TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Problem connecting laptop to TV using VGA/HDMI converter box

by CauliCheese / May 2, 2010 9:23 PM PDT

Good Afternoon,

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-SR29XN running Vista which I an connecting to my Panasonic Viera TV using a VGA to HDMI converter like this one:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PC-HDTV-VGA-Audio-HDMI-Converter-Adapter-1080P-V1-3-/160425837893?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_ConsumerElectronics_VideoSwitches_SM&hash=item255a200545

I have reached the point where I can extend my desktop to the TV screen. This is the second screen, i.e. the task bar / start button remains on my laptop screen.

The problem is that we get a black vertical bar towards the right hand side of the screen and further to the right it is repeating the left hand side of the display. Also I am not seeing the whole size of the screen, eg. a window that fills my laptop screen, when dragged to the second screen, missses out the top, bottom and sides of the window.

I've taken a photo of my TV to try to help explain the problem (can you tell I'm getting desperate for a solution now?!):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49851041@N03/4574440772/

1024x768 is the only resolution I have found from the list that gives me an output on the TV (even now I am using extend desktop). I have tried all the various aspect ratios on the TV but the only ones that get rid of the black bar are "zoomed in" too far so I can't see a lot of what's on the screen.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks in advance,
CauliCheese

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem connecting laptop to TV using VGA/HDMI converter box
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem connecting laptop to TV using VGA/HDMI converter box
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Don't use a VGA/HDMI converter
by Pepe7 / May 3, 2010 1:01 AM PDT

That may be one problem. Since your Panny should have VGA input and your Sony has VGA output, try that instead. At that point it will likely be a function of the video card/driver settings that permit or restrict output resolutions, and the input restrictions on the Panny via VGA.

Can you take a picture of what video output setting you have available on the Sony when you try a VGA cable? The screen grab was helpful, btw.

Collapse -
More info here
by CauliCheese / May 3, 2010 1:08 AM PDT

The full details are on the Motley Fool discussion board since that is where I first asked the question. Hope this gives the necessary additonal info.

Would be grateful for any further assistance. Feel free to post replies on here or Fool - once I get it working or reach some other conclusion, e.g. faulty hardware, I'll post it on both forums so nobody wastes their time.

I am grateful for any suggestions.

Regards,
CauliCheese

Collapse -
Please send a direct URL to the thread @ Motley
by Pepe7 / May 3, 2010 1:47 AM PDT
In reply to: More info here

I like that forum too, but for finance related topics Wink

cheers,
Pedro

Collapse -
URL of Motley Fool thread
by CauliCheese / May 3, 2010 2:08 AM PDT
Collapse -
Dump the box
by Pepe7 / May 3, 2010 2:51 AM PDT

I almost guarantee that's the issue based on what you've experienced. Plus, Panasonic will only support connecting a PC via VGA since it's covered at least in a basic sense in the user manual. I realize you *want* to use the box, but in this case VGA is necessary unfortunately.

If you want more specifics on your options, head to AVSforum.com- in the plasma sub-forum.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.