Computer Help forum

Question

Printer not working....not a basic fix

by t_rockney / November 21, 2012 7:04 AM PST

Okay so here it goes.

1. My HP PSC 750 (printer) is not working in Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.

2. My print spooler will not turn on regardless of what I try.

3. I have a windows application error always occurring at the admin section when I first log on. No other log-ins have this error...just the admin.

4. One of my USB ports keeps failing

5. I have an unidentified device I cannot uninstall from my computer.

6. I can provide more info if necessary but I think all of the issues stem from one root problem that I cant identify.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Trev

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Printer not working....not a basic fix
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Printer not working....not a basic fix
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
2. My print spooler will not turn on regardless of what I tr
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 21, 2012 7:08 AM PST

2. My print spooler will not turn on regardless of what I try.

That's what I'd focus on. There are a few causes such as malware or other OS damage but tell more about how this happened.
Bob

Collapse -
How the print spooler stopped spooling.
by t_rockney / November 21, 2012 9:40 AM PST

It happened a few weeks ago. I have had the computer since June of this year (2012) with the printer attached to it and working just fine. It was sending scanning, copying, and printing like a charm. Then the printer went down. The scanner and copier worked fine. So I uninstalled the printer and went to re-install it. This is when I found the error message "The Local Print Spooler service is not running". I attempted to restart the service and nothing. I ran scan disk...nothing. I cleared the Printer folder...nothing. I ran Microsoft updates and of course...nothing. Basically, I am not sure what triggered the print spooler to stop and no matter what program I run to identify the problem it appears unfixable....

Collapse -
Could be too many things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 21, 2012 9:44 AM PST
Collapse -
Okay
by t_rockney / November 21, 2012 7:03 PM PST

Well, so I played around for the last 4 hours with trying to fix this problem. The tools listed above were helpful. After running the programs above, I was able to clean up some Spyware but the problem was not fixed. I did however come to realize that I had a google redirect virus. So...I found a cool video on ways to remove it and did so... (It wasn't a walk in the park, but I figured it out).

This led to a few of the problems being resolved but not all of them.

1. My HP PSC 750 (printer) is not working in Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. (Fixed)

2. My print spooler will not turn on regardless of what I try. (Fixed)

3. I have a windows application error always occurring at the admin section when I first log on. No other log-ins have this error...just the admin. (Fixed)

4. One of my USB ports keeps failing (Not Fixed)

5. I have an unidentified device I cannot uninstall from my computer. (Not Fixed)

So...the first three problems were solved. The next issue remains the Universal Serial Bus Controllers. The device is unable to be reset through uninstalling the Host Controller. It continues to return with this error: Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43) So, I amhoping for cool insight into tackling this next issue.

Thanks,

Trev

Collapse -
Hp PSC 750
by pgc3 / November 21, 2012 11:53 PM PST
In reply to: Okay

Usually the issue(CODE 43) is driver related, assuming you have downloaded, from HP's drivers and support site, the latest (if available) drivers package for Win7 64 bit for the PSC 750. Since that is an older unit you would need to do the software update since the original drivers wouldn't likely cover Win 7.

Collapse -
No
by t_rockney / November 22, 2012 1:41 AM PST
In reply to: Hp PSC 750

Sorry

Hp PSC 750,
That is not the issue. Again the printer installs and works fine now. Its the random unidentified device that I cant seem to get rid of.

There is a viable pathway Control panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Devices and Printers - > Printers and Faxes -> HP PSC that displays the HP PSC as working normally.

HOWEVER

<div>There is a pathway below that visually that depicts

Control panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Devices and Printers - > Unspecified Device -> Unknown Device that I cannot remove. </div>

Collapse -
Answer
Sounds like progress.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2012 1:46 AM PST

If the printer is working I have to leave it there. I know folk that want pristine, perfect device managers and event viewer logs but I can't help them. It's windows. I settle for it working.
Bob

Collapse -
Working
by pgc3 / November 22, 2012 2:37 AM PST
In reply to: Sounds like progress.

I second that, short of a format reload and not knowing other system rammifications, software, downloads etc. that 's what I'd do. Of course a registry search, if you could identify the unknown device might be an avenue to pursue but uhhhhhh, I wouldn't go there unless I knew exactly what is was.

Collapse -
The most common unknown thing I run into
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2012 2:58 AM PST
In reply to: Working

Is a dial up modem. I find many folk don't know what that is today and neither does Windows.
Bob

Collapse -
lol
by t_rockney / November 22, 2012 9:07 AM PST

I remember dial up...that was so long ago. Wink So I am researching Code 43 error resolutions and not coming up with anything useful yet.

Collapse -
Help me out too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2012 9:31 AM PST
In reply to: lol

Code 43 on what? Any more clues?

Collapse -
ok
by t_rockney / November 22, 2012 11:18 AM PST
In reply to: Help me out too.

So, the error 43 is a part of the unidentified device itself....."Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"

I am playing with a few things.....

1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k03Hy3SXq-k I performed all steps in this video....but I had two folders with usbstor.inf and usbstor.PNF files. I copied both instances into the folder shown on the video (separate occasions) and nothing.......

2) I have tried uninstalling the device itself.... in this case it does uninstall. BUT, upon restart of the system it comes right back.

3) of note: the location of the unidentified device: Port_#0005.Hub_#0004

4) I have tried uninstalling just the serial bus controllers and restarting....but the mouse won't work when I do this so I use the restart button on the computer..... so maybe the manual restart affects a safe shutdown and effective implementation...I don't know.

5) The problem is caused by evil black magic. I am sure of this.

Collapse -
(NT) Until something doesn't work, a mystery indeed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2012 3:20 PM PST
In reply to: ok
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.