Forum Announcement

Please don't panic! You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Speakeasy

Rant

Privacy !!?? We don't need no stinking Privacy !!

by Ziks511 / December 27, 2012 / 7:11 PM UTC
http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2012/12/netflix-video-privacy-facebook-sharing

While failing to cooperate on just about everything, the Dems and Reps did manage unanimously to pass a law ensuring that law enforcement can get your NetFlix rental history, and dig into your e-mail history with out even bothering with a warrant.

And you thought nothing was happening in Congress or the Senate these days.

Why this was never publicized as an issue, I can't say. Pat Leahy tried to trade some access for improved privacy rights, but his parts of the Bill were dropped, leaving little choice between the bills on offer.

Rob
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Privacy !!?? We don't need no stinking Privacy !!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Privacy !!?? We don't need no stinking Privacy !!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
send friends your key
by James Denison / December 27, 2012 / 7:27 PM UTC

get their key and encrypt it all.

Collapse -
(NT) and that relates to netflix and library use lists how?
by Roger NC / December 29, 2012 / 7:40 AM UTC
In reply to: send friends your key
Collapse -
This complaint from a liberal
by TONI H / December 28, 2012 / 2:06 AM UTC

who sees nothing wrong with a newspaper printing a map with names and addresses of legal gun owners........but never publishes the names and locations of sex offenders or other criminal elements that the public SHOULD be told about. Good grief.

Collapse -
You must be talking about James because I don't recall
by Ziks511 / December 28, 2012 / 4:06 AM UTC

posting anything that said I supported all of that. I may have posted something, but it was about a smaller issue, not blanket agreement. I am opposed to publishing both sets of names.

Rob

Collapse -
RE: but never publishes the names and locations
by JP Bill / December 28, 2012 / 4:33 AM UTC

but never publishes the names and locations of sex offenders or other criminal elements that the public SHOULD be told about. Good grief.

Where would you draw the line? Which crimes?....When would you publish the names...When they are convicted?...Every 6 months after a conviction?

Being a gun owner isn't a crime....unless it's not registered/illegal, or you use it to commit a crime?

Some gun owners don't want others to know, and some post

THIS PROPERTY PROTECTED BY SMITH AND WESSON on their lawn.

So where does the "logic" of, if the criminals know where there are guns,...they know where to look for guns, work?

Perhaps they are preventing a robbery by posting the gun owners address.

THIS PROPERTY PROTECTED BY SMITH AND WESSON

Collapse -
Then again
by TONI H / December 28, 2012 / 5:26 AM UTC

>>>Perhaps they are preventing a robbery by posting the gun owners address.>>>

Perhaps they have actually red-flagged all those addresses that DON'T have guns registered so they can ALL be targeted for robberies.......

As for published crimes.....our local town publishes all crimes, including DUI or drunk in public or using foul language in public, and their punishments after appearances in court here. I guess they figure that if the community knows who you are and what you did, your embarrassment will stop you from repeating the offense.

Collapse -
RE: Perhaps they have actually red-flagged all those address
by JP Bill / December 28, 2012 / 7:52 AM UTC
In reply to: Then again
Perhaps they have actually red-flagged all those addresses that DON'T have guns registered so they can ALL be targeted for robberies..

Good Plan...you've planted the seed in some criminals mind, They could be in for a rude awakening.

Spend your life second guessing why not and what if and eventually your head will explode.
Collapse -
Actually
by TONI H / December 28, 2012 / 8:04 AM UTC

making people's heads explode is your specialty.

Collapse -
So far I've only been able to screw up your sinuses
by JP Bill / December 28, 2012 / 11:06 AM UTC
In reply to: Actually

but I'm not going to quit just yet.

Collapse -
So are you going to back up this allegation with evidence,
by Ziks511 / December 28, 2012 / 7:18 PM UTC

or are you going to admit you were wrong, and apologize??

You can't just offer unsubstantiated (and misdirected) accusations and an insult and then turn your back. What are you? a Conservative. Oh, ... Yeah.

Rob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 45,842 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,052 discussions
icon
Tablets 1,149 discussions
icon
Security 28,606 discussions
icon
Home Audio and Video 18,995 discussions