This area can confuse folk. Let's try to clear it up.
On your client machine, let's say your login name is CLINT. Now go to the printer server PC and can you log in as CLINT?
There's more such as firewalls in the router and PCs but let's start with the usual account issues.
I have tried to establish a HomeGroup so I can share printers. PC1 prints ok via a USB port, however, PC2 dies not print at all. When I go to Devices and Printers I can see my PC1 printer. I have the shared printer box check but nothing happens.
I have removed the printer from Devices and Printers on PC2 and selected "Add a printer" and then selected "Select a shared printer" then click Browse and I see PC1. When I select PC1 it asks for a user name and password. I tried using the user name and password for PC1 and tried using the user name and password for PC2 but nothing happens.
This have been very frustrating and I need to share my printer that is connected to PC1 (my desktop).
I am running Windows 7 64 bit on both machines and I have the printer driver installed on both machines and I am wired from PC1 to my wireless router. I can share file and folders from PC2, co I know that each computer is communicating.
This is what is happing now:
1. I open Devices and Printers
2. Add a printer
3. Click Ad a network wireless or Blue tooth printer
4. Click on The printer that U want isn't listed
5. Select a shared printer by name & browse
6. I see the desktop PC & Select it
7. I see the printer and Select it
8. Click Next in the Add printers window
9. the I get a message that reads, " Windows cannot connect to the printer"
What can I do to resolve this issue. Any help will be appreciated.