Storage forum

Resolved Question

Problem recovering disks

by tomg35 / August 14, 2013 4:38 AM PDT

I'm in the process of recovering a number of old hard drives, that I have accumulated. I'm using a ICY Box docking station.
I'm having problems with two drives.

One is a Seagate barracuda 7200.12 and the other a Western digital WD400.

When I plug in the barracuda into the icy box you can hear the drive start to spin and the ICY Box appears in device manager but not in my computer.

When I plug in the Western digital, the icy box again appears in device manage, but in my computer it appears as a removable drive (but the disk isn't detected).

According to the (very brief) manual that came with the ICY Box, this can happen if the drives are not windows formatted. This is definitely true of the barracuda as it came from a netgear duo NAS, but I'm sure that the other drive came from an old windows machine.

Is there another way that I can recover these drives?

I only have access to a laptop so cannot insert the drives into that. I have asked a couple of people if I can plug into their desktops but they are unwilling as I'm not 100% sure of the process.

Any suggestions for a simple solution?
Thanks

tomg35 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem recovering disks
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem recovering disks
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by tomg35

Collapse -
Do you have any USB to HDD adapters?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 14, 2013 4:44 AM PDT

I own a couple which I find indespensible for this work. I also use the tools noted in the Lost and Found post at the top of this forum.

Can I be blunt? If yes, then you need the tools.
Bob

Collapse -
Blunt is quicker
by tomg35 / August 14, 2013 6:10 AM PDT

Thanks I'll look for some

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.