Windows Vista forum

Question

Problem: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum

by Sonoma95476 / July 23, 2011 4:34 AM PDT

In attempting to reinstall the software for an HP 5610 All-in-One, I receive an error advising that keys for slbcsp.dll, sccbase.dll, gpkcsp.dll and Enum were missing or unavailable to the installer. Using regedit, I added the keys for the three .dll files, and found that the Enum already existed. I still get an error telling me that HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum registry key is missing or unavailable to the installer. I have double-checked the registry using regedit and in fact this key is there. Any suggestions? My Windows updates are current. I am using the Vista 32-bit OS. Thanks for any help.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Besides it being there, how about the owner and permissions?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 23, 2011 5:22 AM PDT

It's a shame when it doesn't work right and we have to check owner and permissions on registry keys.
Bob

Collapse -
Owner and permissions?

Thanks, Bob, for your quick reply. I am the administrator for this computer. Is there something I'm missing here in terms of ownership and permissions? Shouldn't I have that as the computer administrator?
Cindy

Collapse -
Sadly no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 23, 2011 1:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Owner and permissions?

The administrator must obey rights as well. Let's see if google helps us on that key.

"Access the registry and scroll to the following key.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/ENUM. Right click on
ENUM and select permissions. Make sure system has full control
permissions. Everyone will be listed also, but will only have read
permissions."

Bingo. Notice that YOU do not have permissions? And did you notice this is proper?

Let's hope no registry cleaners have been near this machine.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Acces Denied
by Mageoftheforest / August 6, 2011 8:37 PM PDT

I got the same problem, also installed the 3 dll-files, but still the installation program is saying ,,The installer does not have access to this registry value. Make sure the installer has access to the registry key and click Retry to continue installation
registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum"
(translated it from dutch)

I am running Windows 7 32bit

Collapse -
Sadly.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 7, 2011 1:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Acces Denied

You provided the symptom and no story about what driver or how you caused this message.

Read above to find out that you are not supposed to have permission or access to this key.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Protected Reg Key
by Jiriki / February 3, 2014 3:48 AM PST

This is an old thread, but I'm working on manually removing printers in Win8 and came across this.

The ...\Enum\ key is a system protected key. Not even the local Administrator can change... only the built-in System account can affect keys in this section.

1. for me its a problem because Win8 appearantly changes (adds to) the number of registry keys used in defining a local printer, a key being in this section. So to delete, I have to ensure that I'm running my script as SYSTEM

This is a VERY dangerous action if you are not extremely detailed in what you are doing. Enumeration of devices from various bits of data to Queue, Dev Instances and HWID's are pretty integrated in how Windows handles everything from USB to other types of devices. Often these GUID (e.g. "{1ed2bbf9-11f0-4084-b21f-ad83a8e6dcdc}") are dynamic, so once lost/changed... if every other reference to it are not changed/removed in the registry, you can leave your system in a 'bad state'. If certain keys are deleted, the mapping from say a QueueInstanceID to a HWID can be lost and no way to figure out how to 'associate' those keys again (like an index or rosetta stone type analogy).

That being said, if you have a program that is being stubborn and you want to see if removing a reg key normally not accessible as the source of the problem, you can use a free utility from Microsoft (now, was bought out from a private guru) called PSEXEC, part of the Systernals suite.

An example is Symantec Antivirus Corp. Edition... a version of the installer (can't remember when) back in 2002 did not properly set priveleges registery entries on keys it created. During the normal uninstaller, you would get so far before the uninstaller failed. Luckily in the Windows Event log it specified exactly what key failed with an access denied error. I had to manually delete this key... in XP you just took ownership and set rights to full, but in Vista(this was pre Win7 deployment for us) you had to grant administrators full rights or delete the key as the System account.

The tedious problem was there were like 30 - 40 keys improperly set this way and the Event log only showed the last key the uninstaller failed on, so I had to reset the permissions on said key, re-run the uninstaller, let it error out again then check for the listing in the event log... reset that key... and repeat until the uninstaller fully completed.

My guess is that your problem is similar to the Symantec one I encountered. Granted, a 3yr old thread, you've moved on by now... but just in case someone stumbles across this thread like I just did (2014) I figured I'd add some info to it.

Collapse -
Corp. Edition ?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 3, 2014 4:10 AM PST
In reply to: Protected Reg Key

That's quite an odd thing to encounter today. That is in a non-corporate setting. Anyone that uses such has some deep pockets and IT today. I have encountered corporate versions on home PCs but most of the time the source was some torrent so it's a sure bet there would be troubles later.

HOWEVER what about NTPASSWD, the off line registry editor?
Bob

Collapse -
by Jiriki / February 3, 2014 7:56 AM PST
In reply to: Corp. Edition ?

? not sure what you mean odd... SEP is the Corp. Edition of NAV, been around a long time. Corp editions usually are pricier, although you can get SEP 5pk pretty cheap, but not as cheap as NAV... the difference is quite a bit though if you are managing. Symantec seemd to resolved it by the next Build edition of the installer, but that didn't fix all the clients that had used the previous installer. Do a lookup of manually uninstalling SEP (prob. v2010 or lower) for more details on what they gave as a solution at that time.

... eitherway that is all irrelevant, the point being was that an installer incorrectly set user priv's on registry entry so that when using the uninstaller, the delete commands for those keys were ran as the local user or elevated and not the SYSTEM account which obviously the installer had... and in that case (no access to a given registry entry) it can be bypassed easily by using PSExec. I simply wonder if that was the problem in OP's case with the HP Installer... that or something similar that corrupted the ACL's on specific entries.

I would assume any program that can mount and edit a registry hive removed from that hive's host OS would be able to bypass any ACL's set, just like mounting an NTFS volume on any other system that can read NTFS can (although you may want to be careful as if the offline program changes those ACL's, that can impact the host OS... I don't know if the registry works like an NTFS drive with regards to ACL's and thus if bypassing can be done with or without preserving the original ACL's.)

PSExec, kind've a good summary here http://www.hanselman.com/blog/HowToREALLYHurtYourselfWithPSEXECDeletingTheUndeletableRegistryKeyAndMore.aspx, allows you to 'runas' the System account on a live system... i.e. run Regedit.exe as Built-In\System so it eliviates the need to booting to an alt. OS. Any program that mimic's that functionality would work as well, I'm just only aware of this one.

Collapse -
I mean really really odd.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 3, 2014 8:36 AM PST
In reply to: ...

Corp versions come with really nice support. Far better than the carp that is doled out to the rest.

And yes to your thought about ACLs, NTFS and the registry. All have the same idea.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.