Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Problem booting with new slave disk

by worcester_ade / March 26, 2011 4:50 PM PDT

I have just installed a new internal IDE hard drive. The system was previously operating with a single disk. I have changed the jumper settings so that the original disk is set as the master and the new disk is set as slave. When I boot the system the bios report says that it recognises both the original as the master and the new disk as the slave. However, when win2000 starts to load up I get a blue screen error message saying

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0x8187DB10,0xC0000032, 0x00000000, 0x000000000) INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

The original system disk is formatted with two partions, with win2000 operating system on the f: partion/drive (which is where it was booting from) and applications on the c: partion/drive.

Any Ideas as to why it can no longer boot from the f Drive/Partion ?

Other drives on the system are; a: - Floppy, d: - CD Drive, e:- DVD Drive. If I remove the second disk and set the jumpers back to the original single disk settings, the PC happily boots into win2000 and works fine.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem booting with new slave disk
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem booting with new slave disk
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm missing details here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2011 1:11 AM PDT

I don't see what the jumper was set to ORIGINALLY. While that could help me formulate an idea I find it ODD to use Master/Slave today. Given almost all drives must be on 80 conductor cables, I use the CS jumper and let the master slave be set by the cable.

Another workaround could be to add the drive to the second IDE channel.
Bob

Collapse -
Missing details.
by worcester_ade / March 27, 2011 7:28 AM PDT

Thanks for that. Originally the disk was set as it came out of the box for single disk. (no jumper set). Will try your suggestions and post back. With CS, does it matter which physical position each disk is at on the IDE cable ? Many Thanks.

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2011 7:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Missing details.

But the IDE cable, jumper rules are widely documented today. I'll try to pitch in on the more obscure stuff.
Bob

Collapse -
Problem booting....inaccessibe device...
by uhoh_num2 / November 30, 2012 9:40 PM PST

Worcester,

Scenario given: new HD boot and get message.

My theories/thoughts: the new hd hasn't been formatted. If you can boot and get to a win gui and are able to see the new disk, have you gone through Comp>Right click icon>Manage>Disk Management? Then formatted the new hd that way. My thought is no and in order for Win to see it, it needs to be formatted by the OS to be recognized.

Also, you don't need the gui to format the disk, there are a lot of disk format software options out there for free. Your best bet though is to have the sys you're working on do it. You can do it from a command prompt if you know what you're doing though provided you have the available software/knowledge handy and understood enough to do just that. Hope this helps

uh_oh

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.