Photo Editing & Graphic Design forum

Question

Problem downloading QuickTime program

by Kisoro / February 23, 2013 7:50 PM PST

Windows XP, Service Pack 3,

I want to download QuickTime 7 so that I might be able to save photos from my Olympus camera.

I have had QuickTime 6 partially downloaded for quite some time, but it never functioned due to a "Fatal Error" during installation.

I have tried removing it in Add/Remove (It's still shown in the list, although it no longer responds to a click), the icon has disappeared from the Desktop and it doesn't appear in the Registry Editor software list.

However, when I initiate the QuickTime 7 download it progresses so far and then an error message flashes up to say that it cannot proceed any further with the installation.

The error report lists two descriptions:

C:\DOCUME~1\CHRIST~1\LOCALS~1\TEMP\WER6541.dir00\QuickTimePlayer.exe.mdp

And all the above again up to dir00, followed by \appcompat.txt

Can anyone help me with this?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem downloading QuickTime program
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem downloading QuickTime program
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Somethings off here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2013 11:14 PM PST

I've never had to do that to save from a camera. ALL and I mean ALL cameras with memory cards put the pictures in files that we can copy off the card and bingo, it's saved.

Somethings amiss here but I don't see it.
Bob

Collapse -
Problem downloading Quicktime program
by Kisoro / February 27, 2013 1:06 AM PST
In reply to: Somethings off here.

I think I should have perhaps posed my question in the computer technology section?

I've gone through the full rigmarole again of trying to transfer my photos to my computer to ensure I've gone through the correct procedures. Essentially nothing happens when I connect my camera to the USB port. And when I insert the card into a USB stick again nothing happens. I don't get any messages recognising my camera or the card.

In My Computer, when I click on the camera icon (plus model indentification etc) a message pops up saying The properties for this item are not available. When I click on the scanner and camera wizard in Control Panel, I get a message saying - This computer cannot detect the scanner or camera.Please make sure the device is turned on and is properly connected to the computer (which I do. and is).

When I click on the camera entry under Add/Remove programs, I get a message saying - The properties for this device are not available. And soon after a window pops up telling me to install QiuickTime 6 or greater.

When I contacted Olympus about the problem originally, they told me to uninstall and install Quicktime. But Quicktime refuses to uninstall or Repair and a window pops up saying Fatal Error during installation.

When I looked in the Registry Editor originally, I was looking for QuickTime and of course didn't find it and assumed I had removed it .However the details are still there, under Apple Mac inc, and presumably the two error notices could be resolved in there?

My camera is an Olympus Camedia C-770 which has the facility to record a video which I presume is where QuickTime comes in? I wonder why though the computer won't recognise my camera and yet displays details of it?

Collapse -
Yes, it sounds like a PC issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2013 1:14 AM PST

Take the card and try it on another PC. Something's off and I understand that folk want the camera maker to fix what ever is amiss on the PC but they don't.

If you are having USB port issues a quick thing I try when I want to avoid charging the client for a full repair is to use the rear USB ports on the desktop. I can't tell what PC this is but try the other ports.

Also, I never have to use Quicktime as VLC PLAYER can play almost all those clips.
Bob

Collapse -
Problem downloading quicktime problem
by Kisoro / February 27, 2013 5:01 PM PST

Thank you very much for your advice which I will apply. I have 4 USB slots at the back of my PC and I now remember that some time ago only one seemed to work for any one particular application and I would have to try each in turn. This is something I never enjoy doing because I have to get down onto the floor (two knee ops pending!), wriggle through a snake pit of cables under the desk, peer round the back to find a slot to test and then figure out how I'm going to get myself upright again without leaning on my left arm (recent shoulder replacement). All this four times. I wonder why the manufacturers don't put some slots on the front of the PC?

Collapse -
Re: USB on front
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 27, 2013 5:05 PM PST

Some do, some don't. If it's important for you, you have a perfect selection criterion for your new PC.

But using a (powered or non-powered) USB hub lets you use your backside slots on the frontside of the PC. Or simply use 4 extension cables to a place you can reach more easily.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.