaller individual hosting companies either have a very limited server (many are simply re-selling from another hosting company).

I was poking around with my Dropbox account recently, and found that they can actually provide a link on the folder. Mind you, this would mean the customer has to use the Drop-box interface, but by default it's already STARTING at 2 GB. Plus, it's not on the hosting provider's server (a big plus for them) - and it doesn't bog down their server when processing the file. So...this might an answer you want to consider. Check it out, at least it starts free and expands to 18 GB (500 MB per referral). I think the lowest paid option is something like $120/year for 100 GB.

Have a great day!

Arnel C.
Web Hosting Hub
Community Support

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.