Dell forum

Printing colour document on black and white Dell 5200

by tcritchley07 / December 18, 2012 5:46 AM PST

I have recently move form XP to Win7 and wghn I print documents with coloured text or even grey-shade text, it prints in almost unreadable faint form even if I choose the 'print black and white and grey scale' option. What else can I do? Over half the documents I wish to print are not pure black and white.
PS How do I see any answers from this query as I've tried lots of forums for other Win issues but can't find out how to get an annswer.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Printing colour document on black and white Dell 5200
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Printing colour document on black and white Dell 5200
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
You wrote DOCUMENTS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 18, 2012 5:54 AM PST

Since these are your documents you can, in Word open them then Edit, Select All and then set the font color to black. Now print that and your choice to save the document.

Does not appear to be a Win issue at all.

Collapse -
Documents in colour need B&W printing
by tcritchley07 / December 18, 2012 8:12 AM PST
In reply to: You wrote DOCUMENTS.

Thanks for the interest.
The problem is not just with Word but PDF files (which won't let me change colours) and stuff from the internet where most IT papers go in for colour headings, titles, emphasised words/phrases and other 'non-main' text. Makes them virtually impossible to read. Bring back pure black and white.

Collapse -
And Adobe Reader does this too!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 18, 2012 8:18 AM PST
Collapse -
PDF Files
by tcritchley07 / December 18, 2012 4:13 PM PST

I don't write them - they are downloaded form various sites in forms I can't alter.

Collapse -
Re: forms
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 18, 2012 4:25 PM PST
In reply to: PDF Files

Bob linked to a page about changing font color in Adobe READER . So it's unclear why you shouldn't be able to use that feature in the downloaded pdf's.

Did you already try other readers like Foxit and Nitro (both are free)?

If it did work in XP with the same printer, it might be a driver issue. Are you using the latest Dell driver for that printer for Windows 7?

An option to consider is to buy a cheap color (inkjet) printer and use that for the printing of these documents. That's cheaper than buying a pdf-editor (and that might fail if the pdf is locked for editing).

Finally, in Windows 7 Pro and Ultimate you can install Virtual XP and use that to print. In Windows 7 Home you can install XP in Virtualbox (Virtualbox is free, XP isn't).

Collapse -
Colour to B&W on Dell 5200
by tcritchley07 / December 19, 2012 11:14 PM PST
In reply to: Re: forms

Thanks Bob and Kees. Bob's site I've tried but the instructions fail to give me colour/faint text to solid B&W. I'm beginning to think it IS a driver issue as I've checked all known boxes in all known options to point to B&W. When I went XP->Win7, I searched the web for drivers and downloaded everything that looked appropriate.
1. How do I find the CORRECT driver?
2. as an aside, how do I get HTML internet docs to print in larger font? Most of them that I access are coming out with problem 1. (the current one) and virtually unreadable font size (am using a magnifying glass)! As a sample, anyone care to look at the URL below and print it off?

and let me know. Most of my copy is very faint and in what looks like 8pt (or less) font.

Collapse -
Colour/B&W Printing on Dell 5200
by tcritchley07 / December 18, 2012 4:22 PM PST
In reply to: You wrote DOCUMENTS.

There seems to be a misunderstanding over the documents. I have NO control over them - they are mainly PDF, HTML and other documents downloaded from web sites, plus web pages simply viewed. I need to know how to tell my printer to interpret print what it sees as hex characters, in black and white and not fiddle about with colour.
If there is a way to change colours before printing , I can't see what it is.

Collapse -
I supplied methods for Word, PDF and for the web.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 19, 2012 12:41 AM PST

There are other ways such as pasting it in Word and changing the color there.

Since the 3 types can be dealt with, there is a way to keep using your printer.

Collapse -
Colour Documents in B&W Dell on 5200
by tcritchley07 / December 19, 2012 7:38 PM PST

Thanks for the input Bob but my problem is more complex than that. Cut and Paste, when it is allowed by the document, offten loses formatting and certainly diagrams and pictures. Some PDF documents won't let you do anything with it except look at it and possibly print. Not sure if it will work with HTML docs on the screen but I'll try. Either way it's a pain having to fiddle about this way.
There must be a way to tell the printer to print everything it sees including diagrams but in pure B&W?

Collapse -
And even that can be dealt with.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 19, 2012 11:52 PM PST

It appears that I may have been wrong in thinking you wanted to know how to get around this issue. I see that now and while I can share solution after solution I now see that you want what you had before and not a list of workarounds or procedures for each document type.

Sorry but for me I have no issue with the document types mentioned so far on laser black and white since I can deal with each with some process.

Why it seems OK to me is that I wrote my first program on a GE-210 and lived with far harder to use systems. If I have to put a document through some image processor to get the result then that's fine by me.

Collapse -
Dell 5200 Colour/B&W Printing
by tcritchley07 / December 30, 2012 10:59 PM PST

I'm still in a mess with tiny/faint HTML output on my printer and faint 'anything' else that isn't already pure B&W.
What about a new driver? Where do I get one?
Reminder: Everything was fine on XP and issues have arisen when moving to Win7 and upgrading Office products.

Collapse -
Good luck.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2012 2:14 AM PST

I think you know the issue well and the solutions as well. I don't want to upset you by writing them out here.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.