Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

problem opening word 2000

by doughboy / November 11, 2007 2:30 AM PST

I'm running Windows XP Home. I have 512 Ram, 2.53 processor, 80 gb hard drive. Word 2000 won't open. I get an hourglass and it freezes. Does anyone have a suggestion. Thank you.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: problem opening word 2000
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: problem opening word 2000
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
just word ?
by v_2vinch / November 11, 2007 2:33 AM PST

is it just word ?? or all the office products ??

vc

Collapse -
word
by doughboy / November 11, 2007 4:04 AM PST
In reply to: just word ?

just word

Collapse -
running word in safe mode ...
by v_2vinch / November 11, 2007 12:53 PM PST
In reply to: word

Because Word loads the registry data key, the Normal.dot template, and any other add-ins or templates located in the Office startup folder, the source of your problem will not be immediately apparent. To find out if the problem likes with any of the aforementioned components of Word, follow these steps to start Word in safe mode:

1. Select Run from the Windows Start menu

2. Type winword.exe /a (you must insert the space before the /a; also, you may need to type the entire file path or use the Browse button to locate the file)

3. Click OK

If Word starts okay, then the problem lies in either the registry data key or something located in the Office startup folder.

vc

Collapse -
word
by doughboy / November 11, 2007 1:42 PM PST

Ok i did that and word opened along with a user box it had owner and 0 and i still couldent open anything when i tried word just froze please help

Collapse -
safemode of windows xp
by v_2vinch / November 11, 2007 1:52 PM PST
In reply to: word

try opening word in safemode of windows xp...

restart the computer and when you see the boot screen...tap f8 key.

this should get you to windows advanced options menu .... look for an option called safe mode .... select that (your mouse wont work, use the keyboard). and once you get the user screen, select your user and get into the desktop.

try opening word and see what happens.

and an other thing ... has it ever been working before ? i mean word...has it ever been working properly ??

Collapse -
word trobles
by doughboy / November 11, 2007 10:53 PM PST
In reply to: safemode of windows xp

yes it was working fine a few days ago i went to open word and the word logo opens then freezes

Collapse -
running word in safe mode ...
by TomST2 / March 27, 2010 12:14 PM PDT

VC,

Typing winword.exe la at RUN worked! Is this the workaround I'll need to use going forward, or is there a fix that will allow me to click on the Word icon to open the application?

TomT

Collapse -
Has the usual cure been tried?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 11, 2007 11:02 PM PST

Delete or rename your NORMAL.DOT files.

I decline to write at any length about this but you can google why this is so.

Bob

Collapse -
Did You Ever Resolve Your Problem With Word Not Opening?
by Jordan Skylar / July 21, 2008 10:59 AM PDT

I cannot open Word at all. I was reading your thread and have already tried finding and deleting the normal.dot file. That didn't work.

What did you finally do to get Word operating correctly?

Thanks!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.