Windows 7 forum

Printer sharing problem (Win 7 & XP network)

by alsdock / February 28, 2013 10:34 PM PST

I have a HP Laserjet 4L connected via parallel and a HP Deskjet 932c connected via USB to a desktop with XP. My laptop recognizes the desktop (wireless network) and it's installed printers. From my laptop (Windows 7), I'm able to print to the laserjet however can't print to the deskjet. During the printer setup on the laptop, a messege indicated that a driver is needed.
I did connect the deskjet to the laptop and had no problems printing, but when I reconnected the deskjet to the desktop, nothing prints. I can see the document in the print que for the deskjet but nothing happens.
Can anyone help or explain what the problem is?
Also I can retrieve documents from the desktop from my laptop but cannot from my desktop to my laptop. Is XP not compatable with Windows 7?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Printer sharing problem (Win 7 & XP network)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Printer sharing problem (Win 7 & XP network)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Try Network Magic
by wpgwpg / February 28, 2013 10:40 PM PST

Cisco's Network Magic has always worked for me.

Good luck.

Collapse -
It's compatible.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2013 11:56 PM PST

But if you read prior discussions about it, it's not intuitive how to set it up. For example most folk can't get the accounts right, not to mention those other settings. Some day I'd like to find out why folk don't want to use the accounts as they were meant as well as the prior discussions.

Collapse -
by alsdock / March 1, 2013 1:20 AM PST
In reply to: It's compatible.

Thanks for your comment but you didn't answer my question(s). Yes, I can access documents on my desktop running XP using my laptop running 7. However I cannot access my documents on my laptop using my desktop.
In addition, when using my laptop, I cannot print a document to the Deskjet 932c that's connected to the desktop but I can print a document to the Laserjet 4L connected to the Desktop.
So as much as I glanced over previous discussions regarding this debachle, I have yet to find a solution.
Do you have one?

Collapse -
No I don't have a single simple solution.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2013 1:55 AM PST
In reply to: compatible?

I continue to use the prior discussions about accounts and once in a while the usual registry edits but if folk install a firewall then we deal with that. There is no single simple solution.

There are many. Here I can't offer anything that hasn't been discussed before since details are missing. And I didn't ask for such because I have yet to read what you have done so far.

-> You bring up a good point. That is, since there is no straight answer to this question, is it game over for Microsoft?

Collapse -
And You've Performed ALL These Steps?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 1, 2013 3:18 AM PST
In reply to: compatible?

As Bob stated, there are no "do this" type of answers regarding creating a good network, but following the steps below usually get it done.. And since you mentioned shared printers, I've placed some tips in bold toward the lower section which will frequently set up the printer connection correctly.

First, IF any XP computers are on the network, install LLTD on the XP computer to help Vista/Win7 map the XP computer better.

1. Plug router into the modem, then connect all computers to the router.. Make sure they all have an internet connection. Then adjust any router settings such as a wireless security password by using the wired computers only.

2. Create the EXACT same username on all computers, with the same password, and give that user administrative privileges. (Don't use the default "adminstrator" login.. Create a new admin user on all machines.)

3. On all computers, using the new username, change the "Workgroup" to be exactly the same.. (RIGHT click on "Computer", choose "Properties", select "Advance system settings" in the upper left, then click on the "Computer Name" tab. When that opens, click on the "Change" button next to "To rename this computer or join a domain". On the next window, place a dot/tick in the "Workgroup" selection and give the the workgroup a name..) Make sure all computers have the same workgroup name.

4. Make sure all computers have "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" enabled. Open the Control Panel/Network & Sharing Center" icon, select "Change Adapter Settings" in upper left, then RIGHT click on the "Local Area Connection" icon, choose "Properties". When that window loads, make sure the box next to "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" has a CHECK mark in it.

Also make sure "Network Discovery" is enabled on all your computer by opening the same Control Panel/Network & Sharing Center" icon, then select "Change advanced sharing settings". Once there, make sure your "Home or Work" network settings have "Turn ON network discovery" enabled.

5. This next section depends on the version of Windows you're using.. Home versions of Windows 7 are slightly different than Pro versions, but it should give you a starting point. If you're wanting to share folders between computers, On computer 1, share out the files, folders and printers by opening Windows Explorer, RIGHT click on the C: drive, choose "Sharing and Security" or (Share With)-"Advanced Sharing", then click on the "Advanced Sharing" button. At the next window, place a CHECK mark in the "Share this folder on the network", then follow the prompts to share the drive. Click on Apply, then OK.. Perform the same thing on computer 2, etc... You should now be able to see and share folders between computers.

Please note, sharing the entire C: drive per the instructions above is not safe.. IF you're going to share files between computers, it's best, after following the above instructions, to then share out a single folder, such as the "My Documents" folder.. Once the "My Documents" folder is correctly shared, you can then return to the C: drive and "unshare" it.. After doing so, the "My Documents" folder will remain shared but the entire C: drive will be invisible.

6. In order to share a printer with others on the network, on the computer where the printer is installed, you'll need to click on Start-Device and Printers', then RIGHT click on the installed printer and "Share" it.

If connecting to a shared XP printer from a Vista/Win7 machine, instead of installing a new "network" printer from the Vista/Win7 computer, install the printer as if it was a "local" computer using the instructions below. (Yes, I know it's "network" printer but please try the instructions below.):

Go to Control Panel. Choose printer. Then choose Add Printer.

Choose Add a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in the drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.

A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type in the \\computer name\printer name of the XP My computer's name is basement and the printer name is EpsonSty so I typed in \\basement\epsonsty

Next, see the link below for other networking tips:

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
I now am using ATT Uverse w/ wireless setup
by alsdock / March 2, 2013 9:10 AM PST

Awhile back before I signed up with ATT's Uverse, I was connected to internet via DSL using a modem provided by ATT. From the modem was wired to a D-Link router and had the XP desktop wired to the router. The laptop was setup to the router via wireless, but to set up the network originally, everything was wired. I think I followed the steps you identified but I still couldn't get the desktop to access the docs on the laptop even though the laptop was identified from the desktop. Again, I couldn't print to the inkjet connected to the desktop but could successfully print to the laserjet.
Now that I changed things a bit since I converted to ATT U-Verse, the uverse modem is located elsewhere in the house and I installed a wireless adapter to the desktop. So now, the laptop & desktop are wireless (as well as Smart TV). So per the steps above, I cannot physically wire everything back up to the new modem. And I'm not sure I need to either, since I can still access docs & music & photos on the desktop from the laptop (sharing set to my docs, music and pictures on desktop). When I add a printer on the laptop, it searches network and identifies the deskjet installed to the desktop. After I highlite the deskjet and select continue, it tries, but then provides a message saying that it needs the driver. I tried to find a driver that supports windows 7 to install in the desktop thinking that's where it should be, but there isn't one available that I can find. I'm told that Windows 7 supports the deskjet. Again, I connected the deskjet directly to the laptop and no problem whatsoever. So her I sit, totally baffled as to how to get this to work.
Do I need to purchase a device where both printer plug into and can work wirelessly from either computer? Am I missing something here?

Collapse -
Something To Make Sure Of Then...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 2, 2013 9:55 AM PST

Sometimes it comes down to "permissions". If the XP computer can't access docs on the Win7 computer, the permissions for sharing may be wrong.. (Note the instructions I gave earlier to create a new user name, with ADMIN rights, and create it on all the computers, then login with that user and start sharing from scratch.)

I also have a ATT U-verse connection at one of my accounts.. At that account, the default system was set up by ATT so "wireless" connections COULD NOT make any changes to the network's settings. For me, the initial setup was made with a wired connection to the router in one of the rooms which is remote from the router.. (Just a NOTE about ATT Uverse... With a little badgering, we were able to get the ATT technician to place WIRED jack outlets in ALL of the rooms so a wired connection could be made anywhere in the house... At NO EXTRA COST. They're placed at all locations where a phone jack exists.) That said, you could easily plug a wireless laptop into the modem/router unit, then fix all settings from there. Not all units need to be "wired".. Only the one creating the settings.

Then again, if the default is not set to "ban" wireless units from changing network settings, all the other things still apply.. You still need to create the EXACT same user name and password on all the computers.. It still needs to be an "admin" user login....and you'll still need to recreate all sharing and printer setups from scratch. Something that was done on a previous network is irrelevant here..

As to the driver, it IS entirely possible there is a driver problem. The laptop will indeed want to install the driver associated with printer. It may be because you are not using an admin login on all the computers that accepted by Windows 7.. (Remember the "Permissions" for login that I mentioned earlier.)_ Or...your not adding the printer per the instructions I gave.... Or...your incorrectly installing the driver which is in Windows 7 driver database.

Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.