Samsung forum

General discussion

Problem connecting LN40A500 with Sony Vaio notebook.

by bboyi1 / December 15, 2008 4:00 PM PST

Hi, and thank you for any help that you can provide. I bought the LN40A500 during the Thanksgiving sales because it was a great deal! I am happy with the quality of the TV and bargain. I am having a problem, however, with connecting my laptop to the TV. We had a Vizio prior to owning this one, and it was an easy plug and play. I connected the RGB to RGB cable from the laptop to TV, adjusted my laptop's display settings, and the TV would display my computer's output. With the LN40A500, I connect the same cable to the D-SUB input from my laptop's output, adjust my display settings, and the TV doesn't detect the computer. I tried refreshing the TV, but it says that there are no devices detected. I've tried a number of things and I really want to use my Samsung with my laptop but it just doesn't want to detect the computer. My laptop detects the TV because it lists my option to have a dual display as 'Monitor + Samsung". I assume that the D-SUB is only for DVI? Or the LN40A500 can only work with computers that have a DVI output? I hope not because my laptop doesn't have a DVI output and you can't change a laptop's video card. Please help!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem connecting LN40A500 with Sony Vaio notebook.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem connecting LN40A500 with Sony Vaio notebook.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
BIOS update
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 16, 2008 6:58 AM PST

bboyi1,

Most Vaio users experience success after updating their BIOS, which can reassign the pin structure to send the video signal.

Keep me posted!

--HDTech

Collapse -
BIOS
by bboyi1 / December 16, 2008 9:34 AM PST
In reply to: BIOS update

According to Sony's website, I already have the latest BIOS update.

Collapse -
I'm running a Samsung Syncmaster on my Sony Vaio.
by tedln / December 16, 2008 9:41 AM PST

About a week after I connected my Samsung to my Viao, Windows update (Vista) uploaded and installed a new driver for my Samsung Syncmaster. It had good video before the new driver. It has great video after the driver update. Check samsung for a driver instead of Sony.

Ted

Collapse -
Problem connecting LN40A500 with Sony Vaio notebook.
by Bijo77 / December 16, 2008 2:11 PM PST

use aonther VGA cable...work good with the VGA cable coming with Benq LCd monitors pack ..
checked 100% working..
may be the ;ess ground sheilding of H & V signal

Collapse -
UPDATE
by bboyi1 / December 16, 2008 2:49 PM PST

I downloaded a new driver for my NVidia Geforce Go 7400 video card. I turned off BOTH the TV and laptop. I reconnect the RGB to RGB cable, then I turned the TV back on. Next, I turned on the laptop and the TV detected the notebook! I was excited... for only a minute. So the TV displays my laptop's Windows XP login screen, as soon as I swiped my finger (Vaio's use fingerprints as password/security to login) Windows began to load and the TV lost the signal. I refreshed the TV but again it says "No devices detected..." You can't believe how frustrating this is! I've tried a number of settings, even the FN + F7. If the TV drops the signal, there is no way to get it back unless I restart the laptop. Then once I get past the login screen, the TV loses the signal again. Help! Thanks for all of your time... this is the only thing that makes me miss my Vizio, because with that TV all I had to do was plug and play.

Collapse -
Video settings...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 17, 2008 4:23 AM PST
In reply to: UPDATE

bboyi1,

I'm sorry to hear you're still having trouble.

Have you tried doing a right click > properties > settings to see if the unit is detected?

Can you change the resolutions on the secondary monitor to a higher setting than what your laptop's LCD is normally set at? Sometimes the settings for secondary monitors are equal or lower than what the television will be able to process.

Also, did you download the latest driver from Sony, or from the video card's manufacturer's site?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Losing hope.
by bboyi1 / December 25, 2008 1:03 PM PST
In reply to: Video settings...

Happy holidays! Sorry I got frustrated with the whole thing so I stopped for a while... but the feeling came back where I want to use the TV with my computer. Still, no luck. I updated the driver for the card, not from Sony. I'm out of ideas. I figure that if the TV picks up the signal after I restart the computer, maybe if I refresh the TV it'll pick up the device. Nope. I'm not sure where to go from here, or if I should just give up. Thanks anyway.

Collapse -
Samsung TV does not recognize Sony VAIO notebook
by KLValente / December 25, 2008 1:29 PM PST
In reply to: Losing hope.

Samsung TV Model: LN52A750
Sony Notebook Model: VGN-CR123E

I'm having the same issue. The Samsung TV does not recognize the Sony VAIO notebook. It does recognize every other laptop I have (3 that I tested so far). What is the model number of your Sony VAIO?

Performed a clean install on the Sony VAIO with Windows XP 64-Bit and the display drivers installed only. The issue still exists. I believe the issue is isolated to Sony VAIO notebooks. Please include TV and notebook model if anyone else is having this issue.

I'm dying to get this resolved.

Collapse -
I feel your pain.
by bboyi1 / December 25, 2008 1:59 PM PST

Sony's auto-detect states that my notebook model is VGN-SZ230P, under my notebook says PCG-6L1L. I've never really understood why they have to make things so complicated. Like I said, with my old Vizio, it was just plug and play without any restarting or anything! I love the quality of the Samsung, but the ease of use of the Vizio is so much more attractive. And for those that talked of Samsung Syncmaster... I have the TV that they sold for Black Friday, LN40A500, not a monitor. Thank you and please help!

Collapse -
Good News! I fixed it!
by KLValente / December 28, 2008 1:09 AM PST

This morning my wife just fooled around with her laptop and she got the issue resolved! Here is how she did it;
- Go to "C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Central"
- Double click "VAIO Central.exe"
- Click "Display" > double click "External Display Detection Setting"
- Check "Change the external display detection method." check box
- Click "Apply" button
Now you just have to open your TV and select the input to be PC and then switch your display from the laptop.

PS. Tell how it works out with your issue.

Collapse -
This worked for me too!
by cholero3023 / June 12, 2009 8:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Good News! I fixed it!

Dear KLValente

Many thanks for this--I spent a few hours with both Samsung and Sony Tech support, updated the bios..etc. This quick process worked immediately.

Thanks again!

Sony VGN-BX640P using a Samsung T240HD for second monitor.

Collapse -
I AM HAVING SAME PROBLEM!
by yungbuc / December 29, 2008 1:18 PM PST

I am havin the exact problem! I also have a samsung LN40A500 n tried connecting it wit my pc. since on the back of my tv theres a pc port for me to connect to, I connected it VGA to VGA n it styll says signal not found. WTF! i dunno wat to do? DID U EVER GET IT TO WORK? IF U DID LET ME KNO PLZ!

Collapse -
Safe Mode
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 29, 2008 2:25 PM PST

Try booting your computers in safe mode. Let me know if you can get to the start menu.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Nothing new.
by bboyi1 / January 1, 2009 3:07 AM PST
In reply to: Safe Mode

I've tried booting in safe mode and it won't display it at all. I tried something from another forum that worked for somebody...

- C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Central\VAIO Central.exe
- System Information\Display\Plug and Display

Messed with those settings but to no avail. Anything new? Still haven't got anything working.

Collapse -
BIOS
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 1, 2009 4:17 AM PST
In reply to: Nothing new.

If you've updated the BIOS and can't get it to work in safe mode, I don't have any other suggestions. It's either the video card in the computer, or the television.

I wish I could offer something more, but I don't know what else to suggest.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Outside help?
by bboyi1 / January 1, 2009 5:00 AM PST
In reply to: BIOS

Is there anyway to get somebody to come over and check it out? Do you know of any company or whoever that can provide such services?

Collapse -
UPDATE!
by bboyi1 / January 1, 2009 5:48 AM PST

I started Windows in Diagnostic Mode so that only the basic drivers are loaded and guess what. It worked. So I'm guessing it's one of Sony's programs or utilities that's preventing the display out from working. I'm trying to disable a number of services and startup programs that seem unneccesary.

Collapse -
Found the file.
by bboyi1 / January 1, 2009 6:34 AM PST
In reply to: UPDATE!

So I did a number of trial and error restarts, seeing which programs or services messed it up. All of the start up programs I wanted worked ok. Then I selected certain start up services. It looks like it was the "VAIO Event Service" that kept me from using an outside monitor. I disabled this and now it works, except for using the Fn on my keyboard. Now I have to figure that out, but at least I found something. Thanks again for your help! Looks like Sony doesn't like to make it an easy plug and play when it's not in the same family of products.

Collapse -
THE END.
by bboyi1 / January 1, 2009 6:46 AM PST

I've come to the end and found the solution! So I contacted Sony's Support and finally got great tech support. I briefly informed him of what I've been through, done, and came upon. Instead of the BIOS, it'd be this "VAIO Event Services" update... and what do you know, it fixes the problem where the service keeps the laptop from connecting to an outside monitor. Please use this info! I know that there's a lot of people out there needing this specific information. Here is the link that updated mine:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-download.pl?mdl=VGNSZ230P&upd_id=2287&os_id=7

Collapse -
Sorry.
by bboyi1 / January 1, 2009 7:20 AM PST
In reply to: THE END.

Sorry for the number of posts but I just kept working at it and have decided just now to take a break for another few weeks. I thought it was over. The update didn't do it. So for now if I want to use the TV with my laptop I have to disable VAIO Event Services and give up the ability to use Fn. Anybody else find something out let me know.

Collapse -
Same issues
by danxt / January 19, 2009 11:12 PM PST
In reply to: THE END.

Just purchased the samsung ln32a330.
plugged in my wife's HP laptop, and it was simple to setup the samsung tv as a second display.
Plugged in my vaio vgn-fs640/w and nothing.
I tried another monitor with my vaio, and everything worked just fine.

so it is definitely not a problem with the TV, and also not a problem with the Vaio. It is a problem with the two of them talking to each other. The samsung tv just won't even give me the option of switching to the PC input when the vaio is plugged in, but the TV picks up the HP laptop instantly.

Collapse -
connecting Sony Vaio to Samsung HDTV
by lsymes100 / January 27, 2009 11:53 PM PST
In reply to: Same issues

Just to confirm this..I have a new Samsung HD LCD TV.

I CANNOT connect Sony Vaio - Windows XP - to this as external monitor.
I CAN connect my Dell laptop - Windows XP - - to this as external monitor. Works fine
I CAN connect a real old Compaq lappy running Windows ME - to this as external monitor. Workes fine

I think this problem should be resolved by Sony with a download ( that works ) . What do we think ?

Collapse -
Same Issues
by danxt / January 28, 2009 12:45 AM PST

I emailed Sony tech support. They promptly responded with a couple of links of what I needed to install on my laptop to make it work.

Here's the text off of the update page the tech directed me to, "To resolve the issue where the computer is unable to use certain monitors, first install the BIOS Update, second install the Sony

Collapse -
Great news!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 30, 2009 9:37 PM PST
In reply to: Same Issues

danxt,

Thanks for posting your results. I have permalinked your post and will be using this information to help other users.

Much appreciated!

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.