Windows Legacy OS forum

Problem Connecting to network computer

by jgw0 / January 30, 2013 6:57 AM PST

II have a little peer to peer network with 4 other computers on it. I can access all the other computers but one. That one cannot be accessed unless I first run Advanced Lan Scanner which finds it just fine. After that it can be accessed.

This is odd in that I can access that computer from others with no problem so I suspect this machine. Its very mysterious.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem Connecting to network computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem Connecting to network computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Too many unknowns.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2013 7:05 AM PST

We know this happens over WiFi but that detail is not here. We also know there are issues with "XP" but so few run that but have XP SP1 to SP3 so that detail is missing. There are other issues with XP Home and the connection of FIVE that get gobbled up with ease.

Which there was a single answer but as it stands this could be some out of date XP, the old WiFi issue or just an ethernet adapter that is set to go to sleep when not needed.

Collapse -
network problems
by jgw0 / January 30, 2013 12:53 PM PST
In reply to: Too many unknowns.

I have xp pro sp3. I mis-spoke about the number on the net, its actually 4 and there are usually only 2 on at a time. One machine is a linux machine and even that one can connect to the other 3. I only have trouble making connection on one machine and it can only not get into a single machine. That single machine can access all machines but the one that cannot access it (until I run the lan access program). Its truly bizarre.

Thanks for the reply - I will just keep fighting it.

Collapse -
Ok that helps a lot. XP Pro SP3 gets 10 connections.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2013 1:38 PM PST
In reply to: network problems

So that's not it. If there is a connect by NAME then you have to figure out how name resolution is being handled in this LAN.

The clue is your scanning software. It could be forcing the name server to get up to date. Try to connect by IP next time or open a command line and use the NET VIEW command.

All this over WiFi can have us looking at the router. Your post added a little detail but not enough for me to narrow it down.

Collapse -
network problem
by jgw0 / January 31, 2013 7:57 AM PST

Thanks, again, for the reply!

I have a wired connection to the network, not wifi. Those with wireless connections are working just fine. The machine I am trying to connect to, however, is connected to the network by wireless and is accessable by every other machine on the network but this one. I should also mention that I also cannot ping the offending machine, until I run the LAN scanner. I am convinced that my problem resides with this machine as its the only one that cannot access the machine in question.

Here are the results of ipconfig /all:
Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : me
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . .
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-19-D1-69-4D-99
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . :
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . :
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, January 31, 2013 10:34:08 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, February 01, 2013 10:34:0

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 8: (VPN)
Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TAP-Win32 Adapter V9 #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-FF-7C-E2-0C-19

Collapse -
See that DNS?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2013 8:45 AM PST
In reply to: network problem

It looks like the usual router. So a router rarely holds the names of the server. This means you have to be the IT GURU and know how the name is resolved or use the IP instead.

After all that I have to take your word that it does connect after the scan. In this reply you didn't write that but the story changed a little.

You also have account issues but I let that slide for now.

Collapse -
network problem
by jgw0 / January 31, 2013 2:28 PM PST
In reply to: See that DNS?

Thanks for the reply.

I understand the name/ip thing. Just thought I would tell you how it worked. The lan scan was done by advanced lan scan, I tried a couple of these and this one worked. I think it logs in although I had to be logged in to access other machines on the net. As I previously said, once the lan scan is completed everything works just dandy. Oh, but not forever. I suspect that the signal from the good machine is, somehow, not recognized until the scan sends a login of some sort. It remains a mystery.

I have what kind of account problem?

Collapse -
I didn't write it was an account problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 1, 2013 12:20 AM PST

I wrote I let that slide since it works after the lan scan.

That lan scan could be triggering an update to the windows name cache.

I didn't want to ask why you didn't put this into the hosts file since it's likely your system is pure DHCP without address reservation. If you reserve addresses in the router which looks to be your DHCP server then you could fix it with an entry in the hosts file.

This is basic IT networking stuff so I don't detail what the hosts file does.

Collapse -
network problem
by jgw0 / February 1, 2013 8:13 AM PST

I thank you for the help. Its mysterious but I can live with it. I have been at this stuff for well over 40 years and am used to it (build, program, etc). When it tries to access the specific machine it can't even find the network. It doesn't tell me it can't find the machine it tells me that it can't find the network. On the other hand I can goto my linux machine and IT finds it! The other thing is that this system never used to have a problem so I have obviously done something clever.

Oh, well - thanks again for the help. during all of this I did find some kinda neat and keen programs. One I liked was internet repair. Simply and straight forward. I figure I would play with that one over the week end. I have no problems with my internet but, sometimes, simply cannot resist <g>

Collapse -
It's not a real mystery.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 1, 2013 8:19 AM PST

Windows networking and name resolution is something that's been around since WFWG 3.1. The way the names are resolved to addresses hasn't changed much, if it at all. The clue is your lan scan.

It does not matter how it works but you could hurry it along with a few changes. Address reservation on the DHCP server then an entry in the hosts file.

Sorry but I didn't give a history on all this but you did give some but not all the details. I noted to try by address but am not finding where you did that.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.