Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

printer won't print excel and word documents

by cimarron115 / May 29, 2006 10:11 AM PDT

epson just replaced my 6600 series printer..I printed just fine from my Print Shop document, but when I tried to print a Excel and Word document, when the interface came up, the status of the printer was "idle". I've reinstalled the printer, turned off the computer and restarted it, nothing seems to make it print.. any answers out there???

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: printer won't print excel and word documents
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: printer won't print excel and word documents
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Any error message?
by John.Wilkinson / May 29, 2006 11:00 AM PDT

* What happens when you click OK on the print dialog? Does it freeze, does it display an error message, or does it return to the document and do nothing?

* Under Printer, did you make sure that your printer is selected and not "Microsoft Office Document Image Writer?"

* The status of the printer being 'idel' is normal, simply meaning that the printer is not yet processing a job, but instead ready and waiting for a command, such as the one you're about to give.

John

Collapse -
excel documents not printing
by cimarron115 / May 29, 2006 11:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Any error message?

when I click on file, and print... the printer interface come up as usual asking how many copies, etc, but the status says idle, and if I hit print ... another interface comes up saying printer not ready to print, check the connections, etc.. I can switch over to a print shop document or notepad and it will print with no problem.. just not excel or word..
you mentioned making sure printer was marked and not Microsoft etc....where do I check that out at. I didn't see it on any of the tabs .....

Collapse -
You said Epson replaced your printer
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 29, 2006 8:34 PM PDT

When they did that, how did they do it? Did they come out personally or did they send you a new printer?

Did they, or you, delete the old printer from Start > Printer's and Faxes? If not, delete the old one now.

Did they, or you, install any new software for the printer?

Is the new printer set as default? In the same Printer's & Faxes window, rightclick the new printer, and see if you have an option to "Set as default". If you do not, then it is already set as default.

In Microsoft Word, (and do the same in Excel), goto File > Print. In the Print window that displays, make sure that the Epson is displayed as Printer "Name". If not, click the down arrow in the Name field, and select your printer. Click OK to print a page to test it.

See if that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
still not printing
by cimarron115 / May 30, 2006 4:24 AM PDT

I really don't believe now that the printer is the problem. Epson replace the printer because of a clogged head.. I set it up again. but I did uninstall old one first, and reinstalled new one and the software.. It will print anything from other sources and documents, just not Word & Excel which leads me to believe the problem is maybe corrupt files for some reason..This morning I saved a document to a floppy, and used a different computer and printer, and now I have the same problem on that computer.
the status on the the printer interface says "idle"
I briefly read somewhere that sometimes if you attach a document to an email that if it isn't (converted) (whatever that means) it may cause problems, and I did attach some and to be sure it was the correct one, I opened it from the attachment in the email. this may have caused me some problems..
Any ideas??

Collapse -
Your reply?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 30, 2006 4:31 AM PDT

Cimarron, I believe you have replied here;
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=179827&messageID=1969949
by creating a new discussion, and not clicking the ''Reply to this message'' button.

If so, you said;

''excel documents not printing

They sent me a new printer because a head was clogged. I did uninstall the old one, and reinstalled the new one and the software..
the more things I check out, the more I think its not the fault of the printer, because it prints fine from all other programs.. I think there is a communication problem between Word, Excel and the printer..
I think I have to research more about those programs and the problems they cause..
''

Did you try the things I suggested? eg;

1] Did you delete the old printer from Start > Printer's and Faxes? If not, delete the old one now.

2] Is the new printer set as default? In the same Printer's & Faxes window, rightclick the new printer, and see if you have an option to ''Set as default''. If you do not, then it is already set as default.

3] In Microsoft Word, (and do the same in Excel), goto File > Print. In the Print window that displays, make sure that the Epson is displayed as Printer ''Name''. If not, click the down arrow in the Name field, and select your printer. Click OK to print a page to test it.

Tell me what happened when you tried those?

Collapse -
It could well be
by Themisive / May 30, 2006 7:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Your reply?

That the Office programmes need repairing, just put your Office CD in the drive, then go to Control Panel and Add/Remove Programmes, click on the Change/Remove button, and choose the Repair function.

Collapse -
done that
by cimarron115 / May 30, 2006 8:35 AM PDT
In reply to: It could well be

I have uninstalled my office program and reinstalled,I have restored my system, I have done just about everything I can think of or read on forums..
On one forum... it said something about using preview and printing from there, well with much fumbling around, I finally did get it to print from there, but it still doesn't remedy the problem and whats causing it.
I know it has to be something wrong with some word or excel application. just don't know what to check out anymore... the printer just isn't communicating with the word program..

Collapse -
Try This
by Themisive / May 30, 2006 11:52 PM PDT
In reply to: done that

I know it sounds a bit drastic, but it may well be necessary.

What mobo do you have? Look in the manual and you should be given it's chipset number, for instance my chipset is VIA GA-7VA. Go to the chipset manufactuer's website, and search for the cipset number, get the latest driver for your chipset.

It may well be a good idea to get updated drivers for your printer as well.

Install these and let us know how you get on.

Collapse -
I'm having the same problem
by Xeon.Blue / September 12, 2009 3:31 AM PDT

I'm having the same problem with Microsoft Word and Excel. MS OneNote prints fine however. I checked the printer drivers, and all of the other applications I have will print and show a printer status of 'Ready', except for Word and Excel which says that the printer status is 'idle'. Another interesting thing is that when I try to print to MS OneNote by selecting it from the printer dropdown menu in the Print dialog window, it still has an 'idle' status. That makes me think it's MS Word and Excel, not a hardware issue or driver issue. To print what I want, I have to highlight everything in the document, copy it into OneNote, and print from OneNote. But nothing I've tried will get Word or Excel to print, not even print to OneNote. I'm wondering if it's a Service Pack issue.(?)

Collapse -
same problem-printer isn't recognized by MS Word.
by Sanaus / October 10, 2009 11:33 AM PDT

I am having the same exact problem as Xeon.Blue. Printer worked great until MS sent some update and ever since then Word won't print. All other programs will print but slow. I did everything everyone suggested, uninstalled, re-installed, downloaded newest driver, etc. Has anyone found out what to do?

Collapse -
(NT) having the same issue
by techlives / October 13, 2010 1:53 AM PDT
Collapse -
having the same issue
by techlives / October 13, 2010 1:56 AM PDT

same problem is occurring on two windows computers (a mac is working fine). Started on both computers last week. Will not print from either MS word or from Open office writer on either computer. If I do a print preview, it will work. Its really frustrating - can't find any settings on either computer that explain the issue.

Collapse -
additonal info to earlier post
by techlives / October 13, 2010 3:21 AM PDT
In reply to: having the same issue

I should also mention that if I convert MS word file to PDF, then it prints OK.

Collapse -
My Issue too!
by Basilbolli / May 14, 2013 8:44 PM PDT

Just tried printing PDF document and that works but no luck with Word or excel!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.