Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Problem deleting files

by klobberintime / December 30, 2007 4:54 PM PST

I cut some files from the recycle bin and copied them to another directory and now I can't delete them. I've rebooted and tried a number of deletion programs but I continually get an "Access Denied" message and am still unable to delete the files. Any help would be appreciated!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem deleting files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem deleting files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Couple of ideas.
by strickjh2005 / December 30, 2007 5:14 PM PST
In reply to: Problem deleting files

Get into safe mode
alt click> properties, Uncheck read only.
Change the file name and extension
Try Shift+Delete to skip the recycle bin.

Collapse -
by klobberintime / January 5, 2008 5:19 PM PST
In reply to: Couple of ideas.

The files aren't read only, and I can't rename them because when I try to access the files in any fashion I receive the "Access Denied" error. Skipping the recycling bin won't achieve anything either, as I can't delete the files in the first place, recycle bin or not.

Collapse -
by tomron / January 5, 2008 11:41 PM PST
In reply to: ty
Collapse -
I Just Used Move on Boot for 1ST Time
by tobeach / January 6, 2008 2:33 PM PST
In reply to: klobberintime

this week (altho I had had a copy in "storage" in My Docs) and it worked like a charm. Grin

Collapse -
(NT) Sounds good :)
by tomron / January 7, 2008 6:10 AM PST
Collapse -
by klobberintime / January 8, 2008 4:43 PM PST
In reply to: klobberintime

Thanks for the suggestion but that program gives me the same error I get when I try to move or delete the folder that I want to delete. I selected it with the program and MoveOnBoot said it could not complete its operation because "Access is Denied"

It may be useful to note that I cut the folders from the recycling bin and when I pasted them into the new folder Windows explorer denotes that the folders are empty. When I deleted them, they were not, which is what leads me to believe it is some kind of recycling bin bug.

Collapse -
If that's the case, then have a look at your Recycler
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 8, 2008 6:59 PM PST
In reply to: ty

I think this problem started when you "cut" files from the Recycle Bin and pasted them to a different folder instead of restoring them from the Recycle Bin to their original folder then moving them from there. The Recycle Bin is an unusual utility in that it isn't really a location, (like a folder). Any files sent to the Recycle Bin are not deleted, but the file information is stored there until the bin is emptied. That's when the files themselves are deleted.

I'm not sure how to get round this, but there is a hidden system folder called "Recycler", which may help you. You will need to use Windows Explorer for this, (note I said Windows Explorer and not Internet Explorer), from Start > All Programs > Accessories > Windows Explorer.

What is displayed is a window with a left pane that lists all locations on your system and a right pane that displays files and sub-folders within any highlighted location in the left pane. The left pane has + and - signs to expand or contract locations.

If there is a + sign next to My Computer click that, then click the + sign next to "Local Disk (C: )".

You next need to display hidden system files. Goto Tools > Folder Options then click the "View" tab. Select, "Show hidden files and folders", then scroll down and de-select "Hide protected operating system files, (recommended)". Whilst you are there I would also de-select "Hide extensions for known file types" if that is selected.

Click Apply then OK. Now, in Windows Explorer in the left hand pane a new folder will appear called "RECYCLER". Highlight that, and in the right hand pane you may see one or two, or more, faint folders. Click or double click these to display the contents. Typically there is one sub-folder for each drive or partition installed on the computer.

You can either delete the contents themselves or delete the Recycler folder itself. If you delete the Recycler folder it will be re-created when you next reboot the computer.

See if that works. It may break the connection between those files you cannot delete and the Recycle Bin.

If you get an Access Denied message, are you running Norton's software, or any other anti-virus which protects the Recycle Bin? If not, try "Taking Ownership" of those files you want to delete by following the guidance here.

Some other resources that may help are here;

I hope that helps.

PS, remember to re-select the folder option to hide system protected files. The others can remain as they are.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.