Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

printing to remote printer from other locations via internet

by a_mad_scotsman / February 9, 2005 5:06 AM PST

I'm a student, and a lot of printing that I do doesn't need to be collected straight away - lecture notes etc.

I was wondering if it's possible to set up my laptop so that I could print to my printer at home, via the internet, while I'm at university (printing costs at uni are high)

I've got an always on broadband connection, Linksys router and my printer is connected to it by means of a printserver (attached to the printer, not a dedicated printserver PC)

Although my broadband connection has a dynamic IP address, this tends to stay the same for several months on end, due to the router being connected to the modem, and I could probably persuade my ISP to change it to a static IP address.

Any suggestions MUCH appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: printing to remote printer from other locations via internet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: printing to remote printer from other locations via internet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Printing remotely to home printer....
by larrybell / February 11, 2005 3:49 PM PST

I think your best bet would be to sign up for GoToMyPC service. Yes, you would have to have your home PC on and the GoToMyPC application running, but of course you dont have to have the monitor on.

This (I think) would be the only way you could guarantee that you could make a connection to your home PC from anywhere (power outage not withstanding). Since your ISP could do just about anything that would make your dynamic IP address change at any time, you really can't guarantee being able to make a connection when you need it.

Besides, this is exactly what GoToMyPC is for (no I Don't work for them). It was written so you could use it with Dynamic IP addresses. It is a really nice solution, but I didn't have enough need to justify the small cost.

Larry Bell

Collapse -
fair enough, but...
by a_mad_scotsman / February 13, 2005 12:28 AM PST

would it be at all possible to do what I want if I could persuade my ISP, either by being especially nice to them, or with menaces Happy ,to change me to a static IP address. Basically it seems like all I want to do is to print to a networked printer (or do I have this all wrong?)

Collapse -
Printing.....
by larrybell / February 21, 2005 7:06 AM PST
In reply to: fair enough, but...

I inquired from my ISP (Comcast Cable) if there was any option to get a static IP address. I kind of toyed with a Home based business that would require a static IP. They don't reall offer them. The way I understood it, not even to businesses (yet)

I understood that they are working on some business package that would allow a business to get a static IP, but I'm sure that it would probably cost extra.

It probably isn't cost, or technically effective for them to provide residential customers a static address. That would be why we can't get it. But if a business wanted one, they maybe could get it if they want to pay the extra.

But since you don't need to pick up the printouts right away, and wouldn't be able to do it until you are home anyway, why not wait until you go home to do the printing in the first place ?? Unless you have MOUNDS of stuff to print, or your printer is painfully slow, I don't really see the reason to have to print the stuff remotely.
If the reason is to leave your laptop at school for someone else to use (boy I wouldn't), and get the printouts when you go home, I could maybe understand. At least send the stuff you want to print in Emails to yourself to an Email account with lots of storage. Then download and print it when you go home. Otherwise let it print while you eat, sleep, party with your friends, talk with mom and dad, etc.

Collapse -
remote printing option
by jsys1 / February 13, 2005 2:11 PM PST

What I use is MyWebEx PC, it's kind of like GoToMyPC but I like it because it's FREE...

http://www.mywebexpc.com/

The remote printing option is in their Pro version, but they let you use that for free until April 4th. They don't ask for a credit card, so you don't have to worry about being forgetting to cancel and being billed.

From what you're talking about you may eventually find a solution that's more direct, but I'd definitely recommend MyWebEx PC for getting up and running in the meantime.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Many thanks guys
by a_mad_scotsman / February 13, 2005 10:14 PM PST
In reply to: remote printing option
Collapse -
Better late than never
by GreenAdmin / June 21, 2005 4:42 AM PDT
In reply to: remote printing option

Hey Guys,
I'd hold off on MyWebExPC for your remote printing. I've had some issues with getting it to work all the time, and it's only free as long as you are under 5 computers. LogMeIn.com is completely free and not restricted to a certain number of computers. Hopefully this will help you out a bit.

-Rob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.