Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Printing wirelessly from Windows XP(Desktop)

by Carlos77d / August 24, 2009 2:16 PM PDT

Hello and thank you for looking into my concern,

To start off, I recently got a new Laptop and bought a new Router and currently have wireless internet.I have already installed the printer to my Laptop as I needed to print something from it, connected via the USB connecting from the printer that is. I've tried editing the Sharing Options from both computers and nothing has happened when I test, tried a method I read about adding a new port and it doesn't seem to work properly. I've tried most of the basic things.

If anyone has any step-by-step solution or if you can link me to a topic that already has this question answered, it would be helpful.

This are my current system info.

Intel(R) Celeron(R) D CPU 3.20GHz
2028 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
Service Pack 3 - Updated

HP Deskjet 3915

Windows Vista Home Basic
Service Pack 2
Acer - Aspire 5516
AMD Athlon(tm) Processor TF-20 1.60 GHz
2000 RAM

Would appriciate any help,

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Printing wirelessly from Windows XP(Desktop)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Printing wirelessly from Windows XP(Desktop)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have yet to find a step by step for this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 24, 2009 11:55 PM PDT

You would think there was such a thing UNTIL you realize that as we change the printer model the instructions no longer work.

This is why you only find guides and there are plenty of them. All of them should include some basic steps like.

1. Install LLTD (see google) on the XP machine.
2. Make sure you have your accounts in order. Many dismiss this and have to come back to re-learn why this matters. That is, in one line -> If you log on as tweedledee on one machine, you must be able to log on as tweedledee on the other machines.
3. Install the printer drivers if need be.
4. Share the printer.
5. LEARN ABOUT YOUR FIREWALL and learn how to allow sharing.

As you imagine there can never be a step by step.

Collapse -
RE: Printing wirelessly from Windows XP(Desktop)
by Carlos77d / August 28, 2009 3:21 AM PDT

I would like to add that the printer is not compatiable with Windows Vista.

When I try to manually install the printer with the CD, I recieve an error saying that the current OS system in your Laptop cannot install HP Deskjet 3915.

Although this is happening, when I connect the printer via USB to the laptop, it finds the printer and installs it properly but with a different name. Instead of HP Deskjet 3900 as the Window xp Desktop, it's now showing HP Deskjet 3920/3940.

I will keep trying to follow some guides and look for anything that can help me print wirelessly. If you know anything in related to this topic then I will appreiciate your help.

Thank you,

Collapse -
"the printer is not compatiable with Windows Vista."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 28, 2009 6:33 AM PDT

Ouch. That explains your troubles quite well. How about this -> Copy the files to the old XP box and go there to print them.

Collapse -
by Carlos77d / September 1, 2009 3:25 PM PDT

Ok so I've kept looking around in the internet to find a solution to this.

So far I can see the network and the printer used in my desktop. Here is an error that I get every time I try to use this printer.

Anyone know about this, please post.

Collapse -
Solution for HP network Printer
by johndouglaselliott / August 28, 2009 1:56 PM PDT

with my HP printer I have found that
1) Delete the printer on the laptop
2) Resinstall from the media on the laptop. The software will find the printer during the discovery phase.

Make sure the printer IP address is in the allowed range configured on your router.

Collapse -
by Carlos77d / September 1, 2009 4:04 PM PDT

Basically after much researching, I found this.
#1 Go into Control Panel
#2 Underneath the Hardware and Sound category, click on Printer
#3 Click on Add a printer from the top menu
#4 Click on Add a Local Printer
#5 Choose Create a New Port with type of port remaining Local Port, then click Next
#6 In the Port Name box type the path to the printer you wish to connect to and Click Ok

Ex. \\mycomputer\myprinter

The steps after this is that they will ask you to Install the Printer that you have.

Find the printer that suits you and Print Test Page.

I plugged in my currect computer and printer name and it worked. Thanks for trying to fix my problem. I Hope this helps others that are stuck on the same problem.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.